Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• is satisfactual.

Re: Shouldn't Disneyland Paris become more European!?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Either way, DLRP can't risk to lose 20% of it's audience just to build a duck land.

Anyway, this is all a bit off topic, as Duckburg has nothing to do with real European culture, only popular American things in Europe.
    I think your reasoning is flawed and more than slightly smug. We're talking about a Duckburg-themed area/land/ride, not something that takes the piss out of the British. The people of the British Isles will not abandon DLRP because it built a ride based on characters they may only be superficially familiar with.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I think your reasoning is flawed and more than slightly smug. We're talking about a Duckburg-themed area/land/ride, not something that takes the piss out of the British. The people of the British Isles will not abandon DLRP because it built a ride based on characters they may only be superficially familiar with.
    You tell 'em Puss!

You are right though. Even if something is little heard of, it doesn't mean that people will ignore it. If that was the case, Scrooge would not have any merchandising in the DLP shops. I've even seen him walking down Main Street (accompanied by Baloo strangely ).
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Santa Barbara, CA

DLRP Magic Kingdom IS successful now. It may not be profitible, but it is very well attended and gets repeat visitation. If the per capita spending for guests was the same as TDL, the place would be in the black every year. the trick isn't just getting more guests to show up, it's making more money on each guest. Making it more European is a dumb idea. You don't go there for that. The City of Paris is a better European experience than anything Disney can do with Vernian rides. Visionarium was as European and Vernian as it gets and it's dead and gone. Subtle changes with characters, etc, fine, that's common sense but adjust the direction and pander to it, non.

If that was true, why not make the France pavilion at EPCOT more American?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Hola Yola!

The OP is saying it should focus more on DISNEY characters popular in Europe.
    Don't mean to be harsh, but don't understand why this isn't evident from the first post.

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I'm sorry that you thought it sounded as though I thought that way. However, let me put a few things to you:

1. Making Duckburg land may be sensible enough. I'm not actually disagreeing with the concept behind it. BUT, financially it would not be benefitting. Why spend money on this land, when you could make a more financially pleasing toontown featuring Donald, Mickey, Goofy etc, not just Donald + ducks?

2. Also, we here at micechat are ALL Disney fans. That's why we signed up. The reason I'm highly doubtful of Duckburg's importance in Europe, is that you'd expect a Disney fan to over exagerrate the effect of Duckburg on Europe. Clearly the Dutch love Duckburg, as we've heard from many of them. But what about Spain, or France, or Germany, or Portugal, or Ireland...

...The Dutch aren't a very high % of DLRP visitors.

3. Ignoring Duckburg popularity issues or financial issues, would you want Duckburg from a creative side.

Wouldn't this land/park just be like the poorly received Toontown, but with less popular characters?

IMO, I'd rather have Toontown wiht Mickey, Donald etc. with maybe 1 ride based on Donald duck. Just skip over the Duckburg city, and include Scrooge and Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Agreed. Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland's Toontowns are much prettier than Magic Kingdom's version.
    The Magic Kingdom's Toontown is call a state fair, but it started life as a temporary land called Mickey's Birthdayland.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Orville View Post
    DLRP Magic Kingdom IS successful now. It may not be profitible, but it is very well attended and gets repeat visitation. If the per capita spending for guests was the same as TDL, the place would be in the black every year. the trick isn't just getting more guests to show up, it's making more money on each guest. Making it more European is a dumb idea. You don't go there for that. The City of Paris is a better European experience than anything Disney can do with Vernian rides. Visionarium was as European and Vernian as it gets and it's dead and gone. Subtle changes with characters, etc, fine, that's common sense but adjust the direction and pander to it, non.

If that was true, why not make the France pavilion at EPCOT more American?
    Not more European, just -- as Scorchio ironically said with a different agenda -- the American things the Europeans want to see. And no one is calling for an overhaul of DLP to turn it into Euro Duckburg. It's just that at the moment, that side of the Disney spectrum is almost entirely ignored. The closest thing there is in any Disney park is Scrooge's department store in Tokyo DisneySea. Well, and the MK had that statue of Cornelius Coot, but it's gone now, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    I'm sorry that you thought it sounded as though I thought that way. However, let me put a few things to you:

1. Making Duckburg land may be sensible enough. I'm not actually disagreeing with the concept behind it. BUT, financially it would not be benefitting. Why spend money on this land, when you could make a more financially pleasing toontown featuring Donald, Mickey, Goofy etc, not just Donald + ducks?

2. Also, we here at micechat are ALL Disney fans. That's why we signed up. The reason I'm highly doubtful of Duckburg's importance in Europe, is that you'd expect a Disney fan to over exagerrate the effect of Duckburg on Europe. Clearly the Dutch love Duckburg, as we've heard from many of them. But what about Spain, or France, or Germany, or Portugal, or Ireland...

...The Dutch aren't a very high % of DLRP visitors.

3. Ignoring Duckburg popularity issues or financial issues, would you want Duckburg from a creative side.

Wouldn't this land/park just be like the poorly received Toontown, but with less popular characters?

IMO, I'd rather have Toontown wiht Mickey, Donald etc. with maybe 1 ride based on Donald duck. Just skip over the Duckburg city, and include Scrooge and Donald.
    About 10% of DLRP guests are Dutch; 20% are British. It's not like 2% are Dutch and 89% are British. But add to that the rest of continental Europe and you've got close to a sturdy 80%. I don't have any links or statistics to back me up here, but I do know for a fact that the Disney comic book world is quite popular in Germany and all of Scandinavia. In Italy, I believe a popular periodical exists by the name of "Topolino" (Mickey Mouse). It features the same comics.

I would gladly discuss this further, but I am highly intoxicated. I shall continue this when I am only slightly intoxicated, haha.

• Geoff London

European as in dictated to by Brussels?
    European as in if it is not in French then its not Disneyland Paris?
    European as in let's have shows in three languages all at once and confuse everybody.
    European as in English shall be the main language in parade songs.
    European as in all shows will be presented in French (unless its Lion King) but the rest of you can make do with broken headphones.
    Shall I go on?

This park was never reall thought through. It's a mish mash which is a real shame because architecturally is one of the most beautiful. I doubt it could ever have a "European" flavour because all our cultures are so vastly different. When I go I try to enjoy all the different tongues that I encounter - at the end of the day Dumbo doesn't need a language. Neither does a smile. If there is one major error with DLRP is that it is completely the wrong country but, hey, sugar beet fields are cheap! What was wrong in going further south to a warmer and more stable climate? From the start the park was never totally Disney managed because of the billions poured in by European bankers and Eiger's break neck desire to expand into the European continent. It must come as a real shock to Americans that characters even have different names. I'm sorry but Goofy is Goofy. Dingu just doesn't do him justice. You'll never Europeanise this place. Its to inter continental. Just go with the flow and you'll find it far more enjoyable. And just to counteract the comment about the Twighlight Zone - it was a hugely popular TV programme in the UK - the ToT is sadly needed to liven up the poor relation WD Studios.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Pirate - G'har!

I disagree with you on the park not being thought through. I feel the very few attractions that require different languages (Honey I Shrunk for example) are the less popular, not as good attractions. Not only do I think they handle the language issues well, but I feel it gives the park a certain charm (and European flavour) that I love and I think works very well. As to the location, warmer weather year-round would be nice, but I think the France suits Disney well, more so than Spain (and at least it's real snow at Christmas...). Don't get me wrong, I'm not just being overly optimistic, rain sucks, but I think Paris is far more suited to Disney. There are very few attractions that require any kind of understanding of French

• Minion

Wouldn't Italy have worked very well also? At least it's warmer there. I think Michael Eisner's insistance on the location in Paris is what caused the entire resort to go into bankruptcy.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

Yeah I think Italiy would have been nice but at the end of the day, it wasn't built in Italy, or Spain. Fact is, Disneyland Resort Paris is in...well, Paris, and that's not gonna change so we might as well look at it for what it is, a place where, I at least, have an incredible amount of fun and want to to go to again and again even if I complain on these forums.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Yeah I think Italiy would have been nice but at the end of the day, it wasn't built in Italy, or Spain. Fact is, Disneyland Resort Paris is in...well, Paris, and that's not gonna change so we might as well look at it for what it is, a place where, I at least, have an incredible amount of fun and want to to go to again and again even if I complain on these forums.
    The same can be said for all the Disney resorts. No matter how many criticisms we have, we'll always have fun regardless. Speaking of, I'm going to return to Disneyland Resort Paris in a few months after my trip to the Tokyo Disney Resort on July 17th.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

Have a good time, (it's hard not at least have a moderately good time at any Disney resort methinks). Hehe, just thought I'd point out, one of my friends said 'Ooh, Venice' when looking at your picture and I said no, Tokyo DisneySea

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    And just to counteract the comment about the Twighlight Zone - it was a hugely popular TV programme in the UK - the ToT is sadly needed to liven up the poor relation WD Studios.
    This comment seems to counteract the arguements about all things in the park needing to appeal to all nationalities... (adopt sarcastic typing skills)"ooh! Duckburg's no good - 20% of the DLP visitors are English. And they've never heard of the Disney Ducks. But Twighlight Zone was popular there so that's alright then."

If all of the attractions were just based on 'popular' characters we would not have the likes of Phantom Manor and Space and Thunder Mountains. What sort of percentage of Europeans (or Americans for that matter) could be classed as Aerosmith fans? But we still have Rock n Roller Coaster (thank goodness!). And although its not the main focus of the Tram Tour - who the hell ever saw (or at least remembers) Dinotopia?!

Yes Disney 'Americanises' everything it touches but why not? All countries are guilty of such things. But with such a wealth of characters and a wide range of styles and themes running through the studio output, surely there's room to have each park have its own character without ever straying away from the original concept. I'm sure that if DL had been built in London, the park could have focused (even in a small way) on 101 Dalmations, Alice, Pooh and other British creations that have had the Disney touch. So why can't DLP turn a spotlight to Duckburg? Or The Aristocats (I am really surprised that they do not feature more heavily)? Or Hunchback? Or (coming soon) Ratatouille? I'd have thought that Tokyo would have a smattering of Mulan in there somewhere.

We will (and should) always have Main Street, Frontierland and Liberty Square, but the change of Tomorrowland in Discoveryland and to have it heavily influenced by Frenchman Jules Verne shows that the designers were on to this track from day one. All we are doing is suggesting that it goes that little bit further.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Amen, I fully endorse the introduction of these characters. The only thing I don't want, regardless of whether it's ducks or whatever is another land at Disneyland Park. I think another land could only ever be a land on the side as opposed to the huge, immersive, multi-themed-area lands at current. I say, Festival of Fools in stead of Pooh in Fantasyland. Duckburg characters/photopoints in Toon Studio, (or the Donald Duck/Duckburg director attraction I was talking about earlier). Let's not forget also, Disney is American. There's no escaping that. DLRP will always be, to a greater or lesser extent, American. I think making it more European is the wrong term, introducing popular things from Europe is.

btw Mulan is a Chinese not Japanese legend isn't it?

Hmm, was Pocahontas popular in Europe? That'd be a great excuse to built Poca-Splah Mountain...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast