Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock The World

I couldn't agree more, CaliAd. Finally, a piece of concept art work with a touch of inspiration! Did you notice all the subtle additions to the existing Animation Courtyard? Quite apart formt he giant brush and easel, there are more flower beds andd spaces of lawn. Most of these were included int he very first pieces of concept art work for the park, back in 2000, but they never made it off the drawing board due to budgetary restrictions. Could they at last be about to see the light of day? Or could the whole Toon Studios extension follow the same route as the rest of the park and end up looking flat and drab?

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    on vera bien as they say.

I'm still very dissapointed in this addition

very little actualy Toon themeing (toons as in Toons from Toontown the roger rabbit theme? the pixar characters arn't technicaly "toon's")

the conecept art looks nice but I get the feeling that it'll be themed alot like how Alladin's Magic Carpets is themed over there, not too sure about the darkride though

• Santa Barbara, CA

Adding anything at this point is a bonus. This is bankruptsy a go go here. I think investment being pumped into the place is a great step forward and a vote of confidence in the park. as much as i want to have doubts, I'm remaining positive and bullish. The competing offerings in Europe are really weak, so the Studio may be better received than we think. Let's hope the shows are as good as the art.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• stitch'sgreatescape101
    you should all know that this is not toontown it is toon studios i guess disneyland paris will have to wait until a rumor comes for toontown.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries
    you should all know that this is not toontown it is toon studios i guess disneyland paris will have to wait until a rumor comes for toontown.
    Gaurantee you this is in PLACE OF building Toontown.

But in Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Toontown was a neigberhood of Southern California just outside the city of Hollywood, through a tunnel in the Hollywood hills.

So why TOONTOWN couldnt have just been built adjacent to WDS Paris, is beyond me.

• MiceAge Columnist

If you look at the actual space they have to fit these new attractions in, it is very small.

I don't see how they are going to fit in a big dark ride, plus the outdoor stuff in the area they have.

Of course they could rip up the road around the park and the car park for the costuming building, but that would bring the attractions even closer to the Hotel and lose them the access and parking they have now.

Here is a photo of the area.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by Ian P
    Of course they could rip up the road around the park and the car park for the costuming building, but that would bring the attractions even closer to the Hotel and lose them the access and parking they have now.
    Yes, they will build Nemo attraction on that car park.

• Just this guy......

Based on the artwork from miceage it looks like Nemo would go between Aladdin and the costuming building. Out and over the acess roadway and parking. What I can't tell is are they going to have a walkway at the top portion of the area or is this going to be a dead end.

• Love!

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    very little actualy Toon themeing (toons as in Toons from Toontown the roger rabbit theme? the pixar characters arn't technicaly "toon's")
    Au contraire!

Toon is an abbreviation of cartoon. I don't think they're trying for the Tuchstone cartoon noir collection; it's just a reference to animated characters. Pixar is as such.

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach
    Based on the artwork from miceage it looks like Nemo would go between Aladdin and the costuming building. Out and over the acess roadway and parking. What I can't tell is are they going to have a walkway at the top portion of the area or is this going to be a dead end.
    The Imagineers have said that they plan to extend the new land in future years, leading up behind the current Tram Tour route and towards the woodland. At present, I believe that they plan to use the small pathway currently reserved for Cast Member use and turn it into a pathway for guests.

Re: DLPR Development

Quote Originally Posted by Tatton
    I actually feel the ToonTown concept looks very miniscule, empty and poor... it'll definitely fit into the Studios well.

Disney seem to plan small additions with huge, over-stated budgets, and I dont understand them. This park needs high quality, superb attractions. Disneyland Park is such an astonishing and superb attraction, and the Studios could have been too....

I feel this will disappoint many!
    Walt Disney World has the money to do whatever it wants.
    Tokyo Disneyland has too much money that it can do whatever it wants with cherries on too
    Disneyland Anaheim is spending loads of money with the 50th Anniversary hoping to be able to get some money so it can eventually do whatever it wants, soon.

As for the Walt Disney Studios Paris - yes the "Street" is missing. Yes, the Backstage Tram Tour is not really in Backstage.
    And unfortunately, for the moment, it does not have the money to be able to do all the amazing things that the other Disney parks do in such Disney splendour and magic.

Perhaps with a few more English visitors spending a bit more money in the parks (instead of coming in with packed lunches hidden in the back pack), the Walt Disney Studios would be able to pull itself out of negative figures, start making money, and then start putting in "real" attractions, instead of "miniscule, empty and poor" attractions, according to certain people....

As for the question of budget - imagine this situation:
    The attraction breaks down, and to fix it, you need to buy a bolt that costs 1 Euro in the supermarket, 1 km away.
    You would spend 1 euro.
    Well, because of the way that WDWC worded the things that they worded in 1987 to build DLRP, that same bolt, that can be bought 1 km away for one euro, has to be approved by finance, ordered FROM THE US, and then posted.
    Result : You have just spent 1.80 Euros for something that could have cost 80% less.
    Then they ask why they are in the red???????

Another example (if you are not yet convinced): Cinderella and her Princess friends have their hair done by a "hairdresser" (children may be reading this)in Paris. However, upon the orders of the WDWC, Cinderella's hairdo is actually bought in Paris, sent to the US, and then bought back from the US by DLRP, increasing the price of the "hair-do" by over 200%!!!

Then they ask why they are in the red?????

How to resolve this situation?
    Many people would have many suggestions.
    Personally, and speaking from experience, I would suggest the following:
    Fire FRENCH Management, and bring back the Americans - as it was in 1992/1993. In spite of the high prices then, it worked.
    Secondly, learn that to MAKE money, sometimes you have to LOSE money. Rules of business apply.
    Thirdly - HAPPY staff = HAPPY Visitor. If the staff are in debt by the 3rd of each month, or living on the poverty line, this WILL reflect in their attitude/presentation at work. Pay them more, and you increase their satisfaction with the job. This then makes the visitors stay a happier one.
    Pay peanuts, and you are guaranteed monkeys. People do not come to Disney to see monkeys, even less unhappy monkeys.

Perhaps with the opening of "new-but-copied-once-more-from-the-other-parks-because-we-have-no-more-ideas-left-and-no-money" attraction in the Disneyland Park and WDS, we may entice the English visitors and more back to DLRP.

At least, I hope so, otherwise there will be over 45000 direct and indirect jobs that will be lost.....

Glad to have got that off my chest.

All the best,

• Rock The World

Re: Concept art for Toon Studios

Wow, welcome to the boards, Mr. Entertainment. That was quite an entrance.
    You've raised a number of very good points though, and I think they deserve some further discussion. During my time as a resort Cast Member, I too heard a lot of talk from the maintenance staff about the trials they had to go through in order to get their hands on even the simplest of parts. The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is probably the most obvious example, and it's where most of my experience comes from.
    As most of you probably know, the light show for Rock is extremely complex, and utilizes an lighting system designed and built in Holland. It was designed and installed by one of the top companies in Europe, who are more used to lighting stadium concerts and the like. Now, naturally enough, with all these lights in constant use, we often found bulbs that had burned out. Whenever this happened, we would record it and inform the maintenance team.
    But here's the thing - maintenance had to order every single light bulb from the United States. They even had to order half their tools from the US, which slowed the process down to a crawl. It would sometimes take a couple of weeks to fix a blown bulb.
    Furthermore, maintenance budgets are incredibly tight, following the Jay Rasulo years. Maintenance standards across the resort fell to an all time low, and nowhere was this more in evidence than on the attractions themselves. From what I hear, Disneyland California suffered the same thing under Pressler.
    Anyway, to cut a long story short, I rode Rock again in April and at least 50% of the interior show was dead. It used to be a thing of beauty, but now it just looks tacky and cheap - a few flashing lights beside the track and that's it.
    This isn't a rant against the maintenance teams - they're very hardworking people, and doing the best with what little they've been given. But I agree with you, Mr. Entertainment. Something has to change, and soon.
    I also agree with your views on Cast Member wages, by the way, but I think that's a topic best reserved for the Break Room board. Perhaps we could get the opinions of some of our international counterparts!

• Rock The World

BIG NEWS!!! I've just been lucky enough to be shown the schematics for the Toon Studios! And guess what? It looks great!
    The schematic includes an overhead view of the new "land", including the Cars ride, and a detailed look at the interiors of Crush's Sea Turtle Spin - the new Finding Nemo ride.

I won't go into details here (not enough time, and the Mouse has big ears), but the ride appears to be absolutley HUGE! It's built on two levels, and includes a sweeping drop that takes riders outside the building for a few seconds before plunging them back indoors and imersing them in a colouful coral reef scene.
    There's also a scene in the deep sea trench, where riders will be menaced by the angler fish (it looks as though this entire scene will be covered with some gorgeous fiber optic effects). As if this wasn't enough, there's going to be a dash through a cloud of jelly fish, all lit up with fiber optic lights.
    And this is all BEFORE your spinning turtle vehicle enters the main section of the ride building, which contains some really long straight sections of track, and some wicked banking curves. East Australian current, anyone?

• Will return Soon...

Wow! that sounds Awsome! Thanks For the Info!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast