Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should Ratatouille the ride be in Paris?

Hi guys and gals

Quick question for ya all?

do you think the new Ratatouille ride belongs in DLP or should it have been built elsewhere where a Parisian theme would have made more sense?

it seams odd to me to build a Paris themed area just outside Paris itself. I would have thought a more exotic theme for Europeans would have been better.

What do the rest of you think?
    Last edited by robbiem; 06-07-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Tried to add pole

Re: Should Ratatouille the ride be in Paris?

Yes, this ride is perfect for France. Disney has created Disney California Adventure in California. And needless to say that French people are very chauvinist.

Moreover, Walt Disney Studios park sucks. It is a really bad theme park that needs great family rides. An attraction like this is perfect for this park.

But I think Ratatouille L'Aventure Totalement Toquee de Remy would also make perfect sense in EPCOT.

The ride is perfect for WDS because the park is pretty bad and needs more to do. It is fine that it takes place in Paris because DCA is in California and is about California.

It makes total sense... The French rightly passionate about France they will make sure they won't do it an injustice. In a park that sadly lacks an immersive themed experiences - on the whole its blank Warner Bros Sound stage like buildings with stuff in them - peeking through the crack in the fence this last Tuesday it looks like a wonderfully beautiful treat we have in store. Hopefully they're remember what they did and put as much effort in other new areas of the park when they eventually are developed.
    Name:  IMG_7296.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  160.4 KB

• Bangarang!

As others have said, I think the need of the park outweighs the potential issue with building a representation of Paris near the City of Lights.

Besides its neither a toonified version nor a completely faithful recreation, its Remy's Paris, so they get away with it on that front.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

I've seen Place de Remy in person, its breathtaking in its beauty. Its very accurate to Paris and its like being in the 1er with an imagination.

Of course this ride belongs in DLP. To put the shoe of the other foot why is Soarin' in DCA why isn't it in Hong Kong?

• Minion

To the people saying it's fine because DCA is in California, wasn't that one of the main criticisms of DCA? That a park about California in California doesn't work.

Ratatouille as a property is extremely popular in France. I think the decision to put Ratatouille in WDAS was less "Lets build a French section in WDS" and more "The French really like Ratatouille so lets build a thematically accurate version in WDS"

• Bangarang!

Thing is, what else could they build? I'm pretty sure that if it was another studio building, like Crush, there would be complaints that EuroDisney have once again cheaped out.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Not here to help

The answer is NO!

The park is a mess and needs a solid theme, not a mix of good and terrible. I do not like the place more just because they have built an OK ride looking ride.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The answer is NO!

The park is a mess and needs a solid theme, not a mix of good and terrible. I do not like the place more just because they have built an OK ride looking ride.
    but surely, using this logic it's a step in the right direction?

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The answer is NO!

Too bad already built.... But yeah..a mix of good terrible seem to be the trend in Dyscorps parks.. "To provide different experiences for all" I hate hearing that answer to poor quality

No - the area and ride look great but why put a Paris land so close to the real thing. You could have had just as great a themed area based on something more exotic for Europeans DCA and this are just lazy and unimaginative. I mean how much more fun would it have been to Europeans to explore one of the Disneysea ports for example?

• Bangarang!

But if they're building a Ratatouille attraction, where else can it be set?

We'd all complain if they just did another studio façade. Now that'd be lazy and unimaginative. At least with Place Remy they have themed it to match the films interpretation of Paris.

Walt Disney

It's not necessarily a bad idea to have a land set in Paris, there could be more to it than just that though.

WDS is a film park, so why not add more homages to films set in Paris? France has a rich movie history, with films set in Paris, like the first French sound film " Sous les Toits de Paris", "Le Ballon Rouge", or even the more modern ones like " Amelie". All sources they could have taken inspiration from. Not to mention, there are more Disney films than just Ratatouille set in Paris. Why not build an early 20th century styled Parisian boutique based on the Aristocats?

Or for example, why not set the entire land in the 1950/60's, when everything French was popular all across Europe. Films, fashion, cars, music. When everyone had French film idols, Brigite Bardot, Catherine Deneuve, Maurice Chevalier, Louis de Funès. Recreate that era, add classic chansons to the music loop, "La mer" is even a Pixar song, add a few 1960's cars from the era when French cars were popular, they already have a few rotting away at the Tram tour.

In other words, play into the nostalgia of visitors, confront people, both French and from across Europe,
    with an idealized version of their childhood. This is what Disney often does, create a place set in a time that never was, to evoke that emotion. That's what works! Poorly recreating buildings from a few kilometers down the road doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast