• Minion

Cost breakdown: Trip to DLP from Leeds, England

I'm actually from California in the US, but I'm staying in Leeds next Summer to visit a friend. I was thinking about taking a trip to DLP while I'm in Europe at least. I've somewhat looked around for pricing but I want to know it from you. What should I expect? Where would you stay if you were trying to stay on a budget? I'm looking at about two full days at the park. How much are flights there and back? Food? Travel outside of a plane?

Please point me in a direction if this type of question has already been asked.
    Last edited by MousieMagic; 08-09-2007 at 04:21 PM.

• Rock The World

Re: Cost breakdown: Trip to DLP from Leeds, England

Hi cdkihano,

If you're travelling on a budget, flying is probably one of the cheapest ways to get there. Almost all the UK budget airlines fly to Charles De Gaulle airport, and it's only a short hop from there to the Resort.
    Don't rule out travelling by TGV (high speed train) from the airport, by the way. It can often be as cheap as taking the RER suburban line, and takes less than half the time. (www.tgv.com) You can order the tickets online and have them posted to you in the UK for free. A word of advice - don't trust the English language version of the site. Their timetables don't seem to be kept up to date.

When it comes to hotels, it's far cheaper to stay off-site. Try finding a place in Bussy Sainte Georges. It's only ten minutes by RER from the resort, and it has plenty of cheap, clean hotels to choose from. I'd recommend either the Villages Hôtel (www.villages-hotel.com), or the Première Classe (www.premiereclasse.fr). Each cost about €40 per night for a room with double bed, TV and en suite bathroom. Their breakfasts aren't bad, either. They're not exactly the Ritz, but in terms of quality/price ratio, I think they're slightly better than Disney's own "budget" options.

Eating - if you do stay in Bussy Sainte Georges, there are some nice restaurants dotted around, especially Chinese. Otherwise, try heading into Val d'Europe (only five minutes on the train), where you'll be spoiled for choice. (The Brioche Dorée is my personal favourite!)

I hope this goes some way to helping. Just let me know if you've got any other questions.

• Minion

One of my fears is getting stuck somewhere in France (or anywhere else for that matter) and not being able to talk to anyone to help solve my problems. I don't speak a word of French. I do know that they have English courses in the schools, but how much of the population speak English?

By the way, thank you soundtracker

I was reading that you could take the train from England to Paris, but flying there is cheaper.

Do the hotels charge by room or how many people are in your group? I know... it's stupid, but I've heard of hotels charging by the number of people staying in the room instead of the quality of the room.

So much to plan... so much to save... but it'll be well worth it.

• Sock Puppet

Lots of folks from the UK go to Walt Disney World because overall the trip is cheaper than going to Disneyland Paris!

• Pirate - G'har!

Uh....wha?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Winds View Post
    Lots of folks from the UK go to Walt Disney World because overall the trip is cheaper than going to Disneyland Paris!
    WDW will be another trip but thanks for the tip.

Next Summer I'll be in Europe, I want to do things in Europe.

• Pirate - G'har!

An overall trip to WDW wouldn't be cheaper than an overall trip to Paris, I think you might have meant better value in which case maybe but certainly not cheaper since WDW is a holiday destination and DLRP is a weekend getaway place really.

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by cdkihano View Post
    One of my fears is getting stuck somewhere in France (or anywhere else for that matter) and not being able to talk to anyone to help solve my problems. I don't speak a word of French. I do know that they have English courses in the schools, but how much of the population speak English?
    You probably won't have toomuch trouble getting to and from the resort, as the staff at the airports and hotels nearly all speak enough English to get by. Just make sure you learn enough French to be polite. This need only be the absolute basics - Bonjour, Merci, Aurevoir, etc. The French are very forgiving, as long as you have clearly made a little effort on the pleasantries.

Do the hotels charge by room or how many people are in your group? I know... it's stupid, but I've heard of hotels charging by the number of people staying in the room instead of the quality of the room.
    French hotels charge by the room, regardless of how many people are staying in it. (UK hotels, annoyingly, do the opposite.)

Planning a trip can be a lot of hastle, but you're sure to have a great time!

• Minion

Great info Soundtracker and others! I too am a Californian that may be coming to Europe. But, I will be staying in the town of Bullion, France if I come.

• Minion

Prepaid mobiles.

My phone doesn't have a SIM card, at least one I have access to. Would it be wise to leave my phone at home in the US at buy a prepaid mobile in the UK?

• Minion

Prepaid mobiles.

My phone doesn't have a SIM card, at least one I have access to. Would it be wise to leave my phone at home in the US at buy a prepaid mobile in the UK?
    You might be better off finding an unlocked phone here in the states that is a multi region phone. That's what I did when I went to Australia, but it may be very different in Europe!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy98 View Post
    You might be better off finding an unlocked phone here in the states that is a multi region phone. That's what I did when I went to Australia, but it may be very different in Europe!
    I hear they're close to unlocking the iphone...

• Disneyland Grandee

I'm actually from California in the US, but I'm staying in Leeds next Summer to visit a friend. .
    You absolutely must not miss seeing Leeds Castle, it's gorgeous!!!

If you decide to stay on property, The Hotel Santa Fe is the cheapest, and decent for a place to sleep and shower. We found it quite adequate.
    ~~Jodi~~
    Next WDW trip coming up 10-5-10 to 10-15-10, Wilderness Lodge Villas.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DizDee View Post
    You absolutely must not miss seeing Leeds Castle, it's gorgeous!!!

If you decide to stay on property, The Hotel Santa Fe is the cheapest, and decent for a place to sleep and shower. We found it quite adequate.
    I will probably see everything I can. I'm looking at staying in Leeds for about two months. Leeds castle will be put on the list of things to make sure we see.

I'll look into The Hotel Sante Fe, thank you.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

I will probably see everything I can. I'm looking at staying in Leeds for about two months. Leeds castle will be put on the list of things to make sure we see.

I'll look into The Hotel Sante Fe, thank you.
    Leeds Castle is nowhere near Leeds. It is in Kent, 280 miles to the south of Leeds (confusing huh?).
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!