Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Space Mt. Mission 2

I was wondering about Space Mt. Mission2 and what the differences are between the original and the new one. I was also wondering if it is a temporary overlay.

• is satisfactual.

Re: Space Mt. Mission 2

Let me give you two versions of this so you can come to a balanced conclusion.

From DLRP Magic:
    "From the Earth to the Moon was only the beginning. The mighty Columbiad cannon has been recharged to send you soaring further, faster and stronger than ever before, as you prepare to write a whole new chapter in Jules Verne's spectacular vision of space travel.
    After soaring past the moon and shooting through a series of thrilling near-misses with comets and meteors, you hit the edge of the universe and experience a heart-pounding Supernova explosion!"

From me:
    In an attempt to make some quick money out of a much-needed cleanup of Space Mountain, they managed to market their glorified spring cleaning as a whole new attraction. Taking out all the interesting period theming, they replaced it with something they were confident anyone with a three second attention span could understand. The on-ride soundtrack, a carefully orchestrated symphony that gave your journey its emotional charge and was as vital to the ride as sound is to a film, was replaced with something that I wouldn't want for a ring tone. They should have just dusted the rotten thing and left it alone.

• Minion

got it.

so in general Space Mountain : Mission 2 is a crap from Walt DIsney Imagineering .

But WDI did an awesome work on the DL Space Mountain .

• Pirate - G'har!

NO! I think this is unfair and unbalanced. SM:M2 is my favourite ride at DLRP, it's thrilling, it has great effects and it's incredible fun. IT IS NOT A PIECE OF CRAP! Mullholland Madness is a piece of crap, Primeval Whirl is a pile of crap. It's a great, fun ride. However, the soundtrack is (comparatively) utterly dire, when I should have a symphony orchestra pumping through my ears.

At the end of the day, they should have re-done the ride as FTETTM, it wouldn't have hurt and chances are it would have been astonishing, but M2 is still great fun and exciting, particularly on the amazing-view front row (ironically I think the new music would be better if they played it louder, as in R'n'RC louder, and the orchestral score at that level...*drools*).

Also, I think Buzz, Skywalker and Salinzki ruin any period theming in the land but sadly I can only see two of those being evicted in the near future

• Rock The World

I'm still in two minds about Mission 2. Many of the effects are great (I like the comet in particular), but it doesn't have any of the soul or character of Mission 1. And yes, the new soundtrack is pretty poor stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

The original was near perfection. Mission 2 is a shadow of it's former self. Love the swirling lights at the end, but not at the expense of the wonderful orchestral score DLTALL had.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Senior Minion

I rode the original SM years ago but have yet to ride M2

(I can never sneak away from NDJnr long enough! If he knew I was going on it he would want to come - I am currently putting his feet in manure every night in an effort to make him grow quicker!)
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 09-23-2007 at 11:09 AM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

You sicko, you utter sicko. How could you do that? How could you not ride M2? hehe. It would be SO easy to make SM:M2 into FTETTM again, of course they won't unless Disney releases a movie of the Verne book and it sees an oppertunity (it's unlikely I'll make my movie but maybe someone else will

SM M2 would be ok if the sound worked a little more reliably, the score was have a more orchestral kick to it.

I would love to see the original back. Fizzog you are right that Buzz and Skywalker don't match the Verne theming but that is a area issue. The soundtrack and visuals of SMM2 are an in ride theming issue which for me is a far greater theme.

I sometimes wonder if I just don't like change given my views on Captain Jack in POTC as well as SMM2.

I wonder what the orginal imagineers of SM think about mission 2. Let's start a campain to have it put back to how it was for the 20th aniversary...

• Minion

I feel Mission 2 is a dumbed down version of the original Space Mountain. From the Earth to the Moon was such a classic score and made the experience truly memorable. The removal of the Jules Verne theming and the addition of the new and hip soundtrack was a big mistake in my opinion. Discoveryland is close to a thematic mess with all the recent changes and additions. I want the old Discoveryland with the Jules Verne atmosphere back. I hate that Discoveryland has become a cheap amalgamation of semi-futuristic and uninspiring attractions like Buzz Lightyear and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Whereas Discoveryland used to be innovative and exciting, it now feels rather dull and flat. The background music near Space Mountain used to be so sweeping and now with the removal of all of the classic musical scores, many places are lifeless and bland. Discoveryland sure has down downhill since the addition of Space Mountain.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I feel Mission 2 is a dumbed down version of the original Space Mountain. From the Earth to the Moon was such a classic score and made the experience truly memorable. The removal of the Jules Verne theming and the addition of the new and hip soundtrack was a big mistake in my opinion. Discoveryland is close to a thematic mess with all the recent changes and additions. I want the old Discoveryland with the Jules Verne atmosphere back. I hate that Discoveryland has become a cheap amalgamation of semi-futuristic and uninspiring attractions like Buzz Lightyear and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience. Whereas Discoveryland used to be innovative and exciting, it now feels rather dull and flat. The background music near Space Mountain used to be so sweeping and now with the removal of all of the classic musical scores, many places are lifeless and bland. Discoveryland sure has down downhill since the addition of Space Mountain.
    'Tis true. As much as I enjoy Buzz Lightyear, for a simple and primitive love of shooting, Discoveryland as a whole has lost something significant. Space Mountain gave the place its heart, and now they've maliciously torn it out again. They ruined a brilliant piece of Imagineering real estate.

• Membre

We want Space Mountain : De la Terre à la Lune back !!!

• Pirate - G'har!

I wouldn't say any of the park is lifeless or flat, and I love Discoveryland loads, it's my favourite! But it could be SO much more

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    I wouldn't say any of the park is lifeless or flat, and I love Discoveryland loads, it's my favourite! But it could be SO much more
    That could be said for all of DLP or any Disney park for that matter if we were totally honest about it.
    Sadly Disney have stricter budgets than our imaginations!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast