Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

And the Disney theme park with the best castle is....

Well, the votes have been counted and verified and the results are in. I can now reveal the winner of the MiceChat Poll for Best Disney Castle. But first I would like to give a bit of background as to why I decided to conduct this poll, not only on this forum but on the other four theme park forums on this site.
    It started about a week ago during the obligatory discussion on the WDW forum of DL versus WDW. The matter of castles arose and someone suggested that a poll should be set up to decide once and for all whose was best. This original suggestion was for a poll pitting DL against WDW although I saw an opportunity to ‘investigate’ something that had struck me ever since arriving at MiceChat…
    My observations have always been that people fight for their ‘home’ park. DL forum regulars are all for DL and WDWers generally believe that WDW is the best. My decision to set this poll up was less about seeing which park had the best castle (the winner was pretty predictable) but more about seeing how park loyalties fell in each of the forums. This aspect of the results show much more interesting trends.
    Also I was interested in people’s interpretation of the word ‘best’ in the question ‘Which park has the best castle?’ Many argued for looks alone although some focussed on interactivity and ‘special features’. Was it just a walkthrough or was there stuff to do in it?
    (Another reason for starting this ‘investigation’ was partially as a sort of apology for my infamous ‘Here’s a Thing…’ thread on the WDW forum. Although it made some people want to pat me on the back, others wanted to slap me in the face. This is an effort to show that I can be sensible too!)
    Some people queried the validity or sanity of the same poll on five different forums and said that the results would not reflect the truth. In my opinion, this was the only way we could get anywhere near the truth as the variation in the below results show. It was also suggested that voters would simply go into each forum and vote for their own castle. This was clearly not the case since the most subscribed to forums are DL and WDW and, as you will see, neither came out on top.

The overall winner was the castle at Disneyland Paris. This was predicted by many from the outset although it is interesting to note that this particular castle won the poll in all five of the forums, suggesting that it is universally admired.

Each forum’s results were as follows: -
    Disneyland – DLP 45.61%, DL 41.23%, WDW 7.89%, TDL 4.39%, HKDL 0.88% (Total votes – 114)
    Hong Kong Disneyland - DLP 52.51%, DL 17%, WDW 17%, HKDL 7.5%, TDL 5% (Total votes – 40)
    Disneyland Paris - DLP 80.43%, DL 15.22%, WDW 2.17%, TDL 2.17%, HKDL 0% (Total votes – 46)
    Tokyo Disneyland - DLP 58.14%, DL 23.26%, TDL 9.3%, WDW 6.989%, HKDL 2.33% (Total votes – 43)
    Walt Disney World - DLP 51.32%, WDW 28.95%, DL 13.16%, TDL 6.58%, HKDL 0% (Total votes – 76)

As you can see, both of the US parks placed their own castle in second place whereas the Eastern parks were constantly in the bottom two (with the exception of the TDL forum where WDW was knocked doen into fourth). Is this because US MiceChatters are more territorial about their parks? Or, as someone suggested, is that the Japanese are better travelled and so have a more informed opinion? Discuss!

And so the overall results are as follows: -
    Total votes – 319
    1st DLP 54.5% 174 votes
    2nd DL 25.4% 81 votes
    3rd WDW 13.2% 42 votes
    4th TDL 5.3% 17 votes
    5th HKDL 1.6% 5 votes

Thank you to all who voted and contributed to the threads - there were some great comments and fantastic pictures. And now I pass the baton to everyone else to comment or criticise the results and my observations. Feel free…
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Re: And the Disney theme park with the best castle is....

Is there anyone shocked about DLP's castle winning across the board??
    I sure am not.

• Rock The World

Thanks a lot for carrying out this poll, nathan detroit. It's been fascinating! Although I've always take it for granted that we Europeans had the finest castle, I honestly didn't expect it to do so well across the board. But, spare a thought for poor old Hong Kong. I think their castle is better than the Anaheim original, if only because of its beautiful mountain backdrop.

• Pirate - G'har!

Woo! Go Paris!

• World Traveler

I also think that Paris has the "best" hotel ... The Disneyland Hotel. But that's a matter for another thread.

• Little Miss Sunshine

I think for anyone who has seen the DLP castle in person, it's not a contest at all.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• Pirate - G'har!

Seemingly for anyone who hasn't seen it in person it's no contest at all!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    I also think that Paris has the "best" hotel ... The Disneyland Hotel. But that's a matter for another thread.
    You have not been to the Miracosta Mikey?

• Banned User

I haven't been to EuroDisneyland in over a year - does the dragon still work?

• Pirate - G'har!

Yup, it's alive and kicking...and scary...to me....

(Disneyland Resort Paris, Disneyland Resort Paris, Disneyland Resort Paris)

• Senior Minion

Well guys and dolls, its time for me to bid you fond farewell and head off onto my highy anticipated trip to DLP.

Although we do not leave until Monday, we have an early flight (7.20am) which requires an early night tomorrow. Also, we have a lot to do in preparation, all of which will keep me away from you lot until I return on Friday night. I expect to post a Trip Report and photos by Saturday.

May I also point out that its been 24 hours since the results of the best castle poll were posted, and the WDW forum has yet to add a single post to the thread. Sour grapes perhaps?!

I'll give all of your love to Mickey!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Have an amazingly fantastic time. Well, I don't even need to say that... I shall be lost without Waldorf (hope you don't mind being Statler...). Send my love to Snow White and tell her I'll love her despite the allegations. Bon voyage!

• Senior Minion

Cheers bud!

BTW I would have chosen Statler anyway!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mikeland View Post
    Very few people would agree with you here. Even die-hard Disneyland Paris fans would agree that the Disneyland Hotel is overpriced for what it offers and does not provide as great or luxurious an experience as other deluxe Disney hotels; its rooms are quite small compared to them too. The Disneyland Hotel is still my favorite of the Disney hotels in Paris, but it's far from the best Disney hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    You have not been to the Miracosta Mikey?
    I agree. The Hotel MiraCosta blows the Disneyland Hotel out of the water and then some in beauty, detail, opulence, views, and location.
    Last edited by TDR_Fan; 08-11-2007 at 09:44 PM.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Another complaint I have with the rooms of the Disneyland Hotel are how bland and stuffy they look. It lacks color and vividness and thus, does not make a particularly dramatic or inviting impression when you first enter the room.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast