Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Hello!

New flagpoles at the promenade...

Have a look...

I don't know if I really like them. They don't really suit the promenade. One if the French flag, another is a European one and the middle one is the "Disneyland Resort Paris 15" one.

From www.dlrp.fr

• Lordofthemightybeasts

Re: New flagpoles at the promenade...

Hmmm... plain white poles in dug out bunkers in the grass. Not particularly magic are they?

• is satisfactual.

I don't like them at all. After all those problems Euro Disney had with clashing cultures, you'd think they'd have learned to avoid any signs of nationalism. If anything, you should feel like you're entering some geographic warp at any Disney destination, leaving reality and entering... Whatever it says on that sign. And in the early '90s they did in fact remove such overtly nationalistic symbols as the American flags on Main Street (well, the majority of them)... It's just a touchy subject.

But now in a single week all the American flags have returned and a French flag has risen in the very spot that first catches your eye as you enter the esplanade.

I'm probably being a little dramatic, but unnecessary patriotism is just one of those things that makes my stomach churn a little. Like people who enter fine restaurants in brightly colored polyester or Kimora Simmons.

• Hello!

Also, is it just me or does the DLP promenade look a bit stale from that picture. I also think that the DLP promenade should be done like the HKDL one but as if that would ever happen..

• Former Epcot CM

Slightly off-topic but it annoys the hell out of me when I see the European flag placed with the national flag on all government buildings, let alone a friggin' theme park. Yes, European countries are joined in this silly economic bond, but it is not the United States of Europe.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway View Post
    Slightly off-topic but it annoys the hell out of me when I see the European flag placed with the national flag on all government buildings, let alone a friggin' theme park. Yes, European countries are joined in this silly economic bond, but it is not the United States of Europe.
    Agree 100%. Sadly many people I have met from around the world (mainly Americans actually) do seem to think Europe is one big country.

• Rock The World

Some of them also seem to think that Wales is a village outside London where Princess Diana used to live. What can you do, eh?

As for the flagpoles, I've got no real problem with them. I'm sure the turf surrounding them will be repaired in the not-too-distant future, and the presence of a French flag alongside a European one doesn't bother me at all. It's not as if there are any great nationalistic statements inside the theme parks, after all.

(Incidentally, I'd much prefer this to the map of the United States that the Imagineers snuck into the plasterwork of the Arabian Harbour section of Tokyo Disney Sea. That struck me as quite unnecessary.)

• Hello!

They could have painted them green...

• Dutch Dreamer

technically europe has been the united states of europe (known as: European Union, which basicly is the same thing) for a while now (at least 10 years I think)... and it's only the United Kingdom that doesn't want to fit in with the rest... the joined economic bond was formed about 60 years ago and they moved on the the next level 20 years ago, making one big europe without borders.
    We have one European government and one currency, so I don't see any problem with the flags that DLRP is in, namely Europe and France...

I like the flags, but they're clearly not finished with the posts.
    Last edited by jortlaban; 03-11-2007 at 08:30 AM.

• Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by jortlaban View Post
    and it's only england that doesn't want to fit in with the rest....
    Excuse me, but don't you mean the United Kingdom, or Great Britain which includes England and Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland. It's all Goverened by the same Parliament.

Us British don't like it when people refer to Britain as England.

• is satisfactual.

technically europe has been the united states of europe (known as: European Union, which basicly is the same thing) for a while now (at least 10 years I think)... and it's only england that doesn't want to fit in with the rest... the joined economic bond was formed about 60 years ago and they moved on the the next level 20 years ago, making one big europe without borders.
    We have one Euopean government and one currency, so I don't see any problem with the flags that DLRP is in, namely Europe and France...
    Oy, enough already with the Euro-masturbation. Can't we leave this hoohaw at the UN and out of Disneyland? And do you have to turn every thread into a social/political issue?

• Banned User

No, but they should make the UK the 51st United State since Blair shares bed with Bush!

• Dutch Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Fantillusion View Post
    Us British don't like it when people refer to Britain as England.
    sorry to insult you... I hate it to when people say I come from Holland... instead of the Netherlands :S

and as for making a thread political, that happens automaticaly when british start to share more than just their oppinion about a simple flag that has been the symbol for a community they have been part of for a very long time.

• Hello!

sorry to insult you... I hate it to when people say I come from Holland... instead of the Netherlands
    Then why does it say you come from Holland beneath you username?

• Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    No, but they should make the UK the 51st United State since Blair shares bed with Bush!
    No, Blair will retire in May. (I dont know if they tell you that in the US).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast