• Minion

Some DLPR questions for an impending trip?

I am deciding between going to DLPR and TDR next summer. I posted a similar thread in the TDR boards a while back. However, I may now be leaning towards going to DLPR. I will be going between May and mid July. Some questions:

1. I will be seeing more of Europe then just Paris, what is the best place to fly into? I live in Atlanta, is there a better place to fly out of?

2. How much do the rail passes cost and how do you go about getting them?

3. Are the shows offered in english through head sets or different show times?

4. How bad will the lines be?

5. Are there any other can't miss theme parks in Europe?

• Banned User

Re: Some DLPR questions for an impending trip?

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2
    However, I may now be leaning towards going to DLPR.
    Big mistake. There isn't so much more you could do at TDR over DLRP... and when all is said and done, based on current euro rate exchanges, the trip to Europe won't be as cheap as you think compared to going to Asia.
    Furthermore... this was the summer to go to DLP for their 5th anniversary... Next summer is the year to go to TDL for their 25th anniversary that promises to be loads of fun and a very special time to visit TDR, just like it is a special time NOW to see DLRP.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Big mistake. There isn't so much more you could do at TDR over DLRP... and when all is said and done, based on current euro rate exchanges, the trip to Europe won't be as cheap as you think compared to going to Asia.
    Furthermore... this was the summer to go to DLP for their 5th anniversary... Next summer is the year to go to TDL for their 25th anniversary that promises to be loads of fun and a very special time to visit TDR, just like it is a special time NOW to see DLRP.

Well I am still in a decision stage. This thread will help me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    1. I will be seeing more of Europe then just Paris, what is the best place to fly into? I live in Atlanta, is there a better place to fly out of?
    Atlanta-Charles deGaulle (paris) on Delta nonstop. best way to get there without hassle.

Don't know how much the passes are but tickets can be purchased at any Metro/RER station in the system or at the airport upon arrival.

3. Are the shows offered in english through head sets or different show times?
    No head set service for shows at DLP anymore. Most shows are bilingual and performers' scripts are written to incorporate both french and english language lines. However, the Lion King show does show in french or english and you need to find out at what time the english versions of the show play. Check your showtime guides.. I also recommend you make central seating reservations. They are first come, first serve and cost nothing to obtain... but be there early for those.. space is limited.

4. How bad will the lines be?
    The lines should be Ok for the most part. Weekends and holidays see lines comparable to the MK or DL on moderate days. Use Fastpass. Be awared that there is a line-cutting problem at this park which I would hope won't affect you. Summer lines can be long, like at DL or MK. Line to Crush Coaster is slow and takes on average 1 hr to 75 mins in the afternoon.

Well... before you go off to other parks in Europe, check out Paris' offerings. Eiffel Tower... etc etc. I can not advise you on other parks because I simply do not care for them, but Parc Asterix is nearby, and over in Barcelona... Port Aventura seems to be a crowd pleaser.

• Banned User

Well I am still in a decision stage. This thread will help me.
    Well... regarless which park you choose, you will enjoy it. I just think that TDR offers a better deal in terms of the amount of stuff to see and do there... and it's only a 4 hr flight to HKDL from Tokyo...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Well... regarless which park you choose, you will enjoy it. I just think that TDR offers a better deal in terms of the amount of stuff to see and do there... and it's only a 4 hr flight to HKDL from Tokyo...
    I have to agree with TDLFAN. There is so much more to do at the Tokyo Disney Resort over the Disneyland Resort Paris. Plus, there's Tokyo DisneySea; that park alone is worth the trip in my opinion.

Still, I can understand why you would prefer travelling to Paris given its closer location and amount of non-Disney stuff to do. Europe is a continent rich in history and culture. Very many sights and wonders, not that there aren't many in Japan.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I have to agree with TDLFAN. There is so much more to do at the Tokyo Disney Resort over the Disneyland Resort Paris. Plus, there's Tokyo DisneySea; that park alone is worth the trip in my opinion.

Still, I can understand why you would prefer travelling to Paris given its closer location and amount of non-Disney stuff to do. Europe is a continent rich in history and culture. Very many sights and wonders, not that there aren't many in Japan.

It is funny you mention non-Disney, because I do want to see certain sights in Europe such as the real Matterhorn and Neuschwanstein Castle (the one Walt based Sleeping Beauty Castle off of). I do want to do some non Disney related stuff such as the Eiffel Tower, but I would like to see some of the influences on Disney in person. Japanese culture is also interesting to me.

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Starting with the easy stuff; Europa Park in Germany is the second most visited park in Europe after Disneyland Paris. Other recommended parks are Port Aventura in Spain, Holiday Park and Phantasialand in Germany. Paris also has Parc Asterix which may be worth a visit.
    At the end of the day it's up to you so check out their official sites to see what appeals to you.

If you're seeing a lot more than Paris a flight into Frankfurt Airport may be a good option. They have 2 regional train stations at the airport offering services around the region and also directly onto the high speed line to the Rhine and onwards to the Netherlands, Brussels, Paris and London. It's relatively central and very well connected rail-wise. Not to mention visiting Frankfurt itself if that was on your plans.

Where to start!?

There are tons of different rail passes, with the Eurail brand being the most common and well known.
    To decide which pass suits your needs we need to know how many people are in your travel party, which countries you will be visiting and an approximate number of travel days as well as the total length of your holiday.
    Some passes give the holder unlimited travel during their validity (ie. 2 months) while some others entitle the holder to a certain number of travel days within a prescribed period (ie. 14 days within 2 months). There are universal passes that cover most countries in continental Europe, select passes that cover different combinations of 2-5 countries as well as single country and even single region passes.

If you're planning on traveling in the UK the only passes you can get are the BritRail ones, although it may well be cheaper to get advance purchase leisure tickets if you're only traveling a bit.

I almost always find that the cheapest passes are available directly from Eurail at their website, however they only sell their own passes, so if you choose to get different ones you'll have to buy them from elsewhere.

There are a number of sellers of rail passes in the US and on the internet although you may find that most are just agents for just a few big suppliers. Rail Europe is a major retailer that is owned by the French and Swiss national railways that is worth a look.

The best timetable resource, covering continental Europe and the UK is the German Railways, DB. Their timetable and booking service is very good and can be used to book point to point tickets or just seat reservations on services, which is handy if you plan to travel on a railpass.

While not usually compulsory, seat reservations are recommended if you're traveling at peak times or seasons or just want the security of having a seat with your travel party or at all for longer journeys. On some deluxe/high speed trains like the TGV reservations are mandatory while some local trains will not allow seat reservations at all. Reservations costs anywhere between 3 and 10 Euros if organised in Europe at a railway station. If language is going to be an issue, have the train number departure and arrival stations and times on a piece of paper to show to the ticket agent, all of this information is available from DB's timetable search.

Speaking of premium trains it again depends on where you're traveling but highlights include the Eurostar to experience the Channel Tunnel, the record setting French TGV and, my personal favourite, the German InterCityExpress. Some of these high speed and premium trains may require a supplement if you're travelling on a railpass. This can be paid when you make a seat reservation for one of them. For instance a trip on the Thalys will cost around 10-20 Euros for the seat reservation and supplement if travelling on a railpass.
    The Eurostar is also special because no railpass covers this service, some like the Eurail pass entitle the holder to a discounted fare although you may find a cheaper fare if you're prepared to get a non-flexible advance purchase sale fare direct from their website.

I've now scratched the surface of intercity travel, let me know if you want info on DLRP-Paris travel or inner-city travel in any European city for that matter. You'll find that there is a swag of different ticketing concepts amongst the major European cities and some offer you free travel with a Eurail pass on certain lines.

If you change your mind and decide to visit TDL we can have another, similarly long, discussion about Japan's cool trains too!
    Last edited by V1213; 08-13-2007 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Forgot to discuss arrival airpot!
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Banned User

Great rail info. Thanks.

There is also futurescope in France which is the film related theme park

• Hello!

I really enjoyed Puy Du Fou, although I wouldn't say it is worth travelling miles for.

www.puydufou.com

• Geoff London

Main European Parks:

U.K. Alton Towers / Chessington World of Adventures - both pale imitations of a theme park although AT has some good E rides.
    Blackpool Pleasure Beach - best coaster rides in the world!

http://www.altontowers.com/
    http://www.chessington.co.uk/
    http://www.blackpoolpleasurebeach.com/

FRANCE Parc Asterix (just north of DLRP) - based on the famous Asterix comics
    http://www.parcasterix.fr/v2/default.asp

HOLLAND Efteling - based on fairy tales
    http://www.efteling.nl/home.aspx?LanguageId=2

GERMANY Europa Park (Has an almost copy of Spaceship Earth but not with the ride)
    http://www.europapark.de/lang-en/c51/default.html

SPAIN Port Aventura - owned by Universal Studios
    http://www.portaventura.co.uk/

DENMARK Tivoli Gardens - World famous and where Walt got ideas from from DL
    http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-3351.htm

None - I repeat none - can beat Disney for theming.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

I agree with most, that TDR and TDS will give you more for your buck (or at least for a couple of extra bucks). TDS is truly amazing. I love Ariel's underground area. I've been to both, plus Tokyo is such an experience. And as stated, you could do a quick two or three day trip to Hong Kong and visit HKDL too. However, seeing the Matterhorn (the real one) in Zermatt is breathtaking--however it is a long trip on the train depending from you are coming from. But the ski town of Zermatt is very charming. I'd say go to Tokyo, and hit Paris and such later. Hopefully in a couple of years the Studios will be a grander park and will give you more to do.

• Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post

SPAIN Port Aventura - owned by Universal Studios
    http://www.portaventura.co.uk/
    PortAventura is no longer owned by Universal, but instead by La Caixa.