English language @ DLP

I will be arriving in Paris in 2 weeks on my business trip and then heading over to DLP for a few days before heading home. I know very little French besides the basics, so will I have a "problem" in communicating? I imagine I will have a easier time in DLP then in Paris, is that correct? Do I have a valid concern or am I just being overly cautious?

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: English language @ DLP

I don't think you need to worry all castmembers at Disney speak English and so do many people around Paris.You should have no problems!

Enjoy your trip and please bring back a trip report,we want to know how you get on.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

• Banned User

Well, when I went in 92 and 93, my dad and myself had difficulty communicating.
    Also, understanding the one ride dialog is sometimes hard. (Star Tours, etc)

• is satisfactual.

Hmmm, tough one. Generally, I'd say most Cast Members as well as most Parisians have at least a basic grasp on the English language, however, you may hit an obstacle or two.

In my case, there were a few CMs and a woman at the train station ticket booth who didn't speak a word of English, and several CMs who were frankly rather smug about their linguistic abilities (Me: "Do you speak English?" Them: "Wa-Hmph-Do YOU?!").
    It's funny how some CMs are completely offended when asked if they speak English, as if the question was no less ludicrous than if you had asked them if they had bathed recently. Meanwhile, you think to yourself, the last one you encountered didn't appear to even understand the word "toilet" which is why you're asking this one in the first place and are now jumping up and down a little.

In all cases, I found that the best way to handle the situation was to yell, "CNN is all over the world and you don't speak one word of English?" and storm out. No, obviously the way to handle things is to realize that you are in a foreign country and that if anyone should be flexible and patient it is you, not them. So just attempt to describe things in what little French you know and they will appreciate the effort well enough to be a little more helpful.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 04-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.

• Banned User

No, I don't speak French and when I went I had no problems. Don't worry about it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Hmmm, tough one. Generally, I'd say most Cast Members as well as most Parisians have at least a basic grasp on the English language, however, you may hit an obstacle or two.

In my case, there were a few CMs and a woman at the train station ticket booth who didn't speak a word of English, and several CMs who were frankly rather smug about their linguistic abilities (Me: "Do you speak English?" Them: "Wa-Hmph-Do YOU?!").
    It's funny how some CMs are completely offended when asked if they speak English, as if the question was no less ludicrous than if you had asked them if they had bathed recently. Meanwhile, you think to yourself, the last one you encountered didn't appear to even understand the word "toilet" which is why you're asking this one in the first place and are now jumping up and down a little.

In all cases, I found that the best way to handle the situation was to yell, "CNN is all over the world and you don't speak one word of English?" and storm out. No, obviously the way to handle things is to realize that you are in a foreign country and that if anyone should be flexible and patient it is you, not them. So just attempt to describe things in what little French you know and they will appreciate the effort well enough to be a little more helpful.
    CNN and the BBC.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Well, when I went in 92 and 93, my dad and myself had difficulty communicating.
    Well.. that was back then when they forgot to teach CMs in Traditions that one rule of the trade is to "be nice to foreign guests as well as locals". 98% of the Cms working at the park had never been to a Disney park, much less know what kind of experience to offer. One of my most memorable moments the first time I visited DLP one week after it's opening was seeing a popcorn selling CM eating the popcorn from the cart with his bare hands... the same CM I later asked if he knew who Michael Eisner was, and he said... "Non!".

I think things have improved a bit since then...

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

I had very little trouble, despite knowing only about a dozen French words and phrases
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

you'll be fine at Disneyland Paris and Paris either .

Disneyland Paris is the most Foreign Languages spoken Disney Theme Parks in the world and a lots of cast members are from all across the Europe .

English and French are the most spoken languages in the parks . i'm still surprised that we don't have any Japanese Maps compare to WDW and DL and even HKDL . May be one day we will .....

• I <3 o

In Paris, especially in the touristy parts, most people speak some form of english, its ocasionally hard, but just be patient and appreciative that they've attempted to learn your language
    Is this haunted signature
    actually
    stretching?

Or is it your imagination, hmm?
    Rockin' Lady Adelade of Random
    also known as...
    Dominatrix of Randomness

DLRP:
    Well, all important signs are in English as well so that won't cause a problem. And if you have a question there will always be a CM around who speaks English. And otherwise there is always City Hall and the crowd control CM's (most speak English).

As for Paris:
    In the tourist district most people will understand you. The other way around will be a bit more difficult (my opinion) since they have a huge accent. But you will be fine!
    - Milo

Thumbs up Re: English language @ DLP

Thanks for all the great responses to my original email, I feel alot better. I am looking forward to spending some time at DLP and it will be an interesting diversion from going to the Florida & Californina parks all the time.

I'll be sure to let you all know how my adventure turns out when I get back. Thanks again........