Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: Ideas for New Attractions

[quote=Gutted;1894209]Here's a thing for ya: I have seen song of the south.

The black people are simply living among the white people. They are no servants, and certainly not slaves!
    quote]

Ive seen it too and don't remember it that way. Anyway, slaves or not, the black characters could easily be described as characatured (at least in PC-gone mad America). I personally have no objections to the film and if nothing else it shows racial attitudes of both the time the film is set and when it was made.

And yes, Brer Rabbit and friends have had a thriving comic book career since the film was released. Many of the European stories found their way into the American Walt Disney Comics and Stories. They also if I remember sometimes also feature the Big Bad Wolf, the Three Little Pigs and Little Bad Wolf - perhaps these characters could also be incorporated into SM?

Quick quiz - in the comics, BB Wolf was given a name. What is it?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Are there any regular ugly exterior coasters in any of the Disney parks? I can only really think of Primeveal Swirl and Goofy's Branstormer.
    Mulholland Madness at California Adventure is plain and ugly, as is Primeval Whirl (though it is slightly better themed). I can forgive kiddie coasters like Gadget's Go Coaster or Goofy's Barnstormer since they're small scale and don't ruin the skyline or look out of place. They kind of fit the theme of the land they're in and look much nicer than Mulholland Madness and Primeval Whirl.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

The difference with BIg Thunder and Indy is there's a reason for the track to be there, in both cases it's a mine train track. With Space Mountain, you're launched up a track (which does make sense if a spacecraft was being launched up a cannon) and then you don't see the track. I'm alright with kiddie ones though they can seem a bit six flags in theming and design. Casey Jr. is alright I just wish it had dumbo theming as you go round and story book land was kept to the boats. I don't reckon it would be too difficult to move Casey to Toon Studio (Thorpe Park managed to take apart and relocate a coaster of the same type) and they can flaunt it as a new coaster while offering something for kids and maybe spreading the crowds a little.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    It basically means that the cars are underneath the track. Here's a picture of a suspended coaster and an inverted coaster (basically the same thing except for the design of the cars):

Suspended coaster

Inverted coaster
    Thank you, for your explanation. TDR_Fan
    At the OKTOBERFEST we have one of these coasters too and it is very popular. But I've never been on it. I don't like this kind of coasters.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutted View Post
    Here's a thing for ya: I have seen song of the south.

The black people are simply living among the white people. They are no servants, and certainly not slaves!

Splash Mountain needs Song of the south.
    I saw it. Just because you didn't pay attention doesn't mean they weren't slaves. I had to pee when Mufasa died, but I still accept the notion that he did as opposed to making up a story that he ran away from the Pride Lands singing Born Free.

They were slaves, period. And their portrayal is controversial.

But yes, Splash Mountain needs Br'er Rabbit.

• is satisfactual.

Mulholland Madness at California Adventure is plain and ugly, as is Primeval Whirl (though it is slightly better themed). I can forgive kiddie coasters like Gadget's Go Coaster or Goofy's Barnstormer since they're small scale and don't ruin the skyline or look out of place. They kind of fit the theme of the land they're in and look much nicer than Mulholland Madness and Primeval Whirl.
    You're going to kill me for this, but Tokyo DisneySea has one as well. The Little Mermaid one with all the seaweed.

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Quick quiz - in the comics, BB Wolf was given a name. What is it?
    Zeke?

Brer Rabbit & co. are also widely known in Finland.. thanks to Donald Duck magazine (which has circulation of 1/16th of population and is biggest magazine here!!)

• Lordofthemightybeasts

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    With Space Mountain, you're launched up a track (which does make sense if a spacecraft was being launched up a cannon) and then you don't see the track.
    Oh, how I wish that was true...

• Pirate - G'har!

haha, okay if you use your imagination you won't be able to see the track. I never thought that was a hindrance on SM experience to be honest though, in fact I don't think the visibilitie's too bad at all. The classical soundtrack hid the track...oh well (I'm actually a fan of M2, please don't kill me). Regarding Splash, I just think it would be good to do something different putting a spin on a hugely popular attraction just like most of the others. I mean I'm not saying it has to be Pocahontas I'm just a fan of the movie and think it has great visual ride potential. I like the banditos idea also, just something different.

• Senior Minion

[quote=Zarniwoop;1896476]Zeke?

quote]

No prize but well done - an obscure Disney trivia nugget

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Ideas for New Attractions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TDR_Fan

You're going to kill me for this, but Tokyo DisneySea has one as well. The Little Mermaid one with all the seaweed.

As does the new Crush Coaster in DLP

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster doesn't bother me so much since it's another kiddie coaster like Gadget's Go Coaster. I don't like it, but at least it's not visible from anywhere but the small area it occupies. I really like how they hid the coaster track by surrounding the area with lush foliage and rock formations, with waterfalls flowing down into the pond.

~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

Quote Originally Posted by EvilQueen View Post
    [/size]

As does the new Crush Coaster in DLP
    Crush's Coaster is in a soundstage, you can't see the track at all and I certainly don't think the soundtsage ruins the skyline. Soundstages are the skyline lol. I definitely think that Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster is the best of the kiddie coaster for placing and theme but that doesn't mean I like it. The Casey Jr (Paris) coaster (or electrically powered train on coaster-style track) has always frustrated me going through storybook land with no dumbo or circus connections (move it to Toon Studio!!!) but I think it's the most subtle/elegant of the kiddie coasters.

• is satisfactual.

Flounder's Flying Fish Coaster doesn't bother me so much since it's another kiddie coaster like Gadget's Go Coaster. I don't like it, but at least it's not visible from anywhere but the small area it occupies. I really like how they hid the coaster track by surrounding the area with lush foliage and rock formations, with waterfalls flowing down into the pond.

Sure, they did a great job. I always like the way they choose foliage that looks, for instance, like seaweed. Goes to show the importance of horticulturists in the Imagineering spectrum. Still, it's hard to forget you're looking at a coaster.

• Pirate - G'har!

I have a disney coaster conclusion (for me anyway). If you can see the track and don't know why it's there then it's out of place. BTM's track is for a mine train, that's why it's there. Even Mullholland Madness/Primeval Whirl are meant to be carnival attractions, that's why the track's there. Flounder's Flying Fish? A roller coaster surrounded by rocks and seaweed. Why is the track there? Casey Jr? Alright it's a train on a track but why doesn't it look like train track like BTM or even Indy (coaster Casey Jr that is)? And why does it go through storybook land? Indoor coasters where you don't (or at least aren't supposed to) see the track don't count I guess.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast