Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Hola Yola!

Re: Shouldn't Disneyland Paris become more European!?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    I think that is why they started it out as Euro Disney Resort; so it would appeal to all Europe. But a lot of people in European countries don't like Euro-ization; especially the French. To Americans, "Euro" has a different meaning than it does to Italians or French or German. Euro and Disney are two cultural invasions, if you will, that a lot of people didn't take to very easily. I think this was why Disney changed it to associate it with something more specific and cultural. Hence the Disneyland Paris name changes. If that makes it anymore European or French is beyond me.

But calling Disneyland Paris "Euro Disney" is like calling Tokyo Disneyland or Hong Kong Disneyland "Asia Disney." Don't ya think?
    Interestingly enough, I caught the Spanish news from TVE the other day as they broadcast it in the mornings here and when they had a story about the girl who died on Rock'n'Roller Coaster they said 'Euro Disney' and not Disneyland Paris.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
    In the Netherlands (and according to the OP in a lot of other EU countries also) we have a weekly comic magazine called Donald Duck. In this magazine the main story is always placed in a town called 'Duckstad' (or Ducktown or Duckcity). In this fictional town Donald and his nephews, Scrooge, Daisy and a lot of other Disney characters all have a their home. It it also the home of Scrooge's money bin.
    It looks a lot like ToonTown, but in the Netherlands, Donald is the main character and inhibitant of this town.
    In GB and USA the place you refer to is Duckburg as created by Carl Barks in the comics of the 1940s onwards and seen in the TV show DuckTales. This is inhabited by all of the ducks as well as the Beagle Boys and various 'dog faced' extras. Mouston is where Mickey, Goofy, Pete, Clarabelle etc live.
    Perhaps we could build a second European Disney park in the Netherlands called Duckstad - using all of the ideas and suggestions listed above? Would make a nice change.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Coming soon...

The problem is that that would isolate a large proportion British people. Even if you don't like the films, pretty much everyone knows Nemo, and has a basic understanding of Cars, hence the attractions. Building a Duckburg (?) park would be a financial disaster more so than WDS! First of all, adults without children probably wouldn't visit (minus hardcore disney fans), and teenagers wouldn't leap at the chance to go to Donald Duck park. Any park that revolves solely on one set of characters (Asterix is an exception, as the park he's in is not just about the comics, but also Gallic history) would most likely fail miserably.

Universallly known themes such as animals, the world, movies etc. work as they don't isolate any groups. I for one, would not visit a Duckburg park, it'd be a waste of money.

• Senior Minion

You obviously under-estimate the characters' popularity within certain European countries. I think that such a park would work well in somewhere like the Netherlands where comics are not just for kids and the Disney ducks rival the likes of The Simpsons for over-all appeal and fan support.
    But why not wait and see if there are comments from any of our European neighbours...
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Membre

I don't want DLRP to become more european, after all its theme is based on american culture. I was happy when they brought back the US flags on Main Street USA buildings.

• Hitchhiker

Donald Duck is best known in Finland too. Mickey is just playing a supporting part.

• Disneyland Paris Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    I don't want DLRP to become more european, after all its theme is based on american culture. I was happy when they brought back the US flags on Main Street USA buildings.
    Duckburg is also part of the great Disney-history! For me it would not have to be an entire park about Duckburg, but to have a land like Toontown at DLP, with a little bit more emphasis on Duckburg and it's inhabitants, would be nice! And for me personally, it would not be a great problem if they mixed Duckburg feautures with the homes of Mickey, Minie, Pluto and Goofy!

I personally think that in a large part of Europe, this would appeal to a lot of people.

But since we have a ToonStudio at WDS, it will probably not happen. But they could always add a Duckburg-part to ToonStudio!

Btw: Nathan Detroit is right to say that Donald Duck and his own comic-book not only appeals tot children in the Netherlands. A lot of adults still have a subscription to it!

On last thing; just google 'Duckburg' and you will see that it still has a lot of fans.

• Coming soon...

But still, in the UK they are not popular at all. Keep in mind that the UK is 2nd/3rd biggest nationality that visits DLRP.

• Hola Yola!

To be honest I just don't see Duckburg fitting in to WDS for some reason. The whole Duckburg/Scrooge/ducks universe does not really have a strong connection to the movies and would, IMO, fit better into Disneyland. I think they could add a tastefully-done Duckburg ajoining Fantasyland without it jarring too much; there's no reason it would have to have the over-the-top architecture of Toontown or Toon Studios.

Even if the comics are not as popular in the UK as in continental Europe, presumably people still know who Scrooge, Donald and Huey, Dewey and Louie are and Duckburg is easily marketable as a place where these characters live. Furthermore, I'd be surprised if the concept of Duckburg is as unknown in Britain as you're saying considering that they don't even bother to print the comics in Australia anymore and virtually everyone of at least my age up (25) knows of that whole universe if not through the comics then through DuckTales.

All of that said, I'm not sure that they need to go all out and built a whole land. Why not, for example, build a McDuck mansion in Fantasyland and have a 21st century version of Mr Toad's Wild Ride darkride through duckburg, dodging the Beagle Boys and Magica DeSpell, saving whatever treasure and finally delivering it to the money bin where Scrooge is waiting, for example. It would be a relatively cheap and simple addition to the park that could even be promoted through these millions of comic books that sell weekly throughout Europe. Relatively little touches like that would show a greater attention being paid to the European market.

• Senior Minion

Sir C makes good points and I do think that Duckburg is better suited as an off-shoot/part of Fantasyland much like Toon Town fair in WDW.
    I genuinely love the whole Duckburg concept and characters and believe that something like this would allow DLP to be more European-focused without straying away from the original concept of the Disney parks- after all, Duckburg is an American city! My concern would be that it may be too close in theme to Main Street.
    And to state, as someone has, that Donald and co are not of interest in some countries is ridiculous. As is the notion that the characters only appeal to children. George Lucas admits that Scrooge's adventures were part of his inspiration behind Indy... hey! there's an idea - replace Temple of Peril with a Scrooge themed jungle adventure!
    Then again maybe not!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

A Donald Duck attraction where he's making a movie (and having director tantrums Donald-style) could both fit into Toon Studio and incorporate the Duckburg characters perfectly. I think Donald deserves his own (non-3d cinema) ride. This would still appeal to regular guests as well

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    George Lucas admits that Scrooge's adventures were part of his inspiration behind Indy... hey! there's an idea - replace Temple of Peril with a Scrooge themed jungle adventure!
    Then again maybe not!
    That's interesting, especially considering how Disney obviously took an example from Indy when creating DuckTales (the logo, even).

And I would love a Scrooge-themed adventure ride. Call me immature, but I'd love that.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    But still, in the UK they are not popular at all. Keep in mind that the UK is 2nd/3rd biggest nationality that visits DLRP.
    Second. But all in all, about 20% of DLRP guests are British, with almost 80% being continental. That's a lot of people from Donald Duck-centric countries.

• Pirate - G'har!

I'm not against Donald Duck (as my attraction idea implies) I just hate the idea of any kind of miniland

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Second. But all in all, about 20% of DLRP guests are British, with almost 80% being continental. That's a lot of people from Donald Duck-centric countries.
    Either way, DLRP can't risk to lose 20% of it's audience just to build a duck land.

Anyway, this is all a bit off topic, as Duckburg has nothing to do with real European culture, only popular American things in Europe.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast