Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Shouldn't Disneyland Paris become more European!?

Wouldn't Disneyland Paris be more succesfull if they did more to please the Europeans?
    Im not talking about European things like serving alcohol and not cleaning
    But things like building attractions, restaurants, shops and shows based on things popular in Europe.

For instance the Disney magazines and their legacy. It is ignored totally by DLP.
    They make it seem Mickey and Donald live in Toontown in stead of Duckburg.

Which might seem logical to Americans.. Where the comic magazines Walt Disney Comics & Stories and Uncle Scrooge have a circulation of only 3,000 to 5,000 issues per month.

But if we compare that to European publications like Dutch magazine Donald Duck. This magazine sells 336.000 copies weekly. They are read by 2.000.000 people. That means about 1/8 of the population reads it. This is not counting other popular Disneymagazines like Donald Duck Extra, Daisy Duck and others.

In Italy, fifty-five Disney periodicals are currently published, including the weekly Topolino (’Mickey Mouse’), which is in the top five of all publications in the country. First issued in 1932, Topolino maintains its market leadership with original comic stories that are produced locally. Summer specials sometimes drive sales to over one million copies per week. If you put that in perspective with the US, Topolino does better than Time Magazine or Sports Illustrated

In Germany,nearly one million kids read Micky Maus magazine every week, and a recent study has shown that approximately one-fifth of parents also enjoy reading along. Micky Maus has had a huge cultural and educational influence on German society in the last 55 years.

In the Scandinavian countries, Disney comics are in a league of their own. Norwegian Donald Duck & Co magazine, which has been published by Egmont since 1948, boasts 1.1 million readers 3 per issue in Norway’s total population of 4 million people. In Finland, weekly Aku Ankka (’Donald Duck’) has become the most popular periodical in Finland, and its comics are read by Finns of all ages.

Millions of Europeans read and love the comics. But in the Disneyresort there is not one thing that links to them.
    Popular comic characters like Brer Rabbit, Hiawatha, the Big Bad Wolf, Uncle Scrooge, Gladstone Gander and others, are never to be seen in DLP. Or when they are seen, they look nothing like they do in the comics.
    Big bad wolf in comics:
    http://www.donaldduck.nl/NR/rdonlyre.../0/steeman.jpg
    Big Bad Wolf in Disneyland: http://www.toonfinder.com/blog/wp-content/DSCN2238.jpg

Also it seems they dont look at what films are popular in Europe when building attractions or shows.
    Lilo and Stitch gets a show and an attraction in WDS, because it made $145,794,338 in the US. But it made only $44.073.259 in the 6 biggest DLP countries. (France, UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands)
    Lets compare that to Atlantis.
    Atlantis was considered a flop in the US, with $84,056,472. Yet in the European countries it made $49.033.898. Thats more than Lilo and Stitch. Brother Bear also was more succesfull than Lilo and Stich, not in the US, but in Europe with $74.849.949.

Yet those are not getting their own show or attraction. Not that I want those. But it seems more logical.

In France, Atlantis even made 22 million, while Cars made only 14 million.
    Although with $95.852.896 in the 6 biggest DLP countries together Cars was a succes. Not as big a succes as The Incredibles with $175.938.873 though.

In the US, cars and the incredibles both made about the same amount of money. But in Europe Cars made 80 million less than the Incredibles!
    But because Cars is popular in the US we get a Cars attraction.

Then there are the European Disneyfilms that get ignored totally.
    Like Amelie which made $75.274.244 in Europe.
    And Hitchhikers Guide to the galaxy that made $46.758.424.
    And ofcourse Narnia, which made $187.549.143 in Europe.
    Shouldnt these be at WDS?

In stead we get a tower based on a tv show that no one in Europe ever heard of

Ofcourse Im glad were getting the ToT. But it makes not all that much sense.
    Then why not also build an attraction based on Oliver and Co?!

And I know not every popular movie gets it's own ride (Lion King), but it's also never the case in American parks that impopular movies get rides.

Then there's the thing with bad translations everywhere.
    And I can only talk about Dutch in this case.
    But whenever there is Dutch being spoken at the resort. It is done by a heavilly accented person who says things like: "Inside(sic) ten minutes, the parade will start!"
    Would that be allowed if they said that in Anaheim that way?

Re: Shouldn't Disneyland Paris become more European!?

I've seen Oliver & CO...?

Well, I don't care much if the big bad wolf has green pants instead of blue or if Duckburg isn't mentioned.

I think most europeans would take what is offered and not think "Why is there no Incredible attraction? BURN DLP!"

• Coming soon...

Too right! It should be more European!

Bring on the Jules Verne themed attractions in Discoveryland!

• Pirate - G'har!

But it's also about how well-known the films are, not just box office intake. It'd probably be too late to build an Atlantis attraction now as it's shown it's lack of longevity, it's not remembered as a great disney film (not that Lilo & Stitch is but at least it only has a small, cute show). Same with Oliver and Co. It's about the general effect of the film over time.

Also it's about suitability for making into shows/attractions. Cars lends itself to a nice C-Ticket accompanying Crush whereas The Incredibles probably wouldn't (FInding Nemo was more succesful than both). As for the comics, what exactly do you mean by things that link to the comics? If you just mean characters then I agree it wouldn't be hard or hurt to add some characters famous in Europe. btw that big bad wolf picture isn't from Paris, there's a monorail track in the background for a start.

• Lordofthemightybeasts

One area that DLP should really be more European is food. Come on! It's located in what is arguably the culinary capital of the world and it's still serving American junk. This is alright in areas like Main Street and Frontierland, and I can understand the need for self service restaurants, but can't we have some decent service restaurants at a reasonable price?

• Pirate - G'har!

Totally agree! Food needs to be improved majorly. It's not that's it's really bad but it sure as heck aint good

• Senior Minion

Ohhhhh! Statistics overload!

I must admit that I do agree with the Comics connections in Europe (ironic then that the only regular Disney comics in GB are aimed at under 7s) and would welcome more emphasis on Mickey and co to reflect that.
    My last visit to WDW (sadly as long ago as 1990!) took me to Duckburg. I don't know the official name then but I think its Mickey's Toon Town Fair now. There you could see a statue of the founder of the town (Cornelius Coot), the main characters homes and even have a photo taken as part of the cover of a comic (I am hiding behind Donald with Huey Dewey and Louie on Carl Barks' cover of The Sheriff of Pizzen Bluff).
    All of this would go down a storm with the Italians, Norwegians, Germans etc. who are the world's largest consumers of Disney comics.
    How about a dark ride based inside Scrooge's money bin? Battle the Beagle Boys and Magica DeSpell! And more presence from characters such as Scrooge, Gladstone Gander, Pete, H, D & L.
    As I have said on another thread, BB Wolf, Three Pigs and Brers Rabbit and Fox are also huge comic book stars who would fit nicely into a more European DLP.
    This of course is all Pie in the Sky but one can dream!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

In an odd twist of fate, I agree with everyone.

When I was a child, I had this silly idea of a theme park based entirely on Duckburg and the Disney comic book world... Then again, I also wanted to live under the sea and invent a time machine based on the machinery of my parents' dryer (although I accidentally found a way to ruin my mother's delicates in the process). But in retrospect, that park wasn't such a bad idea. It could definitely work in Europe.

Also, I agree on the food issue. When it comes to DLP's cheap (relatively speaking) to moderately priced food, this is not the Paris of Remy the Rat.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 07-03-2007 at 12:45 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Too right! It should be more European!

Bring on the Jules Verne themed attractions in Discoveryland!
    I honestly don't see how much more european DLP can be.. first up, they went against Disney traditions and started selling alcohol in their DL park to please the european ways. Park is filthy like most european cities I have been to. CM's are hit or miss in regards to the "Disney Way" of behaviors, efficiency and guest interaction... and people are allowed to smoke virtually everywhere.. So I ask, how much more can DLP do to be more european? After all, Disney IS an American company after all.

• Pirate - G'har!

Aww, now I don't wanna go to DLRP at all! I don't like the idea of adding lands to Disneyland Park, especially a Toon Town-y type land. I think all the lands of a great degree of class and they're all pretty huge, I think a Toon-Town thing would just be tacky. However it wouldn't take much to just put a few of the more famous European characters in there

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Aww, now I don't wanna go to DLRP at all! I don't like the idea of adding lands to Disneyland Park, especially a Toon Town-y type land. I think all the lands of a great degree of class and they're all pretty huge, I think a Toon-Town thing would just be tacky. However it wouldn't take much to just put a few of the more famous European characters in there
    I don't think Toontown would look tacky at all. In my opinion, it's actually quite cute and would add charm and whimsy to the park. I think Toontown is just as detailed as the other lands, just in a different and more animated way.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

It's just the brightness and the off-the-shelf kiddie coasters that I think really wouldn't fit with the rest of DLP, especially since it would have to be tagged on the end. We also already have Toon Studio, part of the Toon Town family. (I just sound like an ASDA bag).

• Banned User

However it wouldn't take much to just put a few of the more famous European characters in there
    Sorry, but those are already doing meet and greet at Parc Asterix.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan
    I think Toontown is just as detailed as the other lands, just in a different and more animated way.
    In CA and Tokyo that is... WDW's version of Toontown (Fair) is simply horrible and cheap.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    In CA and Tokyo that is... WDW's version of Toontown (Fair) is simply horrible and cheap.
    Agreed. Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland's Toontowns are much prettier than Magic Kingdom's version.

• Minion

It's just the brightness and the off-the-shelf kiddie coasters that I think really wouldn't fit with the rest of DLP, especially since it would have to be tagged on the end. We also already have Toon Studio, part of the Toon Town family. (I just sound like an ASDA bag).
    I think Disneyland Paris could use some color, and Toontown would do just that. It would certainly add flair and excitment, and I don't think those kiddie rides would affect the overall look of the park too much since they would still be themed.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast