Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: Indiana Jones and the Hope of Improvement

I couldn't have put it better myself

Well and for me it just feels beneath Disney standards. I don't liek the idea--and yeah I'm a bit of a purist--of such a (by Disney standards) un-themed, and obvious roller coaster put right there like that. I could prob eaccept it if it were at a Disney, NON Magic Kingdom park but...

I love Universal's Islands of Adventure but the Hulk coaster and the Dragons ones and their lack of theming always irk me and I kinda expect more from Disney. But maybe Europeans don't have this preconception

E

• Pirate - G'har!

I think the coaster's phenomenally themed. I think people get mixed up with what theming is. If you can name me one thing that lets the theme of Inndiana Jones (a twisted mine cart track exploring an ancient temple) slip please tell me. Yes, there's no backstory but it's fantastically and beautifully themed with an overgrown, authentic-looking temple, flaming torches and palm trees. Backstory is something different entirely to theming

• Senior Minion

I'm with you on that one Fizzy. The ride doesn't need too much doing to it to improve it greatly. Just a few AAs and a pre-ride film.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

One idea I had was on either the lift hill or the straight section of track (or both!) a crate/scaffolding that suddenly nearly drops onto the track but stops at the last minute and returns back for the next train. Little stuff like that, a tunnel and a pre-show and bam, you have a ride I know I at least would love (and also would be a great, cheap alternative to square 1)

• Geoff London

This ride was a last minute fill in just like Alice's Curious Labyrinth. Instead of spending some real money Eisner moved cautiously. That's why the Studios are such a mess. Now a real mine ride would have been more like it. You get in the cart and off you go just like Indy and the woman and the kid did in the film - AT SPEED! And just when are they going to get rid of that stupid bucket ferris wheel that is gathering dust? This park is good but it could be just that bit greater! And when are we going to see a Dinosaur / Indy Jones ride like those at AK and DL? However, DLRP still has the best Thunder Mesa railroad and the Phantom Manor. And POTC is pretty darn good even without Johnny Depp.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Pirate - G'har!

I think the park is more than good. I think Alton Towers is good, I think DLP is brilliant, fantastic, but could be perfect, and with not too much doing either

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    This ride was a last minute fill in just like Alice's Curious Labyrinth. Instead of spending some real money Eisner moved cautiously. That's why the Studios are such a mess. Now a real mine ride would have been more like it. You get in the cart and off you go just like Indy and the woman and the kid did in the film - AT SPEED! And just when are they going to get rid of that stupid bucket ferris wheel that is gathering dust? This park is good but it could be just that bit greater! And when are we going to see a Dinosaur / Indy Jones ride like those at AK and DL? However, DLRP still has the best Thunder Mesa railroad and the Phantom Manor. And POTC is pretty darn good even without Johnny Depp.
    Ummmm the Labrynth was never a filler, it was always in the masterplan as an attempt to Europeanise the park!

Also, there were plans for an EMV attraction like the Jungle Cruise for next to Indy. Watch this space, I have recently seen Imagineers in AL with blueprints!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I think the park is more than good. I think Alton Towers is good, I think DLP is brilliant, fantastic, but could be perfect, and with not too much doing either

Hmmm - yep. Negotiate with the politicians to have more fireworks, clean better (especially toilets and bins), bring back the marching band, barbershop quartet, Star Wars Walk arounds, fix the flames in the Discoveryland Fountain, return Space Mountain to it's original state, have Fantillusion on year round, and add Splash & an EMV attraction. Then get the guests to behave, return the stores to sticking to their themes with unique merchandise, get the cast members to speed up.

Once that's done, we would have a perfect DLP!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Pirate - G'har!

DLRP does not need Splash or EMV to be perfect. They would only add to the perfect package. I don't go and think 'It needs Splash otherwise it's not there'. Also the marching band is back, Wishes imo is spectacular and so is SM I just miss the soundtrack

• Senior Minion

It seems a shame that the money used on that ferris wheel thing in FL that never worked out, could have been better spent on Indy.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Amen

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Ummmm the Labrynth was never a filler, it was always in the masterplan as an attempt to Europeanise the park!

Also, there were plans for an EMV attraction like the Jungle Cruise for next to Indy. Watch this space, I have recently seen Imagineers in AL with blueprints!
    Well I see it as a filler. That's space that could be far better used. I thought they didn't go for Splash and Jungle Cruise because of freezing problems in winter. They do have trouble with the molly Brown on real cold days. All I would say is the park is a darn sight better than it was back in 95. We witnessed CMs saying - OH! You don't want to do that. And the performances in the Christmas parade were dismal. Someone has kicked butt (or cou as the French would say!) At least now CMs DO speak more than one language and they actually smile. It's a pretty little park but French Bankers don't quite have the "Je ne sais quois" to keep it totally Disneyfied. Sanitation isn't always Disney standards though - that still needs improvement!

And to think this started as a How to improve Indy Jones ride.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Pirate - G'har!

hehe threads never stay on topic! I think also Jungle Cruise was turned down because of the skippers being the main life of the attraction and the language difficulties created therein. Useless trivia. Love it.

(right, I'm off to DLRP )
    Last edited by fizzog; 07-19-2007 at 09:51 PM.

• Sock Puppet

I appear to be in the minority here, but I've always liked Indy. True it doesn't really live up to the potential of the franchise, but it offers some nice thrills and is greatly themed. And I love that you can see the temple's upper ruins rise above the jungle vegetation somewhere in the distance from several places in Adventureland. Great cinematic build up.

To improve it though, how about pulling a "crush's coaster"? Like in adding a dark ride section right after the boarding station, and making the actual coaster part the finale? There is room for a show building between the ride and the Explorer's Club, leaving the space on the other side, earmarked for the EMV ride, available.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast