Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: Shouldn't Disneyland Paris become more European!?

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I think Disneyland Paris could use some color, and Toontown would do just that. It would certainly add flair and excitment, and I don't think those kiddie rides would affect the overall look of the park too much since they would still be themed.
    I believe the Imagineers understood that as well, which is why the newer additions to WDSP are colorful and more Disney-like in details and theme. If this trend continues, we'll be rewarded with a nice WDSP experience.. but lots of work must still be accomplish there.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

If you want to meet specific European characters go visit World Showcase.People go to Disneyland Resort Paris for a top notch theme park experience and the end of the day its roots are American and not European so people should accept that and not try and change things,due to them not being polictly correct.

Look at the Tokyo Disney Resort when it first open its attendance while ok, wasn't great either and it only started to get the figures it now gets when it stop trying to be a Japanese park and tried to be more American.

• Senior Minion

I don't think any of us are talking about 'specific European Characters' (Feathery Duck springs to mind), but instead to put more emphasis on the Disney characters who are maybe more popular in Europe than in the US (Scrooge et al).
    I think that a Duckburg area (NOT Toontown) could be quite classy - a slightly charicatured version of Main Street and Town Square centred around Scrooge's money bin (although I realise that a large block with a dollar sign on the front is hardly pleasing to the eye) and including lots of little details.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I don't think any of us are talking about 'specific European Characters' (Feathery Duck springs to mind), but instead to put more emphasis on the Disney characters who are maybe more popular in Europe than in the US (Scrooge et al).
    I think that a Duckburg area (NOT Toontown) could be quite classy - a slightly charicatured version of Main Street and Town Square centred around Scrooge's money bin (although I realise that a large block with a dollar sign on the front is hardly pleasing to the eye) and including lots of little details.
    The one from DuckTales wasn't too bad, haha.

Although that dollar sign would be a bit much. And a euro sign would be even worse.

Nope, never going to happen, haha.

• Senior Minion

Prrrraps not but neither are most of the things discussed on this site!

I was disturbed to see the dollar sign replaced by the euro sign on the DLP Scrooge merchandise - is it only me that finds this patronising? It's nearly as bad as the badly-drawn pound sign that used to appear in the British comics - defacing Carl Barks and Don Rosa! Whatever next?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Hola Yola!

I think the OP makes a decent point which a lot of people seem to be ignoring. He's not saying make the park more European/French in a general sense, just saying that more attention should be paid to the Disney properties that are popular in Europe and France.

To be honest, I've also wondered why such a big deal is made of Stitch (isn't he also now one of the focuses of the Halloween overlay in addition to the show at WDS?) when the film was one of Disney's least successful in Europe. Similarly, it's pretty widely known that Cars underperformed outside of the US yet a huge deal is being made of the new Cars attraction and the entire front of Soundstage 1 is adorned with a giant Cars billboard. On the other hand, the hugely successful comic book characters are virtually ignored. As it is, all the decisions seem to be made in relation to what would go down well in the US.

• Disneyland Paris Fan

I have often wondered myself why Disney would not do more with the characters and places from the comic books. Which indeed are still wildly popular in the Netherlands (and a lot of other European countries). Why indeed not make a stylish version of Duckburg (is this the English name for it??). This would really appeal to the European crowds.

One other thing; in regards to Splash Moutain you hear a lot that the theming of 'Songs of the south' would not appeal tot Europeans. But as said by the OP, at least in the Netherlands, Brer Rabbit (and his friends) is a very popular character. I personally think that a Splash Mountain with these characters could work very well in DLP.

• Coming soon...

/\ I doubt Duckburg would appeal very much to a lot of Europeans, especially younger kids, who may never have seen or heard of it. I for one only just about understand what you're talking about!

Relating to splash mountain, people don't need to know the characters to enjoy the ride. Splash is a good immersive ride, and regardless of characters, would be loved over here. In fact, as far as I'm aware, Song of the South was popular over here. My mum was brought up in the UK with the stories of Brer Rabbit! Also, unlike in the US, the SOTS was released on video/DVD, and not deemed offensive.

• Pirate - G'har!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    /\ I for one only just about understand what you're talking about!
    Me too, Duckburg is as far as I'm aware unheard of in the Uk (not that I'm saying only things popular in the UK should be built)

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I was disturbed to see the dollar sign replaced by the euro sign on the DLP Scrooge merchandise - is it only me that finds this patronising? It's nearly as bad as the badly-drawn pound sign that used to appear in the British comics - defacing Carl Barks and Don Rosa! Whatever next?!
    I'm ashamed to be geeky enough to know this, but in the American versions of some of those comics there is a Scottish character called Flintheart Glomgold whose money bin features a pound sign. I always thought that was cute. But I suppose you're talking about UK-ified comics where they replaced $s with £s.

/\ I doubt Duckburg would appeal very much to a lot of Europeans, especially younger kids, who may never have seen or heard of it. I for one only just about understand what you're talking about!
    From what I understand, the comics are incredibly popular in all the Mentos countries, as well as France and Italy. So, most of continental Western Europe. I'd say that warrants a reference or two.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I'm ashamed to be geeky enough to know this, but in the American versions of some of those comics there is a Scottish character called Flintheart Glomgold whose money bin features a pound sign. I always thought that was cute. But I suppose you're talking about UK-ified comics where they replaced $s with £s.

Correct. And if knowing Flintheart Glomgold's money bin has a pound sign on it is geeky - call me King Geek!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

I think the best place for comic references/meet n greets or whatever is Toon Studio. That's what it's for, it's the Toon Town of Paris apres all

• Banned User

I think that is why they started it out as Euro Disney Resort; so it would appeal to all Europe. But a lot of people in European countries don't like Euro-ization; especially the French. To Americans, "Euro" has a different meaning than it does to Italians or French or German. Euro and Disney are two cultural invasions, if you will, that a lot of people didn't take to very easily. I think this was why Disney changed it to associate it with something more specific and cultural. Hence the Disneyland Paris name changes. If that makes it anymore European or French is beyond me.

But calling Disneyland Paris "Euro Disney" is like calling Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland "Asia Disney." Don't ya think?
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 07-04-2007 at 10:46 PM.

• Pirate - G'har!

Haha, very good analogy.

• Disneyland Paris Fan

In the Netherlands (and according to the OP in a lot of other EU countries also) we have a weekly comic magazine called Donald Duck. In this magazine the main story is always placed in a town called 'Duckstad' (or Ducktown or Duckcity). In this fictional town Donald and his nephews, Scrooge, Daisy and a lot of other Disney characters all have a their home. It it also the home of Scrooge's money bin.
    It looks a lot like ToonTown, but in the Netherlands, Donald is the main character and inhibitant of this town.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast