• Senior Minion

Magic Music Days

Okay, so I may have finally taken complete leave of what little sense I have with my current plans. I am considering organising a trip for around 20 children and young people to DLP to perform as part of what Disney call Magic Music Days. This seems to entail performing on the Fantasy Festival Stage.

The thing is, that's all I know at the moment. DLP are being quite elusive in supplying details although I am expecting something through any day now. In the meantime, does anyone out there have any experience of these MMDs? Been part of one? Organised one? Maybe just been part of the audience for one? I would appreciate any details however small. I value real-life experiences over what will appear in the brochure.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

Re: Magic Music Days

Thank you all for the overwhelming response to my question. I appreciate all of the time and effort you put into your answers - they were invaluable.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

I don't think you're been rejected, I just think no-one knows! Sorry

• is satisfactual.

Yes, that's pretty much it. Simply haven't got a clue. Sorry.

Perhaps you need to try a different forum, one where there are more DLRP wiseasses.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    a different forum, one where there are more DLRP wiseasses.
    Can there possibly be such a place?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Can there possibly be such a place?!
    There's http://www.photosmagiques.com/forum/. It's very Oedipal, but there are some people who may be able to help you. Ooh, they read this forum, though.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Hi ND,

I have taken several groups to DL with the MMDs program. Have you submitted an application and audition tape yet? Or are you just now getting your materials from Disney after you sent them a request?

I'm a former high school band director and I've taken my jazz band and wind ensembles there.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Pathetically Obsessed

And let me expand my post.

There are several stages that the kids can perform on. Most of the school groups perform over in Carnation Plaza.

So, it's been a while, but let me try and recall the steps here.

You contact DL for a MMDs application. You then submit an audition tape of your group and wait to hear back. There is a timeline involved in terms of when you submit versus when you can take your kids. This includes any type of acceptance notification, which then comes with another packet of information about when you're coming, what entrance media you'll need, chaperone instructions as well as performance day instructions.

You didn't specify what age your kids are, but with my high school wind ensemble, Disney offers an incredible back-stage workshop. We warmed up, a Disney clinician then takes over the workshop and the kids learned how to
    basically record a sound track to the animated movie. It was great fun. They offer the same workshop for middle school groups as well. Not sure about vocal or orchestra, but my guess would be that they will have something similar.

In our case, we planned a weekend trip with the kids/chaperones. We stayed close by (we didn't get any real big price breaks on hotel/air as the industry is wise to group travel), met backstage at DL (again, they'll provide directions/passes), go to the workshop or performance stage, you do your thing, then you're done. Very rewarding experience for the kids and you should get something out of it yourself. The conductor that did the clinic with my group was very supportive of what I was doing in terms of directing the band and very complimentary to the kids. I really had a good experience there and would recommend that you give it a try.

Break a leg and let us know where you are in the process and how it went when it's over!
    Rich
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Senior Minion

I have just recieved the application and we are going to put it to the parents in the next week or so. the main problem is that you need to apply (including numbers of participants) before they can give you a price or confirm any dates. That makes the whole thing a little 'Catch 22' in the organisation. It just means we need to be initially quite vague with details until we hear back from Disney.

Thanks for your interest and I'll keep everyone posted.

Actually if it goes ahead, I'll let everyone know the dates in adavance and you can all come and be in the audience!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    I have just recieved the application and we are going to put it to the parents in the next week or so. the main problem is that you need to apply (including numbers of participants) before they can give you a price or confirm any dates. That makes the whole thing a little 'Catch 22' in the organisation. It just means we need to be initially quite vague with details until we hear back from Disney.

Thanks for your interest and I'll keep everyone posted.

Actually if it goes ahead, I'll let everyone know the dates in adavance and you can all come and be in the audience!
    Just use round numbers, Disney won't care until you actually get accepted. Then you'll have a much better idea of how many can make the trip, your budget, etc. Just roll with it.

Hope the parents and kids all have a great time!
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Senior Minion

I'm sure they will - in the meantime, I'm getting grey hairs just thinking about the logistics of organising and running it!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Senior Minion

I sent our application today. Further info will be posted as it occurs.

Interesting fact - there is a place in DLP called Pocahontas Administration Building

(The film isn't good enough for a ride but it gets an admin building named after it!)
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pathetically Obsessed

That's great. In the mean time, do you have travel plans made? Are you flying? Then you'll need ground transportation. You should be thinking about getting the parents together and let them know tentative plans, approximate costs. Have you run everything by your school administration?

FYI - as a former band director, I have been chosen as the parent coordinator for this year's trip to DL of my son's 8th grade band. So I am thick in the middle of all these arrangements myself. Let me give you some more details:
    • We have our itinerary - travel dates
    • We have started purchase orders to make deposits
    • We have prepared an application to the district for field trip out of town
    • We have taken a deposit from each of the kids and chaperones
    • We have a group reservation on an airline
    • We have hotel arrangements/contract in hand
    • We are starting to explore ground transportation (bus from and to the airport, and bus to and from DL)
    • We are starting to organize food for the kids as well. I'll detail this if you want to know how we're going to feed our kids when they are down there.
    We are planning on 52 kids and 14 adults to go on the trip.

Nathan - tell me what else you need and I'll be happy to supply more details.
    "Fire at will, boys!"

"Which one's Will?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredByWalt View Post
    That's great. In the mean time, do you have travel plans made? Are you flying? Then you'll need ground transportation. You should be thinking about getting the parents together and let them know tentative plans, approximate costs. Have you run everything by your school administration?

FYI - as a former band director, I have been chosen as the parent coordinator for this year's trip to DL of my son's 8th grade band. So I am thick in the middle of all these arrangements myself. Let me give you some more details:
    • We have our itinerary - travel dates
    • We have started purchase orders to make deposits
    • We have prepared an application to the district for field trip out of town
    • We have taken a deposit from each of the kids and chaperones
    • We have a group reservation on an airline
    • We have hotel arrangements/contract in hand
    • We are starting to explore ground transportation (bus from and to the airport, and bus to and from DL)
    • We are starting to organize food for the kids as well. I'll detail this if you want to know how we're going to feed our kids when they are down there.
    We are planning on 52 kids and 14 adults to go on the trip.

Nathan - tell me what else you need and I'll be happy to supply more details.
    Thanks for the info.

We have had a meeting with the parents and the plans were met with a great amount of enthusiasm.

My main concerns are with transport. Flying would be the preferred option but the cost looks like it may be prohibitive (we are trying to do this as cheaply as possible). Unfortunately, the journey time by coach would be around 15 hours and so we are currently looking at trains. Until we get our dates confirmed (that is if we pass the auditions!), we can't really do much with that side of things. As soon as details are confirmed - deposits will be demanded!

As far as food is concerned, the hotel will provide breakfast and we plan to go with the Meal Plan to ensure at least one other proper meal per day.

I will keep you posted...
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 09-17-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011