Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Art of Animation - Is that it?

Okay, so on my recent visit we popped into The Art of Animation at WDS.

What is it with that?!

For starters, the CMs were almost dragging people in and when we attended the theatres were barely a third full.
    The opening speech from Roy Disney is dubbed into French with English subtitles (go figure!).
    The montage of Disney clips in the first theatre is good and especially interesting with it being multi-language but it has not been updated to include post-2002 characters and films.
    The second theatre - what can I say? My earphones were broken (one side snapped completely off) and, when I did get a pair that worked, I could hardly hear the English translation over the loud French one. Mushu was funny (from what I could hear) but the whole thing wasn't really that informative.

The only good points in this attraction are the multiplane camera (very interesting and rather humbling to be in the presence of) and the interactive bits at the end (NDJnr loves the colouring/sound FX/voice screens).

Obviously WDS should have an attraction based on Disney animation but this should be a lot better. I remember visiting the WDW one quite a few years ago and it was a lot stronger. The lack of crowds here presumabley had to do with the Crush crush but this attraction now stands out in Toon Studios as being rather weak. I would expect that this will be the next original attraction to be revamped/replaced following Stitch taking over the TV studios.

This was not my first time on this attraction but it certainly was the first time that I noticed how poor it was. The only provision made for new movies was the insertion of Ratatouille in the second theatre (Chicken Little last time) but surely this could be made a lot more interactive and easily update-able.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Re: Art of Animation - Is that it?

This attraction has been a big dissapointment from the start.But WDW isn't much to look at now days either.The only park who's Animation attraction it got right from the start was DCA.It allows you to view various shows and exibits in your own time.Has some fantastic theming and its probarely a close to 2 hour attraction.The one at WDS has very little to look at and the Mushu show is very annoying to watch with the headsets.Through I do enjoy the show with all the various clips,if it wasn't for that show I'd most certainly avoid this attraction on my next trip.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    This attraction has been a big dissapointment from the start.But WDW isn't much to look at now days either.The only park who's Animation attraction it got right from the start was DCA.It allows you to view various shows and exibits in your own time.Has some fantastic theming and its probarely a close to 2 hour attraction.The one at WDS has very little to look at and the Mushu show is very annoying to watch with the headsets.Through I do enjoy the show with all the various clips,if it wasn't for that show I'd most certainly avoid this attraction on my next trip.
    And there's your answer. Put in the DCA one and you've got an amazing attraction.

• Senior Minion

Yes, the clips were the only reason that I went this time (plus we had 40 minutes to kill before Animagique). It has been ages since I was at WDW but fondly remember the video narration from Robin Williams and Walter Cronkite. There were also actual animators there (doing Aladdin at the time). Are they still there? I'd heard that this part of the attraction was scrapped.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Yeah that Robin Williams movie was scrapped but it was a good thing as it was clearly starting to show its age.The Animation attraction in Florida is almost as bad as the one in Paris now days,since the company shutdown its Florida Animation unit.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Yeah that Robin Williams movie was scrapped but it was a good thing as it was clearly starting to show its age.The Animation attraction in Florida is almost as bad as the one in Paris now days,since the company shutdown its Florida Animation unit.
    I'd actually say the WDW is worse than Paris now. But yep - the french is too loud and dominates over the headsets (same thing for HISTA).
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Pirate - G'har!

Don't get me started on how loud HISTA's freakin' French is! Oh well, I never go on it, it needs to be destroyed and replaced with a Verne ride...

• Senior Minion

I've always been lucky enough to attend HISTA when it was in English. And let's face it, it's a heck of a lot better that Captain Eo!
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 08-21-2007 at 11:56 PM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I've always been lucky enough to attend HISTA when it was in English. And let's face it, it's a heck of a lot better that Captain Eo!
    Really? I think both are anachronisms. In the late '80s and early '90s, people would hold their hands up in front of their 3D glasses and say things like "it's like this rock coming straight at me!". But the last time I attended HISTA, no one seemed the least impressed. Including me. Well, maybe the seat effects got a reaction or two, but it wasn't like Captain EO.

• Senior Minion

Imagine sitting through Captain Eo now though. I last saw it in 1996 and it looked dated then (the effects were okay but the hairstyles and dance moves - soooo 80s!). Michael Jackson's current 'reputation' also taints Eo (I would heartily recommend looking out for the episode of Family Guy where they visit WDW if you have not already seen it).
    HISTA may not be technologically stunning anymore (if it ever was) but it remains amusing and entertaining if not earth-shattering. Having not seen Philharmagic, I can't comment on that but I like 3D shows and have very fond memories of Muppetvision 3D although the AAs really added to that one.
    Maybe its time that HISTA was retired and replaced. Can't we combine the motivations of Art of Animation with the technology of HISTA to produce something that is both entertaining and informative? (see how I got back on topic at the end there?!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Imagine sitting through Captain Eo now though. I last saw it in 1996 and it looked dated then (the effects were okay but the hairstyles and dance moves - soooo 80s!). Michael Jackson's current 'reputation' also taints Eo (I would heartily recommend looking out for the episode of Family Guy where they visit WDW if you have not already seen it).
    HISTA may not be technologically stunning anymore (if it ever was) but it remains amusing and entertaining if not earth-shattering. Having not seen Philharmagic, I can't comment on that but I like 3D shows and have very fond memories of Muppetvision 3D although the AAs really added to that one.
    Maybe its time that HISTA was retired and replaced. Can't we combine the motivations of Art of Animation with the technology of HISTA to produce something that is both entertaining and informative? (see how I got back on topic at the end there?!)
    Nice segue. Speaking of segues, I did see the Family Guy spoof. It was funny, even if they stole that stock slide roller coaster joke from The Simpsons (yes, yes, "Simpsons did it!").

But I personally didn't find HISTA very entertaining. I almost literally slept through it and never bothered to come back. I had more fun in the Statue of Liberty exhibition over on Main Street. But I'm sure it has its fans.

• Senior Minion

The Statue of Liberty exhibition in the Liberty Arcade is brilliant!

Or rather not the exhibition itself....

For maximum entertainment value, stand outside of it for about five minutes. The looks of disappointment and puzzlement on the guests faces as they exit are priceless!

For more fun see how many languages you can recognize the phrase "is that it?" in!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

The Statue of Liberty exhibition in the Liberty Arcade is brilliant!

Or rather not the exhibition itself....

For maximum entertainment value, stand outside of it for about five minutes. The looks of disappointment and puzzlement on the guests faces as they exit are priceless!

For more fun see how many languages you can recognize the phrase "is that it?" in!
    Yes, well, I think it's all the loud posters outside of it, haha. Building up a lot of excitement and then leading to a diorama with all the vibrancy of a peanut butter sandwich.

But I hear it used to be better. Apparently there were fireworks effects and that sort of thing. Sounds a bit like the animatronic birds at Colonel Hathi's/the Adventurers' Club, in that there must be an on/off switch somewhere that 10,000 fans are dying to lay hands on.

• Senior Minion

Ah yes. Small details that make Disneylands all over the world head and shoulders above all other theme parks.

I persononally would love to see a crocodile swimming arounf Hook's ship.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Wouldn't we all....I guess....I'd wanna see the black pearl but whatever....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast