Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• is satisfactual.

Would you listen to this crap

So what exactly is a hotel doing on a studio lot (because that's still what it's all supposed to be, after all)? According to an esteemed member on the French "Disney Central Plaza" forums, Disney has come up with a backstory:

Not so long ago Disney Imagineers discovered a lost script from The Twilight Zone television series. The episode goes about a group of visitors that explore the ruins of a Hollywood hotel, abandoned after a horrible incident. After discovering what happened to the 5 remaining hotel guests, the visitors find themselves stuck... in the Twilight Zone!
    To shoot this lost episode, Imagineers recreated an exact copy of the hotel and are now casting the principal actors, namely... the visitors!

Some things never change, I guess. In other news, they've added a new kiosk to the Toon Studio. They're just waiting to cast YOU for the role of "customer #2"! Lights! Camera!...

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: Would you listen to this crap

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    So what exactly is a hotel doing on a studio lot (because that's still what it's all supposed to be, after all)? According to an esteemed member on the French "Disney Central Plaza" forums, Disney has come up with a backstory:

Not so long ago Disney Imagineers discovered a lost script from The Twilight Zone television series. The episode goes about a group of visitors that explore the ruins of a Hollywood hotel, abandoned after a horrible incident. After discovering what happened to the 5 remaining hotel guests, the visitors find themselves stuck... in the Twilight Zone! To shoot this lost episode, Imagineers recreated an exact copy of the hotel and are now casting the principal actors, namely... the visitors!

Some things never change, I guess. In other news, they've added a new kiosk to the Toon Studio. They're just waiting to cast YOU as "customer #2"! Lights! Camera!...
    This back story has been around for a while. I'm kind of ok with it. It feels like it thematically makes more sense than MGM's or DCA's. Although we know TDS has the most cohesive back story for their tower.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Hitchhiker

I've feared this since day 1. I hope it is plain rumour. If they want to make me a star they really need to add clamour to it!! And pay a huge salary.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    This back story has been around for a while. I'm kind of ok with it. It feels like it thematically makes more sense than MGM's or DCA's. Although we know TDS has the most cohesive back story for their tower.
    True. I still don't quite understand why the real Hollywood Tower Hotel is on a studio backlot in California Adventure, or why the real Sunset Boulevard is in Disney-MGM Studios (given that the whole park is also supposed to be a working studio with fake facades and movie sets). And yes, I agree that Tokyo DisneySea's version has by far the most elaborate backstory.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Pirate - G'har!

I think for this reason WDS is a more sensible park than MGM, in that it makes sense as pretending to be a working movie studio unlike MGM where I don't understand what it's meant to be exactly, (and echo lake confused me even more), but MGM is far more colourful. That ToT story works thematically and well no doubt, but it seems a bit, well, ridiculous. Building the entire hotel. And why would the lift take you to the twilight zone? It's a movie set not an abandoned hotel, but then this is the same gripe I have with The Mummy ride at Universal. Still, I'd probably rather have that story than them mess with the theme of the place, I only wish they use this backstory somewhere in the queue/ride experience to differentiate it from California.

LIGHTS , CAMERA , ACTIONS go go go spend your money into plushes lol

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    This back story has been around for a while. I'm kind of ok with it. It feels like it thematically makes more sense than MGM's or DCA's. [...]
    But they've done this for every single thing in that park! They put down a hot dog stand, it's "eat like a star!". You walk out of some place, "it's a wrap!". You board a carnival ride, it's an audition, you use the restrooms, you're a director, you watch a show, you're an extra. So what, I cough through Cinemagique, ruin a classic movie and suddenly I'm Steven Spielberg? Who's buying this?

I mean, that's the sort of deliberately awful tongue-in-cheek theming you do for Halloween parties.

It's repetitive and unimaginative. How I prefer the Disney-MGM Studios' Sunset Boulevard, which at least has the decency to pretend it's real. Yes, the park doesn't know where the real world ends and the studio lot begins, but at least they didn't ruin the good places by dressing them up in confusing and laughable prose.

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I mean, that's the sort of deliberately awful tongue-in-cheek theming you do for Halloween parties.

It's repetitive and unimaginative.
    Welcome to Europe! They wouldn't no true theming if it but them on the butt. That's why Disney has the best to offer in Europe.

Any "themed" experiences in the UK are simply laughable. Europe just doesn't get it. The US does, the Japanese do, even the people in Dubai do. Just look at the Pumpkin Men and Pink Witches.

If the US arm of Disney are involved in DLP it turns out well. The minute something is handed to the Europeans, it's ruined. DLP, the restaurants, the hotels, and even ToT.

So I suppose this doesn't surprise me.

• Pirate - G'har!

How is ToT ruined in the hands of the Europeans pray tell?

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    How is ToT ruined in the hands of the Europeans pray tell?
    The marketting aspect is likely to be. We'll see. It is a little early. But let's face it, the official DLP brocures are pretty cheesy.

I don't think I've seen a really good marketting campaign around DLP since Space Moutain.

• Pirate - G'har!

Aye, SM's campaign was excellent. In fairness I haven't seen much Crush-specific marketing for DLRP, just the usual generic Disney park shot collection and the 15th logo. Hey, it even used the WDW castle in the final logo! That angered me quite a bit. Still, I have a feeling they'll make a big thing out of the tower, I hope anyway.

Me too fizzogg. I didn't mean to cause offence. I just call them as I see them. Compare the WDW marketting we get here in the UK with the DLP and there is no comparison. I know the US has bigger budgets and we get the fruits of the labour for their domestic markets, but still, creativity doesn't have to cost much.

I have a feeling the TV spot will be a rehash of the DCA marketing with the DLP Logo. The printed material will be the usual crap we get from the European divisions.

• Pirate - G'har!

I loved the DCA video (the one that started as 'The Hollywood Tower Hotel was the height of glamour and luxury' with the black and white footage) but wanna see something different.

I'd probably go for that start with 'til one fateful night' etc, then have an announcement at a press conference at the studios. 'Walt Disney Studios Paris is happy to announce the filming of an all-new lost episode of the Twiligh Zone based on real events, and the story of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and have build a total reconstruction of this famous landmark'. Then some lightening flashes and stuff. Then a creepy voice-over 'From January at Disneyland Resort Paris you are the stars of a brand-new episode.' Then shots of the tower from different angles. 'But are you ready to cross over into, the twilight zone'. Then some flashy strobey shots of the drop. Then darkness then the press conference. Reporter: 'What about these reports that the workers have been scared away from the set because of, hehe, restless spirits'. Spokesperson: 'I assure this set is completely safe'. Black out. Then dramatic movie trailer music and some flashy shots of the tower/drop. Then the logo

Once again, my post has descended into armchair, well, advertising.

• Senior Minion

Could the backstory not have been - all of the 'Twighlight Zone' story actually happened and then then the hotel mysteriously vanished only to even-more-mysteriously reappear in DLP? Simple, effective and keeping with the paranormal theme.

Either that or we could say that the ghost of Micheal Eisner wanted to build yet another hotel at DLP and the ToT appeared overnight (even though its been getting built for years!).

I agree that Studios has taken its movie theming to the extreme. When Hollywood Boulevard is finished, the hotel will fit perfectly - unless DLP are going to market HB as a 'movie set'.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

I think that's the whole idea, but tbh at least there is a theme unlike MGM. I mean, it's called 'Walt Disney Studios' but why would there be a Hollywood theme park area in the middle. The hotel recreation is growing on me but only if they customise the ride to that story. And that probably aint gonna happen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast