• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Disneyland Hotel or the New York Hotel... ?

Well, I'm about to embark on a big family vacation to Europe for three weeks in August (my folks, my brother, the grandkids). We're making a stop for three days in DLP (woohoo!). Being the family Disney expert... they naturally asked me for advice on booking the hotel rooms for the stay (but I should note I've never been to DLP). We ended up with reservations at the New York on my recommendation... it was considerably less than the DL Hotel, and still considered "deluxe"; it looks nice.

I'm wondering if maybe we should have just booked the DL hotel after all... the more I think about it, the nicer it looks. I really like the location right above the ticket booths... it looks to be right on top of the park entrance!

I'm curious... what is the consensus from experienced DLP travelers... is the DLH really worth it? Did I make a mistake... should I try to change our reservations? How do you think the New York compares? Is the location that much farther? (let's say compared to the layout of DLR in Anaheim?)

I hate to have regrets after we get there...

TIA!
    --Jonathan

• Hitchhiker

Re: Disneyland Hotel or the New York Hotel... ?

DLH has slightly bigger rooms, but not much.
    HNY has nicer pool.
    DLH location is excellent, but HNY isn't bad either.
    DLH bars and restaurants are better, but you can benefit those even not staying at the hotel.
    DLH theme is great, HNY just good. (I feel HNY is least themed hotel in area.)

Both hotels offer great service.

• is satisfactual.

The thing with the DLH is that it's like buying property in downtown Manhattan--you pay six times the price for tiny real estate just because it happens to be downtown. The place is right above the park entrance, but in return the rooms are average-sized and the pool below that. The public areas of the hotel however make up for a lot.

The Hotel New York could be seen as the "least themed" I suppose, but what does that mean anyway? That it's subtle on the faux chachkas? If you like Disney without the treacle, the HNY provides a haven of simple elegance. It tries to capture the essence of New York as opposed to trying to mimic it. I think it's wonderful.

• Plastic Monkey

the difference in walking is proberbly 1/4 k if that about 100m to the disney village then 150m through disney village and youre at the ny. think disney put it at 2-5 min distance

i havent stayed at either (compelte skinflint) so i cannot help you in choosing, always think the cash difference could be spent on somethink else. all i need is somewhere to leave stuff and sleep.

enjoy your europe trip!
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Minion

Ian Parkinson did some articles a while back reviewing each of the hotels. Here are the links for the DLH and NYH:
    http://www.miceage.com/ianparkinson/ip111804a.htm
    http://www.miceage.com/ianparkinson/ip010405a.htm

I was just wondering how much an average room rate is for both hotels?

• Plastic Monkey

http://disneylandparis.com/uk/good_t...d_summer06.pdf

though the good neighbour hotels are cheaper if you book separetly and dont buy a package
    We Play Rock and Roll

You should try to establish which rooms they're going to allocate you, as this can add CONSIDERABLY to the distance you'll walk to the park. I stayed in the HNY four years ago with my parents, sister and her children and we were located in the wing closest to the park (singular only then). Should have been good, but wasn't - had to trek miles to the hotel lobby, then retrace our steps to the area beneath our window and only then begin the walk to the park.

If they can't/won't advise which room you'll be staying in, I'd spring for the DH.

• Main Street Maniac

The Disneyland Hotel is much more "Disney" and by that I mean it really shares the flavours and ambiance of Main Street U.S.A... but, it's a little bit off the beaten trek, especially if you are planning to enjoy the restaurants and the fun at the Disney Village. The New York instead has a much more adult atmosphere and theming but is very close to the disney village and much closer to the parks than one usually imagine. I think it's just a matter of taste. Personally, being close to the Disney Village was something I really appreciated when staying at the New York for the first time while, when I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel, I felt sometimes a little secluded. It really depends on your expectations. If you are with kids and are planning for an ol' time magic and relax mix, just go for the Disneyland.
    Visit my blog at

2008: Disneyland (15 years after the 1st visit!)
    2007: World of Disney New York City
    2006 Disneyland Resort Paris
    1992: Euro Disney Resort
    2005: Tokyo Disney Resort
    1998-2005: Disneyland Paris
    1997: Walt Disney World
    1993: Disneyland

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!. I decided to keep our rooms in the Hotel New York... I like the idea of being in the Disney Village too. I don't think we'll be walking back and forth from the park that much anyway. Leaving next week... can't wait!

--Jonathan

• Plastic Monkey

enjoy!

and run from the evil kittens!
    We Play Rock and Roll