Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Senior Minion

Phantom Manor - Better How?

Okay, so its been a good few years since I have ridden on the WDW Haunted Mansion and in the intervening time, I have ridden DLP's PM many times.

Now everyone says PM is better than HM. How? I certainly miss the quaking caretaker and the three hitch-hiking ghosts from HM.

So the question is - how is PM better than HM? Or is it? The recent HM refurbs may mean that we have the weaker version now - especially considering the 'dead' AAs the last time I rode it (as reported in my recent Trip Report).

Waddayathink?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Membre

Re: Phantom Manor - Better How?

- Sorry posted in wrong topic -
    Last edited by Olivier; 09-17-2007 at 06:35 AM.

• Minion

The Haunted Mansion certainly seems more technologically advanced now, featuring many incredible effects that enhance the experience greatly. While I have a soft spot for Phantom Manor, I think the Haunted Mansion might be a better attraction overall now.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Yea, I didn't really care for PM compared to HM. It was definitely a darker, more sinister attraction. HM seems more whimsical to me, which I like better than the theme of PM. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to go through (and I did so a few times). But if given a choice I'd choose HM over PM any day.

• Pirate - G'har!

I think on paper and design-wise PM kicks HM's behind into next year. But as for quality of ride, the HM probably takes the title....right now, hopefully PM will be in for some TLC and get all the new-fngled effects and restore it to its sinister better-than-HM glory (bear in mind I'm a huge Phantom of the Opera/Danny Elfman fan)

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I think on paper and design-wise PM kicks HM's behind into next year. But as for quality of ride, the HM probably takes the title....right now, hopefully PM will be in for some TLC and get all the new-fngled effects and restore it to its sinister better-than-HM glory (bear in mind I'm a huge Phantom of the Opera/Danny Elfman fan)
    I agree. In theory, PM wins, but in reality it also still has a rear-projected Madam Leota. Some TLC is definitely needed to bring it into 2007.

But as with everything in DLP, I do love how original the ride is. It also works so great in Frontierland.

• Minion

I pretty much agree with the above posters. Phantom Manor is a better concept (at least for me) and executed better in my opinion. However, it is definitely the most dated and behind in special effects. If they were to get some 21st century changes like what the Haunted Mansions got, it would be the best. I think the overall presentation of Phantom Manor is more elaborate and cohesive, but the overall experience of the Haunted Mansions is much more impressive right now. I think Phantom Manor is still my favorite of the Haunted Mansions right now due to its amazing and emotional orchestral score.

• Pirate - G'har!

The score, I think, is what really propells Phantom Manor, it's wonderful, yet it's still grim grinning ghosts (yup, I hate GGG). It has SO much potential to be the obvious clear winner it just needs to catch up with the rest of Frontierland, now looking wonderful

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    The score, I think, is what really propells Phantom Manor, it's wonderful, yet it's still grim grinning ghosts (yup, I hate GGG). It has SO much potential to be the obvious clear winner it just needs to catch up with the rest of Frontierland, now looking wonderful
    I suppose the fact that PM is derelict by design puts it very low on their "to refurbish" list.

• Pirate - G'har!

This is probably actually worryingly accurate lol

• Coming soon...

To me, the Pahntom Manor still kicks HM into the dirt. But, it's not at all to do with it's technology. Technologically, WDW and DL beat PM. I love PM for its dark nature, its amazing score, and because it oozes atmosphere and creeps out of everyone hole in every wall. The whimsical and fun nature of HM ruins it.

On an off topic note, but still on PM, a while back I created how I personally think PM should've been like. Note that both the story and setting (England) are very different:
    http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=9YQEvNsmSD4

I hope you all like it

On the basis of refurbing PM, I think that a simple spring clean + update of existinf animatronic etc. would work well alone. However, I still think that the Phantom Canyon scene and Phantom 4 should be removed and replaced with a final showdown between the fleeing bride and the Pahntom, in the Boot hill graveyard (like I've done in the video).

• Senior Minion

Yes, I must admit to always being a little jarred by the Phantom Canyon scene. I have always assumed it is there to make the ride fit better into Frontierland. It doesn't really fit with the rest of the ride though although I understand that the decent underground (one of my favourite parts) takes us deeper/further back in time.

One thing that struck me recently was how the exterior of PM is by far the best designed. I took it for granted for so long until I spotted a clip of the exterior of HM in WDW. It used to look good to me but in comparison to PM - it's pretty poor.

btw - CONGRATULATIONS on your 1000th post Fizzy!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    One thing that struck me recently was how the exterior of PM is by far the best designed. I took it for granted for so long until I spotted a clip of the exterior of HM in WDW. It used to look good to me but in comparison to PM - it's pretty poor.
    Really? The exterior of Phantom Manor is just about the only thing I didn't like about the attraction. It just pales in comparison to the elaborate red bricked facade of the Haunted Mansion in the Magic Kingdom, or even the stately and elegant look of the one in Disneyland. I know it's supposed to look abandoned and old, but the wooden structure just does not appeal to me. It's definitely not as detailed, grand, or mansion-like compared to the Haunted Mansions. To me, the exterior of Phantom Manor looks just like the haunted houses in old horror films or amusement parks. Take a look at Roller Coaster Tycoon. The haunted house attraction looks very similar in design to Phantom Manor.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Really? The exterior of Phantom Manor is just about the only thing I didn't like about the attraction. It just pales in comparison to the elaborate red bricked facade of the Haunted Mansion in the Magic Kingdom, or even the stately and elegant look of the one in Disneyland. I know it's supposed to look abandoned and old, but the wooden structure just does not appeal to me. It's definitely not as detailed, grand, or mansion-like compared to the Haunted Mansions. To me, the exterior of Phantom Manor looks just like the haunted houses in old horror films or amusement parks. Take a look at Roller Coaster Tycoon. The haunted house attraction looks very similar in design to Phantom Manor.
    That is what I like about it. The red brick WDW HM is too clean, too well kept. I like how Pm has the air of Norman Bates' house. The approach is genuinely chilling - even in broad daylight. Remember that HM/PM is supposed to be like a haunted house from an old horror film (And PM predates Rollercoaster Tycoon so who copied who?!)

On a related topic - are we ever likely to get the Christmas version of the ride? I suppose it would be called Phantom Manor Holiday. Is Jack Skellington ever going to come across the Atlantic? I note with interest that a lot of posters over at the US forums hate HMH, while others love it. It must be poplar as I gather FP terminals are especially installed for the season.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    That is what I like about it. The red brick WDW HM is too clean, too well kept. I like how Pm has the air of Norman Bates' house. The approach is genuinely chilling - even in broad daylight. Remember that HM/PM is supposed to be like a haunted house from an old horror film (And PM predates Rollercoaster Tycoon so who copied who?!)

On a related topic - are we ever likely to get the Christmas version of the ride? I suppose it would be called Phantom Manor Holiday. Is Jack Skellington ever going to come across the Atlantic? I note with interest that a lot of posters over at the US forums hate HMH, while others love it. It must be poplar as I gather FP terminals are especially installed for the season.
    I see your point. Phantom Manor definitely has an air of creepiness that none of the Haunted Mansions measure up to. However, Tokyo Disneyland's facade looks abandoned and decrepit like Phantom Manor while still retaining the elaborateness of the Magic Kingdom's exterior. For me, it is the best facade among the Haunted Mansions.

And regarding Phantom Manor Holiday, perhaps it could use a Corpse Bride overlay instead of the Nightmare Before Christmas?

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast