Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

English in the rides.

I live in America, so it might be a long time till I get out to DLP. I was wondering if all the ride dialogue is in French or is it also in English. Ride dialogue is a major thing for me. The Haunted Mansion wouldn't be the same without the Ghosthost spiel.

• is satisfactual.

Re: English in the rides.

It depends. The dialog in Pirates and Phantom Manor is mostly French, with the exception of some of the more utilitarian spiels and some for which the ride vehicle slows down enough to allow for both versions (eg. Madame Leota). In other rides (and shows), certain characters will speak exclusively English while others will speak exclusively French, mingling together effortlessly as if there was no language barrier at all (as if it were a small world, after all). Wishes is a prime example of this, in which Jiminy Cricket has a perky chat with the Blue Fairy even though she's babbling on in French. Other shows, such as The Legend of the Lion King and most at the Studios, will play in both (or more) languages at set times.

Language has always been an issue at Disneyland Paris, and in Europe as a whole for that matter (take the problems surrounding the euro currency alone). It even lead to the scrapping of the Jungle Cruise, which was simply too reliant on language to work for the park.

The reality is that if you don't speak any French, you will feel as though you are on the outside of the joke on certain rides (most painfully, Pirates and Phantom Manor). However, French is a wonderful language and you might even take this as an incentive to brush up on your French, or to start learning some.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 06-24-2007 at 03:10 AM.

• Pirate - G'har!

I feel the multi-language element of DLRP does lend it a kind of charm though which I love. btw Haunted Mansion doesn't really exist at DLRP, Phantom Manor does, so it's not like you'd be riding HM without narration, it's a whole different experience.

Which sadly was originally voiced by no other than Vincent Price, thought his laughter can still be heard fortunately. I wish they had optional English intro spiels to the introduction (like once an hour), changing the voice track cannot be more than a button away... but I suppose it is crowd management issue.

• Pirate - G'har!

It wasn't a running narration by Price though I believe

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    It even lead to the scrapping of the Jungle Cruise, which was simply too reliant on language to work for the park.
    The main reason for not building Jungle Cruise was that the water would freeze over in European winters. There are many days when the Molly Brown doesn't run on the river because of this problem.

The first idea they had at DLRP was that wherever the ride / show originated, then that would be the main language of that show / ride. So in effect - Peter Pan should be in English, Snow White in German and Cinderella in French. It didn't work out that way. As any who has been on Star Tours knows the robot babbles away in French but C3PO responds in English. At "Honey I shrunk the audience" (Cherie, je retricie le public!) the idea there was to find out who was the majority language in any given audience and then the soundtrack would be in that language. The rest could listen to a translation in their languages through headphones. French always dominated and trying to use the headphones had two problems. The French soundtrack was so loud it interfered with your listening on the cans or the headphones just didn't work at all thanks to heavy handed yobs who think its fun to ruin things for everyone else. The same problem existed at "Jules Verne / Timekeeper".
    They then came up with a multi language show about Winnie the Pooh (Winnie l'ourson). Played out on the castle stage in Hundred Acre Wood it went thus:
    Christopher Robin: Hello! Pooh. How are you?
    Pooh: "Bonjour, Christophe! Je va bien.
    Owl: Was machen sie hier?
    and so on.
    It was totally confusing for small kids.
    Yes, Pirates and Phantom Manor in French are disconcerting if you don't speak the language. Most cast members speak at least two languages - shown on their name badges by flags. Throw into this mix the fact that many Dutch people go to the park and you can see the problem that ensues. (Although most modern Dutch people speak perfect English).
    I don't suppose they will ever solve the problem but it adds to the European mix and the fun isn't dented by it.
    Many characters have French names - Goofy = Dingu, Chip n' Dale = Tic and Toc, Tinkerbelle = Clochette. Thankfully MIckey remains MIckey!
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Coming soon...

I don't mind that I can't understand the Phantom Manor narration, because, unlike it's inferior US cousins the PM relies on atmosphere through haunting music and atmosphere. Unlike the HMs, the PM ride does not have a running commentary through the ride, the story unfolds through music and images. Though, if you truly want to knwo what's going on in the story, you might want to check out the sotry on the internet before your trip.

It would be kinda cool if they could get like one of those headphone translators that many shows in DLR use!
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

Just to note that normally when i visit Disneyland Paris and go on Honey I Shrunk the Audience we usually have to wear the translation headphones. although occassionally when the attraction is not very busy a cast member will ask the audience in the preshow where they're from. if over half the audiance is English (and it does happen sometimes) they will switch to the English version of the film and those wanting French must use the Headphones.

Also the Legend of the Lion King show has various show times, some are English and some are french, they are listed on a board out front so you just turn up to the right show.

• Pirate - G'har!

Hehe, while we're on the subject, don't you just love the Franglish attraction titles at DLRP? The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith, Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune, Armageddon Les Effets Speciaux, Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril. Amusing as they are though, they really do the job nicely.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Hehe, while we're on the subject, don't you just love the Franglish attraction titles at DLRP? The Rock 'n' Roller Coaster avec Aerosmith, Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune, Armageddon Les Effets Speciaux, Indiana Jones et le Temple du Peril. Amusing as they are though, they really do the job nicely.
    My favorite one was De la Terre à la Lune, but sadly the name has been replaced by a generic Mission 2.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    My favorite one was De la Terre à la Lune, but sadly the name has been replaced by a generic Mission 2.
    I know. While I love SM as mission 2 and don't think it was by any means a 'downgrade' it would have been far better to update the ride according to the moon story. Oh well, I at least still think it's a great ride

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: English in the rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    I wish they had optional English intro spiels to the introduction (like once an hour), changing the voice track cannot be more than a button away... but I suppose it is crowd management issue.
    Maybe they should do that with Spanish in Anaheim. Not that I speak Spanish, just thinking of the entertainment from reading the reactions on this and other Disney boards.

So many attractions in DLP have English names, that it's almost weird when one is in French; some things don't translate well perhaps?

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    It would be kinda cool if they could get like one of those headphone translators that many shows in DLR use!
    Before visiting DLP in 2005, I emailed the resort to ask about these headphones. I received a reply stating to stop at Guest Relations and I could get some, which would allow me to hear all the attractions in English.

When I arrived and went to Guest Relations, I'm guessing the CM was offended or something because he wouldn't give me the headphones...he just said, "All the rides are perfectly understandable," and walked away.

I still had a great time, although the time difference messed me up and I hadn't slept at all for 3 days, so I guess I didn't get the most out of that trip . I will definitely be going back and seeing DLP and Paris the right way...with plenty of rest and preparation!
    "When entering the theater, please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic." -Sam Eagle

"I may have invented these bifocals I'm wearing, but I can assure you they're not rose-colored" -Ben Franklin, The American Adventure

• Banned User

And more griping of Space Mountain.
    And TDR_Fan, have you been? Because just by your statement, it sounds you haven't.

As a matter of reference, I have been on both more than 20+ times, and I so totally prefer the new one. It has it's old charm, and a lot of the effects are much cooler (and the soundtrack fits the ride that is now, so with the upgrades, the old soundtrack would not fit).

Anyways
    Yes, EuroDisneyland (again, I hate calling it DLPR) has some attractions in different langs. ..like, when Timekeeper was there, they had a headset you'd wear and you could change the language that fits you best - most of my trips have been pretty good as MOST of the CMs do know English, but don't expect it to be 100% easy street...remember, you are in a foreign country and if you're not used to it, then 9 times out of 10 you will have some sort of language barrier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast