Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Rat In Paris?

• Pirate - G'har!

Re: A Rat In Paris?

Yep, The Haunted Mansion and Country Bears, two of the world's biggest film franchises

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Yep, The Haunted Mansion and Country Bears, two of the world's biggest film franchises
    Hey! I quite enjoyed The Country Bears! (and I own both of those films on DVD).

Having not seen Ratatouille yet (it's not out for another two days in this country!), I can't comment on that particular film. However I am happy to come across as a Pixar-lover - because I am! Disney has used their films as a crutch for over a decade now and long may they reign (although I would love to see Disney animation come back up to speed and am confident that it might with JL at the helm). Anyway, what concerns me is not the building of movie-based rides but the youth of these films. As has already been pointed out, Ratatouille is still in nappies and has not proven its timelessness. I suspect that its popularity will live longer and stronger than that of Cars, but that movie already has Race Rally with Carsland to come.
    Finding Nemo remains Pixar's highest grosser and its 4 years old, so I suppose Crush can be forgiven, but there should be a 'cooling off period' between release of the film and going as far as building a ride based on it. It just shows that the Suits at the Disney parks are thinking in he short-term and assuming that all Pixar movies will be tomorrow's classics. Although I like it a lot, A Bug's Life hasn't proven to be particularly memorable but A Bug's Land remains. Saying that, by this arguement we should be chastising Muppets 3D and Honey I Shrunk the Kids filmset at MGM, one is based on characters hardly known and loved by today's youth and the other is based on a film which, again, is hardly seen as a classic now.

My other concern is that we get another Crush with a different name. Ratatouille was planned as the US version of Crush but now a rethink is surely in order.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

With most Disney parks I oppose shoe-horning of Pixar attractions but with a "movie" park it doesn't bother me at all. IMO WDS doesn't have a "theme"...it's just a collection of rides mostly related to movies. So they could add a dozen more Pixar rides if they wanted to...for me that would only improve the park, as long as the rides themselves were decent.

• Pirate - G'har!

But WDS does have a theme, it's themed as a movie studio, it never betrays that theme at any point, hence it's themed. Saying it doesn't have a theme is just giving up. At least WDI think it has a theme since they've added Hollywood Blvd. Read my WDS ideas post for what I think should be done...read it now!

• FuseMP

Quote Originally Posted by yesitsme View Post
    I don't really see what your getting at. People had heard of Pirates and haunted houses before POTC and the haunted mansion were built but those attractions were not based on films or tv. As you say, people have heard of the Yeti legend but there isn't a film or TV prog based on an out of control train running through Everest while being attacked by a Yeti. Please tell me if there is cos I'd love to see it!

My point is that EE had a huge effect on Animal Kingdoms' attendance without being based on an actual film or TV property, it was loosely based on a legend which has been around for hundreds of years and NOT a film which is still showing in cinemas and which has yet to prove it's longevity (word of the day toilet paper)
    You expect me to have a point? that may be expecting far too much

Anyway, I think what I was trying to get in some ways was that I dont think Pirates or HM would be built today as new attractions because they don't have a focus point character or way of marketing them; just a general premise.

If The Little Mermaid had never been made but Disney decided to make a ride which is supposed to be set underwater with animatronic mermaids and a singing crab, would anyone be overly excited? It's basically the same type of ride as pirates but with a different theme/premise, no main character to put a face to the ride. I don't think any of us would be bothered. But, if they were to make the Little Mermaid ride through that was on the DVD, we'd be gagging for it.

Pre Jack Sparrow there was very little Pirates merchandise, there still is very little Haunted Mansion merchandise. To me it's very clear to see the impact of adding a focus character like Sparrow to the ride when it comes to merchandising/advertising that ride. Sparrow isn't even in the DLP version but you can still see his effect on the ride's popularity in general. Before the opening of Everest (and Matterhorn) they were able to use the known existing character of the yeti as a marketing tool; you can't do that with a character that is new and noone knows.

A known face makes a HUGE difference so it's either use an exisitng Disney character which they own all the rights to and can merchandise, put in parades and do whatever they want with or pull in some other character that is very well known but have to work around any copyrights as well as have the danger that another place could make a very similar ride based on the same character; lets face it, there is nothing stopping Universal from using the popularity of the yeti caused by Everest and building a yeti ride twice as big just down the road.

And so that brings us to who do they use in their own library of characters that hasn't been used already and has the popularity and recognisability; and generally at the moment, thats the characters from Pixar. Incredibles is still begging for a E ticket to feature them, Bugs Life I agree will be overshadowed by the rest of their movies but Ratatouille I think will stand the test of time because it's a fantastic movie that will grow in classic stature as the years go on. I wouldn't be surprised if Enchanted isn't done in some way as well, it begs for something in Fantasyland or the Studios (so no doubt it will end up in tomorrowland).

As for the movie with and out of control train running through Everest while being attacked by a Yeti; it's only a matter of time.
    CoHost of the Dedicated to DLP Podcast, part of the MiceChat MicePod Network
    www.facebook.com/FuseMP
    www.twitter.com/FuseMP

• Pirate - G'har!

I agree the incredibles deserve a D-Ticket but not E. I'm telling you, read my imagineering post on WDS, they could go in Pixar studios! Curious? Please read it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12