Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Rock The World

Re: Walt Disney Studios - The Future

My big idea, Part 2.

1.) Shift the Tram Tour station to the Backlot area, alongside the Cafe des Cascadeurs. In its place, behind the new backdrop that going to built to mark the end of the Hollywood Boulevard, build a brand spanking new central plaza. This will mark the true heart of the park, and will be a nice, open, green space with some intricate coloured tiling on the floor (think the Parque Guel in Barcelona), winding little paths, trees and maybe a water feature or two.

2.) Leading away from this, out past the rear of the park, build another street set, but on a different theme. Perhaps a 1930s Chicago street, populated by gangsters and their molls. You could call it "Mean Street USA". The buildings on this stretch of street would not be mere facades, but would contain a few shops, and the park's first full service restaurant. (My idea is to call it "The Rabbit Hole" and fill it with subtle references to Jessica Rabbit).
    The new Tram Tour station would be housed on the left hand side of this street (when you're standing with Studio 1 behind you), and would follow a different route, starting with the Reign Of Fire set, and running along behind the Chicago facades on that side of the street.

3.) Mean Street USA would culminate in a large signature building of some sort, housing a totally new and exclusive E-ticket attraction. I have no idea what this could be - something using the Test Track system would indeed be fun, or perhaps an EMV ride. Or then again, something unlike anything at any of the other Disney parks would be great. Answers on a postcard!

4.) A new version of Fantasmic would be built on the land behind Rock 'n' Roller Coaster and Moteurs... Action! This would be accessible each evening, either by a new path built between the two Backlot attractions, or via a crossing from Mean Street USA, after the last tram of the day has completed the circuit.
    I've only seen the Disney/MGM version of the show, and wasn't too impressed, so I propose something a bit punchier, perhaps on a smaller scale but more dramatic. And with a storyline that spans Disney animation from "The Skeleton Dance" to "The Lion King".

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    My big idea, Part 2.

1.) Shift the Tram Tour station to the Backlot area, alongside the Cafe des Cascadeurs. [...]

2.) Leading away from this, out past the rear of the park, build another street set, but on a different theme. Perhaps a 1930s Chicago street, populated by gangsters and their molls. You could call it "Mean Street USA". The buildings on this stretch of street would not be mere facades, but would contain a few shops, and the park's first full service restaurant. (My idea is to call it "The Rabbit Hole" and fill it with subtle references to Jessica Rabbit). [...]
    1. Sane and seemingly inevitable; 2. Exactly, this park needs mid-century themeing and with that Roger Rabbit. Please tell them. They can always stick in more Pixar after that.

• Minion

^^^ While Roger Rabbit would be a nice complement to the "Golden Age Hollywood" theme here and in Orlando, I doubt Disney will ever make any further RR rides, 1) given the painful negotiations with Amblin which this would necessiate, 2) the fact that Roger Rabbit has faded in the memory of most non-Disneyphiles and 3) the large arsenal of characters that Disney / Pixar have developed since 1988 (when RR was released), which require no outside agreements.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    ^^^ While Roger Rabbit would be a nice complement to the "Golden Age Hollywood" theme here and in Orlando, I doubt Disney will ever make any further RR rides, 1) given the painful negotiations with Amblin which this would necessiate, 2) the fact that Roger Rabbit has faded in the memory of most non-Disneyphiles and 3) the large arsenal of characters that Disney / Pixar have developed since 1988 (when RR was released), which require no outside agreements.
    Just the atmosphere of the movie is enough, really. Robert Zemeckis did the best job capturing that old Hollywood feeling I've ever seen. The rabbit and the girl would be wonderful additions, even for a shop or restaurant theme, but not absolutely necessary. There are other franchises to tap into. But WDI need to look at Who Framed Roger Rabbit over and over again until they realize that that should be their new angle for the WDS.

However, I would find it unspeakably sad if every new ride and area of this park from this day on will need to revolve around a recent Pixar hit.

Also, everyone always focuses on the rides (which is understandable), but this particular park needs pleasant shopping and dining facilities just as badly. There is literally one small shop past Studio 1. The Toon Studios did not bring us a new shop. The new Hollywood Boulevard is not going to contain a single shop. The only new shop we're going to see in a long time will be the ToT gift shop.

Rides it has. What it needs is everything else that makes up a theme park.

• Minion

Another movie, besides Roger Rabbit, that Disney could have used, that would have fit nicely with the 1930s - 1940s era, was Dick Tracy, another gem of the late 80s / early 90s Disney / Touchstone renaissance. That movie had some truly superb set pieces / cinematography, which would have made a great theme park area. But this film was sadly overshadowed by Batman and other films of the time. There was supposed to have been a "Dick Tracy Crimestoppers" ride added to Disney MGM Studios in Orlando, using the technology that eventually made its way to "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast", but it was one of the many "Disney Decade" projects that fell by the wayside. In the original plan for Disney-MGM Studios in Paris, there was supposed to have been a "Gangster Shootout" located across the main plaza from the Chinese Theater. I suspect, though don't know for sure, that this would be similar to the "Dick Tracy Crimestoppers" ride. I doubt they will, but if they revive the concept, it would fit in with the theming that they are now trying to incorporate.
    Last edited by tasman; 06-18-2007 at 09:21 PM.

• Pirate - G'har!

I like that idea and it could easily be part of the movie studio theme, just hope it isn't too violent shooting criminals with pistols as opposed to aliens with lasers.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I like that idea and it could easily be part of the movie studio theme, just hope it isn't too violent shooting criminals with pistols as opposed to aliens with lasers.
    Well, one of the nice things about the movie was that, although a lot of guys got knocked off, there was very little graphic violence compared to Batman and other contemporary films. But you are right, how they would handle that in a ride setting, is a trickier question. However, the rides I mentioned had pretty much already been designed (I have seen concept art for the Crimestoppers ride), so I am sure WDI had thought through the issue.

• Pirate - G'har!

Yeah. Hey, it could just be an ordinary dark ride - dun duh duuuuuuh. You go through the sets of the movie with in your car all the scenes with cameras in view and everything (though the riders would focus on the scene being shot).

• No honestly it is me

I love topics like this!!!

Soundtracker/pussnboots I love your ideas, it's like you have both taken a trip through my imagination or something as I was thinking the same kind of things!

The 'crimestoppers' ride was actually designed for the original early 90's MGM Europe plan. This was using the EMV technology. I wonder if this could be an economically viable ride for WDS? surely this has already been designed so would just need updating and building which would keep costs lower?

My Plan for WDS's future would be:

1: Extend the boulevard, turn Production courtyard into 'Theatre district' using the same 1930's hollywood theming. Make everything look real and not like sets.

2: Move the Tram tour entrance to the Backlot and rename to Backlot tour, add new sets eg Pearl harbour.

3: Update the backlot themeing wise but keep the name, I don't like 'action studios' Little touches like Soundtracker suggested and how about a giant billboard on a building with a big meteor hole through the middle? lots of little touches like this would be great.

4: Move the costuming building and extend Toon Studio - build the Tokyo version of Monsters Inc which is similar to Buzz Lightyear so very re-rideable. Move Pizzaplanet to the Toon Studios.

5: Build an Indy ride near the end of the Boulevard, something new and amazing, maybe an updated EMV version but somehow create a way of taking guests from the 1930's themed Boulevard into a hidden Lost river Delta section of the park. Remember in Raiders of the Lost Ark how he gets on the plane and you see the map of where he is going? Surely they can think of a way of transporting you 'theme wise' into the Lost River Delta? also add in another restaurant, Indy Outpost or something.

6: Replace Animagique with Mickeys Philharmagic and make the front of Toon Studio less blue and much more curvy, I hate the new flooring so replace that (just the black bits maybe?) add in the giant paint brush etc seen on the original concept art and put twinkling lights in the trees for nightime.

7: At the very end of the new boulevard build the Great Movie Ride that should have been in the park from day one. Update it to include classic new films like Titanic/LOTR/Potter etc

8: Avoid adding Pixar to everything and everywhere, keep it in toon studios where it should be.

So ride/show/Restaurant wise:
    1: Monsters Inc: Mike and Sully to the rescue
    2: Pizza Planet Restaurant
    3: Indy EMV ride in 'Lost River Delta'
    4: Indiana Outpost Restaurant
    5: Mickeys Philharmagic
    6: The Great Movie Ride

any comments?

• Pirate - G'har!

Hmm, I'm not sure. There is already an Indy ride in the resort and if another one got build it would be there where it fit in, not the studios. I agree totally about the flooring but I think Animagique is fine and tailored to the idea of an animation studio. Phillarmagic would fit much less with that idea. Also, WDS has a Great Movie Ride alternative and a great one at that, Cinemagique (I never liked the idea of the great movie ride anyway, plus if you can get Potter in there I'll give you 1000. I don't think Disney is HP's greatest fan right now...). Also, how would Pizza Planet fit in with Toon Studio? The Animator's Palette might be a good one though. Backlot does need lots of little touches, I had an idea http://www.uni.uiuc.edu/library/blog...mages/cars.jpg
    that sort of thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12