• Diamond In The Rough

10 Reasons To Love Disney Studios Park

Ben mills over at Themepark Insider has posted a very funny (but true) article on why the most derrided park in Disney history desereves another chance.

I know what you’re thinking… Ben Mills, suggesting reasons to love the Walt Disney Studios Park?

I sometimes think that I might be just a little too mean to this little park. Criticism is the most powerful weapon that we, the theme park fans have against the tight purses at the top of the company, but is it all that bad? There must be something to love, right?

Well actually, there are ten somethings to love. So here they are, in no particular order…

REASON ONE: THE FRONTLOT
    Unlike the majority of the park – which we’ll come to in good time – the entrance to the park is really quite attractive. Supposedly modelled on Walt’s original studio buildings, it provides an intimate yet majestic introduction, complete with fountains, boutiques and even the famous Earful Tower.

REASON TWO: THE ‘PARTNERS’ STATUE
    I’m sure you’ve all seen this statue in your local Disney theme park, with Walt standing hand-in-hand by his rodent creation. It’s really not all that fantastic. But does yours stand pointing towards the exit? No, didn’t think so. I only hope the irony wasn’t lost on the Imagineers.

REASON THREE: CINEMAGIQUE
    To use the description of a fellow guest I overheard once, “it’s all like ‘woah!’ and stuff.”
    And to be honest, it really is. While most of the park seems to take pride in disgracing the name of Disney, Cinemagique single-handedly shows the public that the Imagineers haven’t given up on smuggling creativity into their attractions.
    Martin Short and Julie Delpy journey through the history of cinema, paying homage to each genre in a way only Disney can.
    Frankly, it’s fantastic. And alone, it continues to justify the existence of an otherwise unworthy park.

REASON FOUR: “THE CUTE ONE”
    Armageddon is a seriously lame attraction. Stuff lights up, other stuff vibrates a little bit, and the Russian guy from the film shouts quite a lot. Oh, and there’s a moderate amount of fire. All of which pretty much adds up to one big yawn-fest.
    However, the main show seems more like a masterpiece when compared with the pre-show. A tour de force of lame gags, boring information about the history of special effects, and the dreaded audience participation, it neatly sums up why the attraction doesn’t really work on any level.
    But in the midst of all this crap, one part shines through and brings a false hope to all who are actually bothering to watch the screens... Michael Clarke Duncan! And if the fact that he’s on screen being all dude-like isn’t enough, you won’t be able to resist a good chuckle when he points himself out in a clip of the film. “That’s me… the cute one.” Seriously, how can you not love this guy?

REASON FIVE: THE UMBRELLA
    Sounds like a kinda uninspiring reason to love the park, huh? An umbrella? Well, I can’t say it’s particularly marvellous, but in a bland park, it’s really quite cool to see a novelty gimmick like this. Attached to “Les Parapluies de Cherbourg”, guests can stand under the umbrella – stuck on the wall – and create their own little bit of Singin’ In The Rain style movie history. Trust me, it’s incredible fun. Disney should be adding more elements like this to the park.

REASON SIX: THE TOWER OF TERROR
    Okay, so it’s not quite ready yet. Nor will it be until 2008. But when it is, and we’re going up and down, then down and up, you’ll love it. It’s the Tower Of Terror… how can it go wrong?

REASON SEVEN: PHWOOOOOOOSH!
    Rock ’N’ Roller Coaster might not have that much going for it – bland scenery and a slow, uninspiring ride being some of the highlights – but you’ve just gotta love that launch. 0 to 100km/h in less than three seconds, all to the delightful chords of Aerosmith. And hey, even if you hate the ride, you’ve got to love the photo opportunities.

REASON EIGHT: THE CEMENT LOVER’S PARADISE
    Yes, this one goes out to those of you who love the grey, sticky stuff. For guests with a cold, hard passion, Walt Disney Studios Park is like heaven… it’s everywhere! Who needs to bother with making the ground look interesting, or even theming up some of the areas? If there’s a trade convention for cement, it needs to be held here. I swear, even real studio backlots aren’t this bland.

REASON NINE: “LA, LA, LA, LA LA LA, ANIMAGIQUE!”
    And you thought ‘It’s A Small World’ was bad.
    It may not be the catchiest theme tune ever, but Animagique’s infectious song shows the Sherman Brothers how it should be done. It’s light, whimsical, and sung by children. And you’ll never forget it.

REASON TEN: IT’S NOT THE WORST PARK IN THE WORLD… IS IT?
    I strongly agree with him on points 3,5 and 8.
    Anyone got any others "plus" points for this park?
    Last edited by PeaJay18; 04-23-2005 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Inserted the quote

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• is satisfactual.

Well, it's never ever busy, haha. I kind of use the park as a shopping centre. I haven't done a ride in ages, and I haven't gone far beyond the Partners Statue since it opened. But it's a nice place to leisurely run some errands.

• Hitchhiker

I like WDSP after dark when all lights are turned on. The difference is like a worm changing into a butterfly.

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop
    I like WDSP after dark when all lights are turned on. The difference is like a worm changing into a butterfly.
    Caterpillars change into butterflies…. Not worms (think Alice in wonderland)

• is satisfactual.

Yes, but it's hard to dismiss his worm analogy, isn't it?

• Hitchhiker

:-) Yes, you seem to got my point.

• ...or just Tonny

Well, if an umbrella is one of the only reason one can think of to like the park....it really does say enough.

Admittedly, the partner staue pointing to the exit, is funny!

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by PeaJay18
    Ben mills over at Themepark Insider has posted a very funny (but true) article on why the most derrided park in Disney history desereves another chance.
    Now that's just not true. DCA and DLP at it's opening was far more derrided than the Studios can be.

Unless you mean de-rided, since there's almost no rides.

• Banned User

I SRTONGLY agree with number 8.

• Diamond In The Rough

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Now that's just not true. DCA and DLP at it's opening was far more derrided than the Studios can be.

Unless you mean de-rided, since there's almost no rides.
    Nice one!

(The sooner we get a spell checker on MC, the better...)

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• MiceAge Columnist

I great review, which confirms all the bad things about the park.

It does seem a bit much though to count TOT when it's not even there yet !!

Ian
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"