Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Paris & Disney lose big on Olympic Bid

I haven't heard much about this subject, but I'm sure Disney and EuroDisney had some part in trying to get the Olympics to come to Paris. It's two theme parks are still hurting in France, and no doubt that if the Olympics had come to France, it would be a sure-fire way to drastically pump in some much needed tourist dollars into it's resorts.
    Now, I'm sure they did something to help the Paris bid...but nothing that I'm aware of publicly.
    Anyone know anything different?

• No bacon; sausage.

Re: Paris & Disney lose big on Olympic Bid

Don't know what role they had, but honestly, they might be just as happy to have it in London. A huge chunk of DLRP attendance comes from the UK. It's a short day trip via the chunnel. If they play their cards right, they will be able to capitalize nicely on the games being in London.

• wasting time

Slightly Off Topic:
    Did Disneyland in Anaheim receive a boost in attendance
    when the Olympics came to Los Angeles back in the 1980's ?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrIncredible
    I haven't heard much about this subject, but I'm sure Disney and EuroDisney had some part in trying to get the Olympics to come to Paris. It's two theme parks are still hurting in France, and no doubt that if the Olympics had come to France, it would be a sure-fire way to drastically pump in some much needed tourist dollars into it's resorts.
    Now, I'm sure they did something to help the Paris bid...but nothing that I'm aware of publicly.
    Anyone know anything different?
    Who said the parks were hurting? I thought they were recovering!

• Banned User

The parks are not recovering. They are still in very bad shape.

• insufferable know-it-all

EM: I imagine they must have

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• No bacon; sausage.

Every attraction in Los Angeles and the surrounding area benefited. As a matter of fact, those olympics were the first modern olympics to actually be profitable for the host city.

• Former Epcot CM

....because they were not funded by the public. I read today that the IOC has a duty to hold some sort of Olympics - may they be Summer or Winter - in the USA every ten years due to NBC providing lots of money towards the IOC for media coverage.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    ....because they were not funded by the public. I read today that the IOC has a duty to hold some sort of Olympics - may they be Summer or Winter - in the USA every ten years due to NBC providing lots of money towards the IOC for media coverage.
    If that is true, it won't be any more. The last olympics in America was at Salt Lake City in 2002. The next won't be until at least 12 years later.
    2004(Athens, Greece)
    2006(Turin, Italy)
    2008(Beijing, China)
    2010(Vancouver, Canada)
    2012(London, England)

As for the 2012, I wish it would have been in NY. I honestly think they had the best proposal. If it weren't for Cablevision and the guy from lower manhatten, we would have gotten it to. Those stupid people had to turn down the westside stadium (because Cablevision is too greedy). I find it completely unfair that London got it. They've already hosted it 2 times. Paris has also hosted the Olympics 2 times and Moscow hosted it once. It really should have been between NY and Madrid.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway

Untrue. There may have been SOME truth to that at one point but not anymore. The USOC isn't going to submit a bid for 2014 since they'll be in Vancouver, 2016 would be the next possible year the US would host.

In any case, I think DLP will be just fine in 2012. As others have said, it's a day trip from London (a LONG day but certainly not impossible) and yes while it would have been easier had the Games been in Paris, diehards will make the trip, just as they do now.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Untrue. There may have been SOME truth to that at one point but not anymore. The USOC isn't going to submit a bid for 2014 since they'll be in Vancouver, 2016 would be the next possible year the US would host.

In any case, I think DLP will be just fine in 2012. As others have said, it's a day trip from London (a LONG day but certainly not impossible) and yes while it would have been easier had the Games been in Paris, diehards will make the trip, just as they do now.
    Olympicnut has a good point, the US had virtually no shot of hosting the 2012 games due to the fact that Vancouver is hosting the winter games in 2010. 2016 is a very good bet that the US will host however since they will not put them back in Europe again with the 2004 and 2012 games there and the 2008 games are in China so the Asian countries will likely not get them either and Austrailia hosted the 2000 games. My guess is the US will compete with a few Western Hemisphere countries and maybe even South Africa for 2016.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Anders
    Olympicnut has a good point, the US had virtually no shot of hosting the 2012 games due to the fact that Vancouver is hosting the winter games in 2010.
    Why not? They can't be held in the same continent twice? Between 1936 and 1956, 7 Olympics were held (in a row) in Europe. I think NY should have easily won. IOC is never fair. When the time came recently to make a new contract with American TV networks, the IOC said that money would not be a deciding factor. Guess which net they gave the rights to...the network that offered the most money. Coincidence...maybe (but I think not).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    the IOC said that money would not be a deciding factor. Guess which net they gave the rights to...the network that offered the most money. Coincidence...maybe (but I think not).

-Michael

They meant a deciding factor in choosing host cities.

And isn't that called good business? Why give the rights to a CBS if NBC is going to pay more $$$$ for the rights? They wouldn't just give it to a lower bidder willy nilly "just 'cause".

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    They meant a deciding factor in choosing host cities.
    No, I was talking about the nets. When they were choosing which network (I believe it was NBC, ABC, CBS and possibly FOX) to give rights to, they said that they were going by the "whole-package" and not just money. NBC and ABC both have about the same amount of channels. At the time, NBC did not own Universal, so that was one major thing ABC had. NBC, unlike ABC's parent, was not in the movie business. ABC also has ESPN (and it's magazine). Back then NBC was the number one network. Now, I believe it is number 3 or 4 (while ABC is 1 or 2). NBC's ratings are decreasing, ABC's is increasing. NBC offered more money, but I believe ABC had the better package.

-Michael

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    Why not? They can't be held in the same continent twice? Between 1936 and 1956, 7 Olympics were held (in a row) in Europe. I think NY should have easily won. IOC is never fair. When the time came recently to make a new contract with American TV networks, the IOC said that money would not be a deciding factor. Guess which net they gave the rights to...the network that offered the most money. Coincidence...maybe (but I think not).

-Michael
    the world is a much different place than in 1936-1956. The World Cup (soccer) is even going to be held in South Africa in 2010, first time ever in Africa, also it was in Japan and South Korea in 2002. In '36-'56, the world was mostly centered around Europe and the US. The rest of the world has caught up development-wise.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast