Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• wasting time

YOUR Ideas for DLRP expansion

We know Euro Disney is planning to expand their resort in Marne La Vallee, France by adding the following attractions:
    =============================================
    Parc Disneyland :
    Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast
    Space Mountain: Mission 2

Parc Walt Disney Studios :
    Toon Studios
    Tower Of Terror

Disney Village :
    IMAX Theater
    =============================================

Now, here's my question:

If you were the CEO of Euro Disney & had a budget of € 1 billion, what would you build to expand the resort ?

• Diamond In The Rough

Firstly I'd create a whole new section in the Studios based on the Muppets.
    Disney seemed to spend a lot of money and effort to acquire Kermit and friends and then do nothing with them.
    The possibilities are limitless..

Scrap Toon Studios, create Muppet Studios - clone Muppet Vision, build that Muppet version of The Great Movie Ride that Jim Hill had concept art for and chuck in a couple of Carnival rides if you must (Professor Bunsen Bumper Cars or something).
    A coaster based around "Muppets From Space".
    A "Country Bear Jamboree" style animatronic show and even some of the ol' rubberheads walking around.

Still at the Studios, I’d cram Philarmagic in there somewhere.

Next I’d go over to Disneyland Park and build something in the oft-neglected corner of Adventureland where Indy sits alone.
    It’s got to be a clone of Indy from Disneyland and I’d theme the whole area as Temples/Lost City/Archaeological digs.
    I’d also add some fire/water effects to Temple of Peril.

As for an actual original idea – how about creating something for the films that seem to get ignored – Emperor’s New Groove, Hercules, Hunchback (It’s Paris!).

A family coaster based around Mt Olympus, or a race across the rooftops of Notre-Dame.
    Lilo and Stitch lends itself well to a water coaster ala “Journey To Atlantis” at Sea World Orlando. I think Disney is harming itself by virtually ignoring these post-2nd golden age flicks…

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• MiceAge Columnist

I would like them to expand the studios, not really bothered what they add as long as it is 'quality'. They should also give the Studio some heart and soul rather than being a windswept industrial estate. Make it feel like real studios, build street sets and put in atmosphere. There is a lot of work to do at the Studios to bring it anywhere near the MGM Studios in terms of quality and style. Only then will this park have some appeal, it is not just about the number of attractions, it is how a place makes you feel that has a lasting impression and makes you want to go back again and again.

As for the Disneyland Park, we need new attractions, but on a large scale, lets have a new 'E' ticket, maybe Splash Mountain, Soarin' or bring out the old designs for Beauty and the Beast and Little Mermaid. An great 'E' ticket original ride, a huge crowd swallower, thrill ride if possible. Could they somehow fit a version of 'Expedition Everest' in? What about a thrill ride version of Jungle Cruise?

What we need is Imagination with the funds to finance it.

Unfortunately what we have got is very little money which will not allow for big plans or many changes.

We will get new attractions, but the Studios will never get a heart.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• Riding Big Thunder

Disneyland Park-
    Splash Mountain,
    A new parade with brand new floats,
    A new e-ticket in Adventureland, perhaps it could be based on the rumoured Fire Mountain Rollercoaster for WDW.

Studios-
    Mission: Space, but themed to the idea of a Sci-Fi movie,
    A whole new enterance into an area like Sunset Blvd at MGM studio's capturing the true essence of Hollywood, put the ToT coming off this street.
    A Muppets land with The Great Muppet Movie Ride and Muppetvision 3D.
    Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom
    Disneyland Park:

Splash Mountain and Tokyo version of Winnie the Pooh attraction to form the new land Critter Coral.

Adding to the Jules Verne Theme,I would add 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and Journey to the Centre of the Earth as part of my Discoveryland expansion which I call Mysterious Island.

I tear that Indy coaster down and build the proper Indiana Jones attraction that can be found at Disneyland in Califonia and Tokyo Disney Seas.

Mickey's Toon Town with new dark ride and family coaster.

Walt Disney Studios:

Fantasmic to give guest something to stay late for.

Mickey's Philarmagic to replace Animagique

Muppet Studios

E ticket attraction based on Stitch

what to add?

Disneyland Park:
    I would go for "The Little Mermaid" - "Winnie the Pooh" - "Splash Mountain" a little rethemed due to the water effect which would be inpossible in the winter season (I thought about an ice effect during the cold winter season).

Walt Disney Studios:
    This is very difficult - I think like Ian and believe that the park need atmosphere - change it from parking to park. I think that the Tower of Terror will become something like a castle for the studios. I would replace directly the loading station of "Studio Tram Tour" and give the buildings a little Hollywood Boulevard style. which means that street sets would be found beyond todays loading station. The tour itself should be redone - Catastrophe Canyon is cool, but that's it and the attraction is really lame.

My dream attractions for the Studios would be

Santa Claus"e" - the ride. First you board Santa's Sleigh and travel through some scenes where elves are preparing all the christmas presents - at the end you reach the stable of the reindeers and afterwards you take off and your sleigh becomes a little faster - it turns into a kind of indoor rollercoaster through the night with snow flakes flying around and at the end you land on a houseroof and exit by a winter set and a Santa's shop.

Mary Poppins is one of my other favorite attractions - Get on a horse and travel through Mary's dreamland.

There is still some other stuff I have in mind - I will tell you later

• A Mighty Eye

At the Studios:

"Tower of Terror" - This is a no brainer.

"Tron 2.0" - A huge dark ride (a World of Motion/Test Track sort of ride). Your journey begins as you tour ENCOM, the world's largest computer software company. Suddenly, a virus infects your automated tour vehicle! You spin out of control, and break away from the main path to a restricted area. It's not too long before you're zapped into the ENCOM mainframe! It's now your mission to find and revive the Tron security program, destroy the virus, and face an 20-year-old archived copy of Sark before you can get back to the real world.

"The Muppets Take Over" - Replacing the "Armageddon" special effects show comes... another Special Effects show. But this time, it's starring the Muppets. And they're everywhere: popping up in seats, flying across the room, falling from the ceiling, etc. Honestly, I don't have a premise or concept for this at all, but I think it would be a blast to see.

---

"Mickey's Toon Studio" - A whole new kid-centric area. I imagine these rides as being their own "mini features," with the entrances being large movie posters you walk through. The Toon Studio inclues following rides:

"Donald Duck's Courtroom Capers" - Donald Duck, as a judge? Ludwig von Drake as the prosecutor? This 3d show lets guests serve jury duty on one of three trials (selected at random), and actually decide (and therefore change) the outcome of the case. Plus, you do have to admit Pluto would make a funny bailiff.

"The Little Mermaid" Musical Spectacular - Eventual replacement for "Animagique," though diffrent and longer than the Florida version.

"Mickey/Minnie's Trailers" - Along with other Disney characters, this is where guests can meet and greet with their favorite Disney stars.

"Goofy's Aerial Aces" - Goofy's latest invention is an airplane that can twist in mid-air. Lucky for Goofy, it can fly itself. Unluckly for Goofy, it's coordinates are all wrong. Look out as you fly under the Eifel Tower, smash straight thru a skyscraper, and worst of all, when your plane gets caught on a rollercoaster track! (This ride uses the same ride system as Rodger Rabit's Cartoon Spin)

Besides traditional rides, there will be a few other attractions in this area. These attracions can be swapped out or changed to promote new Disney movies, as well. Here are just a few:

"Timon and Pumba's Feeding Frenzy" - Timon is dressed as a carnival barker, asking guests to throw food (foam) into Pumba's outstretched mouth, with burping and farting noises as appropriate. But watch out for the hyenas and Zazu, who occasionally pop up and block shots.

"Crush's Turtle Talk" - Imported from Epcot.

"Stitch's Karaoke Kings" - Sing songs along with Stitch.

"Flick's Chaos Contraption" - The game of Simon, played with light-up bugs.

----

"Storm Chasers" - You are asked by a snooty and self-centered movie producer to get some "fantastic" footage of a lightning storm for a new movie. Of course, he won't pay you to do this, you're just doing it because you obviously want to work for such a big-name in Hollywood. So he sets you up with some video equipment and a plane, and you're off to find your footage with a wise-cracking pilot. (My design melds humor with the same technology and ride film from the DisneySeas version).

"Fantasmic" - A clone of this popular show would go in a similar (yet more natural-looking) theater than at the Disney-MGM Studios. This enhanced version of the show, featuring shorter animated sequences combined with more elaborate costumes and watercraft, should be just as popular as it's American counterparts.

At Disneyland park:

"Jungle Safari" - Take off in jeeps to find the hidden Incan treasure, which would blend into the Indiana Jones-theme, though stay seperate.

"Mickey's Philharmagic" - replaces "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience."

Honestly guys, I got nothing for this park. Both parks will get new parades and other entertainment.
    Last edited by arsonwinter; 01-22-2005 at 01:58 PM.

• Former Epcot CM

I tell you what, there is some fantastic ideas here! I love the ones about a Muppet land at the Studios, and arsonwinter's ideas were my favourite.

But I think a Parisian Splash Mountain should be scrapped altogether. There is nothing wrong with small, B-D ticket rides being imported that wouldn't be majorly noticed, but not an E-ticket ride. If there was going to be a Parisian Splash Mountain, there would be one already.

The Studios needs some life, desperately. More theming, extend the hours and make the park look pretty at night, with some lights etc. Maybe the huge lights that you see in the 20th Century Fox logo before films. I originally liked the idea of a French Fantasmic, but again, if you have a billion Euros, you can afford to bring the Imagineers over and get a brand new show, that could rival Fantasmic, like Encore does at Tokyo Disneysea.

We don't need new hotels, and definitely not a third park. The Studios needs a new land (as I have said, the Muppets sounds brilliant), and I think there are plans for an indoor Toontown, more closely based on the Roger Rabbit Toontown. Adventureland at Disneyland should be expanded, I liked the Jungle Safari idea. I think both parks should have a different feel at night, with different music and lights etc.

Although I am against Splash Mountain, Disneyland needs a new mountain. Again I say - something new! Volcano? Maybe a lava version of Animal Kingdom's Expedition Everest?

• MiceAge Columnist

I just hope the the DLR management don't expect Tower of Terror and the addition of a few small lids rides to 'fix' the problem with the Studios.

If you look at DCA this is exactly what they did there, they added Flick's Fun Faire and the Tower of Terror and it has clearly not worked, attendance is still low.

Now at least DCA has some atmosphere, not everywhere but it is quite good except for the Paradise Pier area which looks cheap.

We need a few more rides at the Studios, big 'E' ticket rides yes like TOT, BUT it also needs atmosphere, it needs to feel like a great place to be. At the moment you can stand in the middle of the park and virtually see it all, no surprises, stunning vista or views. Just grey buildings and a vast expanse of black flooring.

It does not feel like a theme park, more like a collection of attractions just grouped together.

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    I think that emphasis on rides from the movies with a French theme: B&B and Hunchback of Notre Dame should be representative of their core for their Fantasyland. This way there's one section that isn't Disneyland taking over, but more like, "one of our stories returning home."

Ian, I know you like to promote the Studios themselves and I'm sure they could do a Studios tour, but the only thing I've heard to come from there is Hunchback.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• Defying Gravity

Disneyland: a geyser ride in frontierland, a new and updated jungle cruise in adventureland, one of the originally proposed dark rides for Fantasyland and a coaster saluting jorney to the center of earth in tomorrow land.
    Studios: expand the backlot tour. Do a new version of the great movie ride, one that is up to date.

And that would be a good start.
    You say I´m a bitch like it´s a bad thing.

London BABY!!

• Former Epcot CM

Forget Toontown

I think Toontown (and any Toontown spin-offs like Mickey's Fair at MK) belongs in the Magic Kingdom category of parks. Bring on the Muppets!

The theming should be a town taken over by the Muppets, with graffiti (ala Disney-MGM Studios) etc. Name: El Kermito Ranch

Features
    * Bear in the Big Blue House Live
    * Muppets 4D (ala Shrek)
    * A town square in the middle featuring food outlets, and a clock tower with the two old men popping out every 15 minutes (in French, mind)
    * Miss Piggy's Boutique - an interactive 'shop', like Goofy's Bounce House
    * Henson Masterclass - an interactive puppet show and learn
    * Kermit's - one of the most exclusive - but very fun - resturaunts in DLRP. This won't be the only eatery, see town square above
    * The Great Muppet Ride - a spoof of The Great Movie Ride, also a new ride to the Studios (but in a different part of the park)
    * Mr Henson's Bubble Bop - a quite large water play area, richly detailed with crafty little things that the average child wouldn't notice

As I have said, the theming is a town taken over by the Muppets. The Bubble Bop will be the furthest attraction away from the Town Square, no-one likes soggy food. The should also be Muppets walking around.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Hitchhiker

Walt Disney Studios should in first place change its theming: no more "That's a wrap!" theme but "Where the movies start to live." They should change the aspect from creating movies to being in a movie. Who wants to see a magician again after he has revealed all his tricks? That's why WDS attractions are very poor, I don't want to see them again (except Cinemagique and Rock'n Roll coaster).

So what I want for:

WDS

- Toon Studios with Duckburg (Europeans are Donald, Goofy and Mickey fans, much more than in the States!). One attraction is Scrooges Money bin (Kid's & family ToT) which is attacked by Magica de Spell and Beagleboys).
    - '20s hollywood, including a mountain replica with the Hollywood sign. Red car running on a Sunset boulevard. A Pradise Pier with a lake. Hollywood Tower hotel (ToT).
    - Inside the mountain is a place for another E-ticket attraction, Fantasmic!

DLP
    - Remove Indy coaster and replace it with Everest Expedition with Tibetan theme. Paris cold weather makes it even more real. Couple of real yaks could live on its grounds. Indiana Jones could still be the hero of this attraction.

Disney Village
    - Cover the walkway with a glass roof
    - The village needs a total re-theme; cheerful, happy place to hang around. Now it looks like an after-party hangover.

Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop
    Inside the mountain is a place for another E-ticket attraction, Fantasmic!
    I love that idea so much! I do like the Hollywood Hills theming but I doubt that would ever happen, but then again not a lot of the ideas on this thread would.

PS, I think Expedition Everest should be kept at Animal Kingdom.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

Left the church, but not the parishioners.
    How about Disney's Paris Adventure!

They can build an Eiffel Tower replica and run the monorail through it. And have a mock French winery with film about making French wines. And a film called, "Parisian Dreams" that highlights why people come to France - for the wine and Eiffel Tower! And don't forget a facade of the Louvre (only a facade, so people can imagine what's inside), and put an ODV cart outside that sells glowing replicas of the Mona Lisa and Eiffel Tower light chasers! Throw in a few perfume shops and French fry stalls, and voila!!!! It'll be a popular masterpiece for sure!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast