Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Pirate - G'har!

Walt Disney Studios - The Future

Everyone post ideas! This is just a thread for anything (realistic or not) that you want to see added to the studios or the direction you think it should go in. I believe it can be made into a good, even great second gate because it has such potential (as far as I'm concerned the layout is a little more sensical than Disney-MGM just cos I never got the whole echo lake bit, if anyone can explain that please do btw lol).

My Ideas:
    1. Tart up Toon Studio slightly with just some touches like a camera crane with goofy hanging off it coming out of one of the planters or such the like, maybe even a new sit-down restaurant if there's the space.

2. The entire production courtyard becomes the hollywood street set with Cinemagique becoming perhaps the El Capitan or something. The TV Studios would be sort of segregated from this, the idea being it was just the tv section of the studio near the hollywood set.

3. Backlot would essentially remain the same, now officially the only concretey nitty gritty area with perhaps just a bit of decoration like toon studio, cars piled up on a spike ala wayne's world or maybe some kind of burning sculpture, I dunno just something

4. Now I wander a bit into the more unrealistic but possible. The tram tour entrance would be relocated to the backlot and it would become backlot tour while the hollywood set tunnel would lead to (drum roll) Tune Studio. Yeah the name might be a little, well, confusing but I like it. This area would be the sound department and would feature a Fantasia Attraction (3D motion simulator perhaps) and a fun attraction about movie sound design. Now I know what you're gonna say, why the hell is rock 'n' roller coaster over in backlot when it should really be in Toon Studios. My answer? Well, it's a bit of a dodgy one but the idea of R'n'RC would be changed slightly so that it's the shoot for an Aerosmith video (maybe a little queue/pre-show alteration) which would make sense. Tune Studio would be very interestingly designed and bright with lots of curvy paths and such and pretty buildings for the attractions (and the usual assortment of shops/eateries etc).

5. Small street sets round the back near Tune Studio from which you can either go left to backlot or advance forward to the sets for New York and Paris perhaps.

6. Something at the back. I don't know what, but something big. Fantasmic maybe (not very studioish though) or even the visual effects department where there's tons of interactive kind of exhibits throughout with blue screens or something (hmm, Armageddon...I guess that's more special effects as opposed to visual effects but what the hey, the something big can be something else). If anyone can think of anything big please be my guest

7. Just a touch of life throughout. Like people actually shooting on the Hollywood set (and definitely the NY/Paris sets) just to make it feel like a buzzing studio but with Disney quality, life and magic.

Thank you if you've read all this and please post your ideas (sorry for the long post).

• is satisfactual.

Re: Walt Disney Studios - The Future

I think there's really only one way to go. The original plan for Phase 2, where the Tram Tour entrance would make way for a significantly extended boulevard, was perfect. And even though they decided to go ahead and build the ToT in its current place six ft. from Studio 1 as opposed to at the end of this boulevard, that plan might still have more merit than anything else.

They can gussy up Animation Courtyard with blue paint and statues all they want, but it's still going to be Animation Courtyard. I say, the ToT is a good start; build on that. Build 1930s Glamourland. Throw in a little Broadway, a little Chicago, a little Paris, a little jazz, start sidetracking with a little Indy to exploit the timeframe and see where that could lead. Lots of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Loads of brown leather and smudgy 1940sness. Vintage ads, vintage cars. Stop showing us the backside of every set. Stop building sets that look like sets. Start making attractions fit their environment and vice versa.

In other words, dig up those old pieces of concept art they did for the Disney-MGM Studios.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 06-16-2007 at 02:26 PM.

if you look at google earth (or other simular website/programs) you will notice a large area in the middle of the backlot tour between catastrophe Canyon (SP?) and the London Dragon scenes. The area is currently just full of trees.

I would like to see most of these trees removed with just enough to shield from view a huge ampitheatre to hold Fantasmic. The entrance would be via a subway under the existing tram route for the Backlot tour. Fantasmic would encourage guests to stay longer in the park and offer a nice "treat" for the end of the day.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by it398 View Post
    if you look at google earth (or other simular website/programs) you will notice a large area in the middle of the backlot tour between catastrophe Canyon (SP?) and the London Dragon scenes. The area is currently just full of trees.

I would like to see most of these trees removed with just enough to shield from view a huge ampitheatre to hold Fantasmic. The entrance would be via a subway under the existing tram route for the Backlot tour. Fantasmic would encourage guests to stay longer in the park and offer a nice "treat" for the end of the day.
    That would be a piece of protected forest. But I'm glad to see they'd have at least one vote for that Amazon Disneyland idea they've been toying with.

• Minion

The only way to fix this park is to add quality E tickets. So far, since the opening of the park, TOT is the only such addition, but by itself won't do much. The Toon Studio rides are not good enough to provide long term increases in visitor volume. I know Disney isn't likely to spend the money, but a Tokyo-style Pooh ride would have attracted many more guests than a nausea-inducing Nemo coaster. A simple way to move forward would be to port all future DCA developments here...Toy Story Mania, Carland, etc. Also, a Fantasmic show and a quality theatrical presentation are no-brainers in this "movie" park.

• Banned User

I agree with you. Hopefully, something along those lines will happen soon at WDSP and HKDL as well.

• Pirate - G'har!

Carland wouldn't work since they already have a cars section of toon studio. Also how does Fantasmic tie into the movie theme? I've never seen it

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Carland wouldn't work since they already have a cars section of toon studio. Also how does Fantasmic tie into the movie theme? I've never seen it
    OMG!!! You have never seen "Fantasmic!" The entire show is an excellent salute to the long legacy of hand-drawn animated films from WDS. Plus the show itself has it's own storyline (Villains taking over Mickey's Imagination) and the entire plot draws heavily from almost every animated Disney movie ever made. It's FABULOUS and it would be a great addition to WDSP, just like it was a great addition at MGM (even though I think the original presentation in DL is nicer than Orlando's).

To be honest i really like the Walt Disney Studios park. I believe it has some great attractions. As with everything good, i'd like to see more, but for me the only real problem with the park is how its set out.
    In short, it's too well designed. the majority of the rides are located in 2 areas and all within a stone's throw of each other. We (as a family) tend to fit the rides in around the shows (as they are fixed times) the problem is that small crowds + short distances between attractions means we finish early. If when originally laying out the park the spread it out a bit people would spend a lot more time walking between attractions and this would help to fill out the day more. This is simular to the Disneyland park next door where typically we will get a fastpass for Space Mountain and then queue for Big Thunder or Visaversa. We often cross the park just to ride 1 attraction. In the studios park this just doesn't really happen.

• Rock The World

Ok, here's my two cents' worth.

1.) Completley refurbish the current Production Courtyard Plaza, remaking it as the "Theatre District". Re-pave the floor, include more trees and flower beds, remove the puny central stage and replace it with a musical fountain that performs a coordinated "dance" to famous movie scores every half an hour or so. Remodel Cinemagique's facade to resemble a classic 1930s movie house, complete with red carpet, vintage car parked outside, and a performing group of "news hounds", stopping to snap pictures of the guests as they enter.

2.) Build Soarin' Over The World in the space between Cinemagique and Stitch Encounter. Give it a huge, imposing art deco facade and logo. Really make it stand out, whilst remaining sensitive to the buildings surrounding it.

3.) Give the Backlot a proper entrance. Erect a raised security barrier and guard hut outside Armageddon. Give the definite impression that you're passing from one distinct area of the studios to another.

4.) Lightly re-theme the Backlot. Extend the themes of the attractions from the interiors to the exterior. For example, make it look as though a concert is being set up inside the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster building. Turn the exit ramp into a "loading bay", complete with stacks of amps, coils of wire, lighting rigs, a drum kit still in its cases, etc. Plaster the walls of the attraction with fliers for Aerosmith, and "home made" adverts for the attraction.
    Stack a load of wrecked car parts outside Moteurs... Action! In fact, turn that whole corner of the Backlot into a "stunt show graveyard", where they store the evidence of past stunts, explosions and special effects.
    Have a hole blown in the wall of the Armageddon building, that spews smoke at regular intervals.

Those are my ideas for the development of the existing areas of the park. I'll have to give some thought to any future expansions.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Ok, here's my two cents' worth.

1.) Completley refurbish the current Production Courtyard Plaza, remaking it as the "Theatre District". Re-pave the floor, include more trees and flower beds, remove the puny central stage and replace it with a musical fountain that performs a coordinated "dance" to famous movie scores every half an hour or so. Remodel Cinemagique's facade to resemble a classic 1930s movie house, complete with red carpet, vintage car parked outside, and a performing group of "news hounds", stopping to snap pictures of the guests as they enter.

2.) Build Soarin' Over The World in the space between Cinemagique and Stitch Encounter. Give it a huge, imposing art deco facade and logo. Really make it stand out, whilst remaining sensitive to the buildings surrounding it.

3.) Give the Backlot a proper entrance. Erect a raised security barrier and guard hut outside Armageddon. Give the definite impression that you're passing from one distinct area of the studios to another.

4.) Lightly re-theme the Backlot. Extend the themes of the attractions from the interiors to the exterior. For example, make it look as though a concert is being set up inside the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster building. Turn the exit ramp into a "loading bay", complete with stacks of amps, coils of wire, lighting rigs, a drum kit still in its cases, etc. Plaster the walls of the attraction with fliers for Aerosmith, and "home made" adverts for the attraction.
    Stack a load of wrecked car parts outside Moteurs... Action! In fact, turn that whole corner of the Backlot into a "stunt show graveyard", where they store the evidence of past stunts, explosions and special effects.
    Have a hole blown in the wall of the Armageddon building, that spews smoke at regular intervals.
    o
    Those are my ideas for the development of the existing areas of the park. I'll have to give some thought to any future expansions.
    I love the theater district idea. I can't begin to express how much that area needs such a makeover. And it shouldn't be too hard considering they basically have a blank canvas to work on anyway.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 06-18-2007 at 09:49 AM.

• Pirate - G'har!

haha, yeah, you could do anything with it! Plus, by the sounds of it Fantasmic fits in to the 'something very big' slot perfectly

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Carland wouldn't work since they already have a cars section of toon studio.
    "Carland" in DCA is supposed to include one major "Test Track" style attraction and two minor attractions. I wouldn't be suprised if one of the minor attractions is similar to the one that just opened in Paris. It would be very easy (physically speaking) to remove the litte "Toon Town" set they now have, and place the Test-Trackish attraction there. Since Paris does not have anything yet that makes use of the Test Track technology, this would be something unique to the Studios park.

• Senior Minion

Fantasmic
    Philarmagic
    Muppet Vision
    More Streetmosphere
    and if you're going to keep the Tram Tour, at least update it and make it more glamorous than 'Dinotopia' and 'Reign of Fire'.

And have all this done by the time I next visit DLP.

Which is in 7 weeks!

• Pirate - G'har!

Well I think a test track style ride would be welcome in the studios but not in the toon realm and indeed the cars realm since that base and the whole Route 66 base is covered. Outside of that it can be marketed properly as a thrill attraction. One idea I had was for 007 Stunt Track, where you get in an aston-martin using test track technology and zoom around explosive stunts and effects, but alas, MGM aren't involved in WDS, however the 007 isn't vital, it could simply be 'Stunt Track' (hmm, that would work as a nice sort of sister attraction to test track as well). Problem is it might have too many paralells to moteurs...action but I don't think that would matter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast