Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Phantom Manor

Phantom Manor

I visited Phantom Manor at Disneyland Paris last month for the first time, and my reactions were mixed. I am not native English or French speaker, and there has been a good while since I visited the WDW version of the ride. However I did make the following observations.

Lightning:
    The ride was for some reason quite bright, on the evening it seemed to be a slightly darker, but still not very dark. I think some effects suffered due to it.

Language:
    French is a beatiful language, but as like most non-french tourists, I cannot understand it. Having whole narraration in French takes away from the experience. I tried to ask the CM if English narration was ever played, but she simply shrugged, I am not sure if she understood the question as she was in hurry to look after the guests. I presume it is never played, but I would REALLY hope they could make one special English narration show once a while, perhaps once an hour or something like that. Original one with Vincent Price would help with the mood a lot. I really hope they could come with some arrangement with French goverment to have English narration as option (I understand there is some regulation to protect French language that prevents them of having it in English).

Ghost Host:
    For some reason ghost host does not "drop" to the audiance like in WDW? Did not on my visit, and I did both elevators.

The Ballroom:
    While full of action, for some reason some of the spinning characters on the right were cut of from the top at times, like there was some obstacle in the way. Seemed strange.

The Bride:
    What is the deal of having the Bride as non-transparent, non-ghostlike form several times during the ride. She doesn't feel like a ghost at all in such form. In my opinion this is a mistake.

The Groom:
    We first see him in the ballroom scene as a static figure (broken(?), as everything else is animated). Then seeing him few times laughing a lot (same animatronic two times). While it is a cool concept to have a Phantom like groom as the main villain, they really did get him to work. Why isn't transparency effect used like in almost all WDW characters. Why is he shown in good lightning?

"The Exterior" / Finale
    The ride seems to be almost fitted in too tight space as "exterior scene" was so obviously in sound stage. The animatronics were boring and non-original, just painted a bit like a zombie. The dark graveyard with bluish/transparent ghosts is much grander finale and works a lot better. Even the busts projection seemed to be a bit out of place and I felt that they were way too close to the track for the illusion to work. While I understand the idea of Western theme, I do not think it currently works very well.

Overal it felt a bit short and I was not very impressed by it, granded I am probably not the aimed target audiance as I am nearer to 30, but I felt they could have easily tried a bit harder with this one.
    Last edited by Kraken; 06-03-2006 at 10:44 AM.

• Hitchhiker

Re: Haunted Manor

POTC suffers also some lightning problems, and I've been thinging if it has something to do with local law etc.

About the bride, the story at Phantom Manor it totally different than in WDW. Look here: http://www.ravenswood-manor.com/

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Language:
    French is a beatiful language, but as like most non-french tourists, I cannot understand it. Having whole narraration in French takes away from the experience. I tried to ask the CM if English narration was ever played, but she simply shrugged, I am not sure if she understood the question as she was in hurry to look after the guests. I presume it is never played, but I would REALLY hope they could make one special English narration show once a while, perhaps once an hour or something like that. Original one with Vincent Price would help with the mood a lot. I really hope they could come with some arrangement with French goverment to have English narration as option (I understand there is some regulation to protect French language that prevents them of having it in English).
    Don't people usually have to go to the local City Hall in the Disney parks and request a translating machine?

Yes, I am aware of that there is a story. I just felt it was not really working well.

About translation: If there is translation machine service in Disneyland Paris, it certainly was not adverticed at all. Is there one for Phantom Manor, what is it like? Does it have Vincent Price?

One thing I must add is that I really liked the music, even if I would have not minded hearing busts singing a bit longer than 5 seconds.
    Last edited by Kraken; 06-03-2006 at 10:44 AM.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

I really like the story, it's rather sad.

And as for it being in French. Yes they did have a English version with Vincent Price, however the French being well French complained. I don't think Vincent is used in the TM. It sound good in French, maybe becasue i know French.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken

About translation: If there is translation machine service in Disneyland Paris, it certainly was not adverticed at all.
    Thats because there isn't. You can get an audio guided tour in every language under the sun but there is nothing that translates the scripts of the attractions.

• Coming soon...

The things that the Ghost Host says in French don't actually add much to the story anyway. It's pretty much the same as the HM speil.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop
    POTC suffers also some lightning problems, and I've been thinging if it has something to do with local law etc.
    Are you talking about the fact that the lighting is bright enough to make out the ceiling etc? If so, that's something I've noticed as well. Especially on Pirates, where you can so clearly see the tiled office-like ceiling (air conditioning units and smoke detectors and all) that any illusion of being outside is often out the window. I've often thought they should either paint the ceiling beams in a non-glossy finish or turn the lights down a notch, because it's a shame of such otherwise great illusions, really.

Few corrections. I did not mean the story was poor or I do not like it's concept, the execution of it in the ride is that isn't in my opinion working very well.

Yes, the roof is visible in Pirates (I really tried not to look at it, as it was such an illusion breaker). Also Canyon scene at the Manor is so well lit that it is clear that you are on a soundstage surrounded by a rather 2 dimensional painting. I think the original concept of the finale is great http://ravenswood.free.fr/ftcany.jpg but what they come up with isn't exactly working as the painting might suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio
    The things that the Ghost Host says in French don't actually add much to the story anyway. It's pretty much the same as the HM speil.
    What about to those who never been to any other version? As a personal curiosity, I would have loved to hear Vincent's entire narration, now only thing left is his laughter. I think understanding the welcome adds a lot to the general feeling.

Apparently according to Ravenswood site, the English version was removed due to the agreement with French goverment as all rides needs to have certain percent of the voice acting in French.

Lastly, is the source of audio when you are on the ride coming from the doombuggy or elsewhere? I forgot to take a note on this.

it's Phantom Manor

not Haunted Manor

A grave error

I fixed this where I could, unfortunately it seems I cannot change the name of the topic.

• Banned User

They should have like an I-pod kind of machine to be able to translat to guests who speak English.

I love PM, and I hope I get to ride it soon.

• Plastic Monkey

i used to have a copy of the narration

the price narration (i think) was for the whole ride, which is why people complained. the ride narration was removed and the streaching room was replaced in french.

it would have been cool if the cars had the setup of the spirit of london attraction (another omnimover) four languages and buttons to choose.
    We Play Rock and Roll

Quote Originally Posted by J9000
    i used to have a copy of the narration

the price narration (i think) was for the whole ride, which is why people complained. the ride narration was removed and the streaching room was replaced in french.

it would have been cool if the cars had the setup of the spirit of london attraction (another omnimover) four languages and buttons to choose.
    the ride itself never had any narration

they had to much problems with the ride stopping continuesly in the other magic kingdoms, and the narration synchronisation was malfunctioning (that was the case the first time I went on Haunted Mansion in Disney World), and it would be extra dificult to have the narration in two or maybe even three languages. Madame Leota speaks two languages.

the narration in Phantom Manor always ended with the boarding, the rest of the ride you can enjoy probably the best attraction music Disney has ever produced

http://users.pandora.be/kristofke69/varia/phantom.mp3

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast