Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Tic Tac?

Question Cars ride - is it really a good idea?

First off, we all know who's writing this; Mayor Lurkey, Chicken Little fanatic and hardly the biggest Cars fan in the world. But I am trying to make a point, so let's get past that.

I'm not too sure a Cars ride is a good idea. Yes, people like it, but I'm not sure it deserves a ride. Most rides in the Disneyland parks are either based on classic movies (Snow White) or not based on movies at all (in fact, they sometimes inspire movies, like POTC). Making a whole ride based on this movie is not, in my opinion, a good idea.
    I've been thinking, and I've actually thought of other movies that might deserve rides; The Incredibles, The Rescuers, Treasure Planet (it would make a pretty cool ride, regardless of how popular the movie was) to name a few. Will people still remember Cars in a decade's time? Should the company really make a ride based on a movie that might, for all we know, just be a flash in the pan? This is just something that's been bothering me.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• Banned User

Re: Cars ride - is it really a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayor Lurkey View Post
    I'm not too sure a Cars ride is a good idea. Yes, people like it, but I'm not sure it deserves a ride. This is just something that's been bothering me.
    Don't let it bother you so much. The "Cars" ride is just a teacups style ride, and not a dark ride like Snow White. I's intended for young kids and parents to ride together I believe. Besides... I am not sure how popular this movie was in Europe, but to this day, they still have a HUGE Cars mural at the front of the park.

I don't worry too much about it, in the end kids see 'cute cars' and a beautifully themed area, whether a movie deserves a ride is up to the management. Pixar is important to Disney's current successes at the boxoffices so it's no wonder they added it. Finding Nemo definitely deserves a big ride which is right accross the street.

I doubt if that many small kids are into Alice in Wonderland but they love the teacup ride. And Cinderella never received a ride, newer movies are mostly used in shows such as Beauty & The Beast and the Lion King. Newer classics haven't been used much for Fantasyland type rides simply because the Fantasylands are good as they are and adding new rides isn't commercially very interesting...

• Tic Tac?

But they could have based the ride on anything else, couldn't they? I know this is more about me personally, but is it not possible that they've gone overboard for this movie? What about Meet the Robinsons? Wasn't that better?

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

I've been thinking, and I've actually thought of other movies that might deserve rides; The Incredibles, The Rescuers, Treasure Planet (it would make a pretty cool ride, regardless of how popular the movie was) to name a few. Will people still remember Cars in a decade's time? Should the company really make a ride based on a movie that might, for all we know, just be a flash in the pan? This is just something that's been bothering me.
    People wont remember The Incredibles in a decade that is for sure, most are not sure about them anymore plus the PG rating really holds it back. The Rescuers is a really dated film that I doubt most kids would know anyone from...heck most people in the 20's are lucky if they remember that one. Treasure Planet was one of the biggest let downs for the company in a LONG time, I would not be on the look out for anything from that anytime soon.

The Cars attraction is jumping on the bandwagon of what is hot and now. It was a good film and who knows how long it will stick with us.
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    People wont remember The Incredibles in a decade that is for sure, most are not sure about them anymore plus the PG rating really holds it back.

Nonsense! Good movies will always be remembered and rediscovered. And if they build a ride, it WILL be remembered even longer.

My entire youth, I NEVER saw Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs because it wasn't released on home video until I was in high school or something. But I knew it because of the ride. Rides have the power to do that... they'll stay with you longer than a movie will because it's a REAL experience and not just a movie.

Back to the topic of CARS... making a ride based on the movie isn't the bad idea. It's a GREAT movie to theme a ride for. The entire PARK though... was a bad idea and by adding a tea cups style ride in the middle of nowhere convinces me further of that.

So, for a park that has no real future of being a great park... putting Cars in there is a GOOD idea. It's something to do.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

It's actually a very small ride to represent the movie. It could have easily been a more expensive autopia or Test Track style CARS attraction.

• Tic Tac?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerm View Post
    People wont remember The Incredibles in a decade that is for sure, most are not sure about them anymore plus the PG rating really holds it back. The Rescuers is a really dated film that I doubt most kids would know anyone from...heck most people in the 20's are lucky if they remember that one. Treasure Planet was one of the biggest let downs for the company in a LONG time, I would not be on the look out for anything from that anytime soon.

The Cars attraction is jumping on the bandwagon of what is hot and now. It was a good film and who knows how long it will stick with us.
    While you did make a good point about the other films (Treasure Planet especially, I was only suggesting it because I thought it would make an interesting ride), I'm still not sure if 'jumping on the bandwagon' is a good idea. How would we feel if they decided to base a ride on High School Musical, for instance? I heard they made an attraction like that, and it didn't go down too well with most people on here. And we all know if they made a ride based on my beloved Chicken Little, there'd be a lot of annoyed people (and more defending for me to do). Now, don't turn this into C.L vs. Cars, I'm merely making a point.
    Last edited by Mayor Lurkey; 04-26-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Mayor Lurkey rocks!

• is satisfactual.

This is going to be one tedious post, but here I go.

And not to sound like Pragmire here, but I'm far more concerned about the basic justification for the ride and surrounding area. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them building at all, but what we're getting here is Pixar soup with a Toontown backdrop on a studio lot. Does that work?

Well, let's just call it "whimsy".

I'm sure Crush will be a great attraction, but that about says it all.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    This is going to be one tedious post, but here I go.

And not to sound like Pragmire here, but I'm far more concerned about the basic justification for the ride and surrounding area. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm glad to see them building at all, but what we're getting here is Pixar soup with a Toontown backdrop on a studio lot. Does that work?

Well, let's just call it "whimsy".

I'm sure Crush will be a great attraction, but that about says it all.

Not tedious at all. You described exactly what the problem with having a "studios" is. Unless you have specific genres in different areas, you're gong to end up with a jambalaya of various rides and attractions that make absolutely no sense next to each other.

But I suppose if you break a park down into different genres, you get Disneyland.

• Hitchhiker

Don't know about Cars.. but why does Disney have to build so much movie-tie-in attractions anyway? Where's the originality? I fear the day they bring something like this to Frontierland.. the day Frontierland died.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Don't know about Cars.. but why does Disney have to build so much movie-tie-in attractions anyway? Where's the originality? I fear the day they bring something like this to Frontierland.. the day Frontierland died.

Well... we ARE talking about a Movie Studios theme park here. But yah... how does Cars and Crush Coaster fit even into that model?? Exactly.

• Jerm is Food...Not Friend

About 5 min from where the Magic really started

How would we feel if they decided to base a ride on High School Musical, for instance? I heard they made an attraction like that, and it didn't go down too well with most people on here.
    Actually the High School Musical pep rally is one of the highest rated things in DCA and doing well in MGM right now. I am not saying jumping on the band wagon is a good thing, look at Tarzan's Treehouse.....still no one cares.

That area of the studio didn't fit to start with now they are just trying to add more to make it fit with things that don't fit.

J
    Kungaloosh!

*END OF LINE*

• Membre

DLRP.fr posted new pictures of the upcoming attraction, actually I think it looks very good !

http://www.dlrp.fr/actu_toon_studio_...ster_1146.html

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Also, this is not new. Mr Toad's Wild Ride is/was very popular at DL and WDW. Alice in Wonderland has several attractions, but is hardly a stellar film. The Matterhorn was based on the little known Third Man on the Mountain and so on. These were built when Walt was in charge (shock horror). I am looking forward to Cars Race Rally (but then again I too am biased as it is my son's and my favorite Pixar feature).

But I must admit, Disney is indeed at it's best when they create new, non film related attractions.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast