Thread: Phantom Manor

Phantom Manor

What are the differences between the Phantom Manor and the Haunted Mansion?

Also, which one do you consider to be better in these categories?

Themeing:

Story:

Effects:

Misc:
    Siggy siggy sig sig.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Phantom Manor

I recommend you check out Doombuggies.com.

In a nutshell, there is an apparent storyline in Phantom Manor that revolves around the bride. I've never been though, and it'll be closed when I go!

• Minion

I don't think you can really compare them. They are very different attractions. However, I do prefer Phantom Manor's chilling and haunting soundtrack because it sounds much more orchestral! I don't quite like the exterior though; I know it fits the storyline but I like the elaborate facades of the Haunted Mansions. Phantom Manor's exterior is completely made out of wood and not as grand, yet still spooky in its own right.

I like both storylines. Phantom Manor goes much deeper and has a more cohesive storyline, but it is very dark and lacks the charm and lightheartedness of the Haunted Mansions in my opinion. In terms of special effects, I think they're both on equal footing. Same general format as the Haunted Mansions, but adjusted for the storyline. You'll see more scarier scenes, including some rotten corpses!

I really like Phantom Manor's location on top of the hill, overlooking the Rivers of the Far West (kind of like at Disneyland, where Haunted Mansion sits on the edge of the Rivers of America in New Orleans Square). I really like their loading area with the staircase; very detailed. The interior queue was pretty much on equal footing compared to the other Haunted Mansions. Very lovely exterior queue however; it's longer, plus I love the fountain and the gazebo!

Overall, I would rank it slighly above the Haunted Mansions. But that's only because I love the soundtrack! I would love to see an amalgamation of Phantom Manor and the Haunted Mansion someday, using the best parts from each; that would be the perfect version in my opinion.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Membre

Visit also Happy Haunts website www.happy-haunts.com a tribute to Phantom Manor.

• Lordofthemightybeasts

I agree with TDR_Fan that what really elevates it above The Haunted Mansion is the music. So beatifuly haunting, elegant, romantic yet melancholic... It sets the tone for the ride perfectly, and takes my number two spot for best score ever composed for a Disney attraction.

Unlike the Haunted Mansion's 'jolly side of death' approach, Phantom Manor is more focused on the sense of loss(the manor's loss of beauty, Melanie's loss of her wedding day) and is generally more 'creepy'. It also has some wonderful details such as the gazebo and the garden house(something about those hanging herbs always gives me the chills). The ride is also more macabre than the Haunted Mansions, particularly the catacombs sequence.

The general scene layout is pretty much identical, but with most of the set pieces from the original adapted in some way to include the bride's stoy. The biggest departure comes near the end when instead of a graveyard scene, you find yourself in a Western ghost town to match the attraction's Frontierland setting.

Try searching Phantom Manor in YouTube and you'll find some videos that give a good impression of the ride.

• is satisfactual.

I agree with everything that's been said, but what I especially like about Phantom Manor is the manner in which it forms a part of DLP's Frontierland; the Rivers, the riverboats, Thunder Mesa, Big Thunder Mountain and Phantom Manor aren't stories — they're a story. To me, nothing reinforces my love for PM more than when I've already exited the ride and see Big Thunder and one of the riverboats from the viewing area of Boot Hill. That's when it all starts to feel real. And yes, then I get a little chill.

(Which makes me wonder what exiting the Tower of Terror at the Studios is going to feel like... I guess you'll still get a chill, but only from seeing an ice cream cart.)

• Hello!

I know, I love Thunder Mesa! Frontierland at Disneyland Paris is great, it features some of my favourite Disney theme park attractions. Although, I think the Cottonwood Creek area of the land could do with a redo. It's both attractions and shop are closed. All thats left is the Pocahontis play area, seasonal shoes and The cowboy cookout place. Upsetting.

• Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    (Which makes me wonder what exiting the Tower of Terror at the Studios is going to feel like... I guess you'll still get a chill, but only from seeing an ice cream cart.)
    Lol, Unique isnt it, you wouldn't find that in you're local theme park.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Fantillusion View Post
    I know, I love Thunder Mesa! Frontierland at Disneyland Paris is great, it features some of my favourite Disney theme park attractions. Although, I think the Cottonwood Creek area of the land could do with a redo. It's both attractions and shop are closed. All thats left is the Pocahontis play area, seasonal shoes and The cowboy cookout place. Upsetting.
    As it is I personally think the area is wonderful in an understated, park-like manner (not to push it with the Studios analogies, but again, as opposed to the tarmac wonder next door), but let's face it, the area screams for life, and probably in the shape of Splash Mountain. Unfortunately, the financial situation doesn't allow for much 'screaming'.

But hypothetically speaking, the area's size and remoteness would certainly provide a well-funded Imagineering with a playground of potential (especially when you consider the area behind the tracks and the empty backstage area near Colonel Hathi's). Heck, there's so much room that an E-ticket wouldn't even ruin all the quiet atmosphere but just provide the petting zoo and other small attractions with enough visitors to stay open. Thunder Mesa would be unscathed. But back to the subject/reality...

God.... Phantom Manor is so great. I especially love the ghosts playing cards (which is a weird digital projection). When I visited DL Paris, they let me stay in my Doombuggie for 'unlimited' trips! I think I rode it 30 or 40 times. It was super-relaxing.

To specify... and make my affection for said attraction much more understood, I share this: for some odd reason, the part where all the arms are helping to pack your doombuggy 'coffin' into the earth (in Haunted Mansion's layout, it's the descending-from-the-attic part) is very (very) pleasing and relaxing. It could be it's own spa treatment. You know.... mud bath, facial, being buried alive by blacklit animatronic arms.

• Lordofthemightybeasts

Quote Originally Posted by kayoss View Post
    To specify... and make my affection for said attraction much more understood, I share this: for some odd reason, the part where all the arms are helping to pack your doombuggy 'coffin' into the earth (in Haunted Mansion's layout, it's the descending-from-the-attic part) is very (very) pleasing and relaxing. It could be it's own spa treatment. You know.... mud bath, facial, being buried alive by blacklit animatronic arms.
    It's because you are leaning right back against the doombuggy which covers everything behind you. It's relaxing because of a natural instinct to protect yourself from being attacked from behind- you feel safe knowing that you can see anything coming. Be it wild animals, ghosts or blacklit animatronic arms.

• the F.O.D. solution.

2 completely different attractions. PM is well done, thematically, but I don't care for the romance and drama of it's in-your-face bridal storyline. I prefer randomly exploring a haunted mansion with a subtle storyline that slowly reveals itself.

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Go on youtube. They have videos of the Phantom Manor ride. I saw quite a few of them last week when a very similiar thread like this popped up. It looks really neat IMO but I can't compare the two.