Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

I enjoyed my first visit to DLRP last week and was surprised to find Indy's mine cars running "forward". I thought they ran "backward". I watched some video on YouTube of the backward ride and thought that would be a cool ride!
    When did it switch?

• Plastic Monkey

Re: Indiana Jones

2005 i think, it orginally ran forwards and had queues of about 50-70 miniutes, then attendance dwindled so they made it run backwards, and the queues went to about 15 min.

you havent missed much believe me!
    Last edited by J9000; 04-23-2007 at 01:27 PM. Reason: memory
    We Play Rock and Roll

• Minion

Indiana Jones at Disneyland Paris is much better with the carts running forward.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Red Face Re: Indiana Jones

Quote Originally Posted by J9000 View Post
    2005 i think
    Oh man, I must be reading some old reviews.
    thanks!

glad you enjoy your visit at DLP .

you should post a trip report with your thoughs about the parks and everything .

Indy ran backward from 2000 to 2004 .

• On A Disney World Tour...

Yeah they wanted to upgrade and increase its seating capacities to improve Guest Per Hours figures, and made some publicity fuss by switching it backward in the process.
    The result was more neckpain and less sensation because what you see is what you feel in a rollercoaster. Having it backward killed the fright of the looping. Anyway, everybody was glad it was switched back to its way more enjoyable original onward going.
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

this ride need to be closed forever remember this was supposed to be Temprorary till Space Mtn Opened .

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by DLRP_bopazot View Post
    this ride need to be closed forever remember this was supposed to be Temprorary till Space Mtn Opened .
    Yep, if they could shutter this and bring in the EMV ride as planned (Indy/Jungle Safari) were the two concepts. But now Raging Spirits has gone into TDS, something tells me this is pretty permanent.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Minion

I thought the Indiana Jones coaster was pretty fun. The theming could be improved on a bit (Raging Spirits is far more elaborate), but it's a fun attraction nonetheless.

• is satisfactual.

It's a harmless D-ticket. There's plenty of room for that hypothetical EMV ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It's a harmless D-ticket. There's plenty of room for that hypothetical EMV ride.
    I think it barely passes for an E-ticket. If they brought it up to Raging Spirit's standards with all the special effects, I would definitely consider it an E-ticket.

•   

I never knew it was switched back to going forward either. I rode it in 2004 backward and wasn't impressed, thought I'd like it but after the first ride I really had no interest in it again. Actually I think we still have our fastpass ticket stubs that didn't get used.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Cool Re: Indiana Jones

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    ...bring in the EMV ride as planned (Indy/Jungle Safari) were the two concepts....
    Would you care to elaborate?

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Would you care to elaborate?
    Right next to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is a large expansion POD in Adventureland, best seen from the train around DLP. When Imagineers were in R&D mode, they decided not to have a Jungle Cruise, not only because of the language issues (now resolved at HKDL and WDS tram tour), but also because parks all over Europe such as Drayton Manor and Phantasialand had copies that had even copied direct scenes (the rhino chasing someone up apole anyone???). So the only element of the Jungle Cruise you can find is a scaled down river steamer prop in the water betweem Col Haiti's Pizza Outpost (what used to be the Explorer's Club) and the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

But there was a plan to do something else. During the time DLP opened, they were in the middle of the planning stages for Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye at DL. There were two schools of thought. The queues at Big Thunder Mountain were enormous, and they new that Discovery Mountain/Space Mountain would take a huge amount of time and capital to open. So the Temple of Peril opened as a temporary quick fix for the thrill seeking Europeans that expected Roller Coasters in their parks. The concept art for DL's Temple originally was supposed to have the train, Indy, and Indy Mine Train coaster and the Jungle Cruise all interweaving. Due to budget constraints, it never got to that scale. But in the words of Imagineering, no good idea ever truly dies. This was something that could still work in the masterplan of DLP, but instead of the Jungle Cruise, they could create an attraction that used the technology of IJATFE and the now under development Dinosaur due to shortly open in DAK. But Paris could have an original adventure set in the deepest darkest jungle that the temple was being recovered from (simulated outdoors). This would use the latest WOW technology of EMV, fit the bill for the need for thrills and be a world class attraction for the already amazing DLP. Alas, the land still sits empty, along with the pods for the planned:

- Geyser Mountain (next to the Rivers of the Far West and Phantom Manor
    - Cottonwood Creek Splash Mountain
    - Beauty and the Beast Show
    - The Little Mermaid Dark Ride
    - Toontown
    - Discovery Mountain including the fine dining Visionary Restaurant

To think what could have been and what might be one day.

If the DLp had faired better financially, the locals didn't mind fireworks (1992 they were amazing, both in the park, and the fantasmic/illuminations type show on Lake Buena Vista), and the Disney University stuck to their guns on standards, DLP could have been the finest park in the world, beating TDS, DL and anything in that horrible FLA swampland. Oh well.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Right next to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril is a large expansion POD in Adventureland, best seen from the train around DLP. When Imagineers were in R&D mode, they decided not to have a Jungle Cruise, not only because of the language issues (now resolved at HKDL and WDS tram tour), but also because parks all over Europe such as Drayton Manor and Phantasialand had copies that had even copied direct scenes (the rhino chasing someone up apole anyone???). So the only element of the Jungle Cruise you can find is a scaled down river steamer prop in the water betweem Col Haiti's Pizza Outpost (what used to be the Explorer's Club) and the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse.

But there was a plan to do something else. During the time DLP opened, they were in the middle of the planning stages for Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye at DL. There were two schools of thought. The queues at Big Thunder Mountain were enormous, and they new that Discovery Mountain/Space Mountain would take a huge amount of time and capital to open. So the Temple of Peril opened as a temporary quick fix for the thrill seeking Europeans that expected Roller Coasters in their parks. The concept art for DL's Temple originally was supposed to have the train, Indy, and Indy Mine Train coaster and the Jungle Cruise all interweaving. Due to budget constraints, it never got to that scale. But in the words of Imagineering, no good idea ever truly dies. This was something that could still work in the masterplan of DLP, but instead of the Jungle Cruise, they could create an attraction that used the technology of IJATFE and the now under development Dinosaur due to shortly open in DAK. But Paris could have an original adventure set in the deepest darkest jungle that the temple was being recovered from (simulated outdoors). This would use the latest WOW technology of EMV, fit the bill for the need for thrills and be a world class attraction for the already amazing DLP. Alas, the land still sits empty, along with the pods for the planned:

- Geyser Mountain (next to the Rivers of the Far West and Phantom Manor
    - Cottonwood Creek Splash Mountain
    - Beauty and the Beast Show
    - The Little Mermaid Dark Ride
    - Toontown
    - Discovery Mountain including the fine dining Visionary Restaurant

To think what could have been and what might be one day.

If the DLp had faired better financially, the locals didn't mind fireworks (1992 they were amazing, both in the park, and the fantasmic/illuminations type show on Lake Buena Vista), and the Disney University stuck to their guns on standards, DLP could have been the finest park in the world, beating TDS, DL and anything in that horrible FLA swampland. Oh well.
    If it's any consolation, I already think Disneyland Paris is better than any of the 4 parks in Walt Disney World. However, Disneyland Paris has a long way to go before it can even equal Disneyland or Tokyo DisneySea. It needs more attractions to match up to Disneyland and a higher level of detail to match Tokyo DisneySea. I don't know if that's possible right now though.

The perfect Disney resort, in my opinion, would be a fully realized Disneyland Paris paired along with Tokyo DisneySea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast