• Coming soon...

Trip Report - 21st to 24th October 2007 - ToT testing with guests!

Hi everyone!

I'm back now from DLRP and proud to say everything was fantastic. I'll have pics and more details of the trip soon enough, but I'm fairly busy at the moment. First of all, an animal update!

Yes, the Phantom Dog and the POTC dog's keys have both returned to the rightful place. However, a donkey in POTC is missing! Yes, you can hear the 'eeyores' but no animal at all. Spooky!

Secondly, a little hint of things to come? Yesterday, I saw quite regularly, imagineers walking around and discussing changes to Adventure Isle. Two of them I overheard talking aobut the structural properties of the Isle. Changes coming soon? Maybe, maybe...

Space Mountain: Mission 2 - I'm prud to announce that it is in good condition. I went into SMM2 expecting a sub-par performance deterioration like many have said. In fact, I found it SMOOTHER, yes, smoother, than it was in 2005 when it opened! and 3 out of the 4 rides on it had the soundtrack working perfectly, albiet a little quiet above the screams! on the first time, when it didn't work (front row) I could clearly hear the music form other cars, but not in my speakers. Meh, not too bad. Also, the recoil on the cannon was busted, but, in its defense the cold frost may have been the cause of this, as my family's digital cameras weren't working due to the cold!
    All in all, SMM2 is still the best ride in the park.

More later....
    Last edited by Scorchio; 10-27-2007 at 02:42 AM.

• Lordofthemightybeasts

Re: Trip Report - 21st to 24th October 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Scorchio View Post
    Space Mountain: Mission 2 - I'm prud to announce that it is in good condition. I went into SMM2 expecting a sub-par performance deterioration like many have said. In fact, I found it SMOOTHER, yes, smoother, than it was in 2005 when it opened!
    Really? 'Cause I went on it numerous times last week and found it bumpier than ever. The turn after the sidewinder and the tongue loop in particular seemed almost dangerously rough.

Very interesting news about Adventure Isle too... I'm kind of torn between my desire for something new in the park and my hate for that franchise.

• Coming soon...

/\ yes, the tongue loop was rough, but only a bit. I also noted that the star effects in the mountain were more obvious than usual, which was interesting. In fact, the whole show inside was better, with more effects working. Actually, due to the cold, some effects worked too well. The smoke from the cannon was huge due to the cold air, and basically filled the entire cannon!

I have to say that Adv. Isle wise, I think it needs an overhaul, but not necessarily a Jack S. overhaul!

On a very negative note, the worst upkeep award has to go to Alice in Wonderland Labyrinth, which was horrible. The Queen animatronic was busted and dirty, and the paint chipped everywhere!

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAvenger View Post
    Very interesting news about Adventure Isle too... I'm kind of torn between my desire for something new in the park and my hate for that franchise.
    Maybe they just look a place for a toilet?
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

Did you ever get to ride Crush's Coaster, Scorchio? I remember you mentioning that you were going to skip it because you got motion sick easily (like me).
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Banned User

I will be at DLP on sunday the 28th... look for me if anyone is there this Sunday.

• Coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Did you ever get to ride Crush's Coaster, Scorchio? I remember you mentioning that you were going to skip it because you got motion sick easily (like me).
    I still didn't want to ride it when I got there, but my parents did. However, guess what. It broke down every time they went to check it out. When it was running, the queue was 2 hours long, and we had to catch our Taxi to the Airport in 1 hour! So, even if I wanted to, I couldn't have done it.

In fact, on the first day to the Studios, Rock n Rollercoaster, Tram Tour AND Crush all were down! Very disappointing. But I congratulate the Disney team for repairing RnRC and STT in under 10 mins!

Anyway, picture time!

DAY 1

Halloween.....SPOOKY

Arrived at the park at about 4 pm, having travelled since very early in the day! The weather was cold like hell, but great overcast sunshine across the whole park. Our first stop was Disneyland Park, as it's the best. Frist stop...POTC!

Pirates was closed last time we went, and so wanted to head straight there first, for the 1st of 3 rides on thsi great classic. I ahve to say upkeep of this ride was great this time round, with the exception of the missing donkey, and the octopus's broken tentacle (is open wire really safe near water ?!?!).

Next up, Space mountain! As said earlier, the ride was performing suprisingly well, but it presented us with a problem. THe smoothest rides comes in the very, very, very front seats. BUT, the soundtrack doesn't work in these (as I discovered). But, for our first ride, we chose front seats, and enjoyed the whole ride. Sure. the music wasn't working, but the effects and coaster are better at the front. I just had to listen closely to the music in rows further back. I would have bought an on-ride photo, but the cameras cut off the tops of my parents' heads

Clearly the cold made the smoke a little too thick.

Next, over to the ever popular BTM. Wow, wow, wow. That lengthy rehab last year was worth it! Whilst a little cold, the ride was better than ever. The dynamite scene had new smoke effects and lighting, and was fantastic. Shame about the now defunct waterfall ont he first lift hill.

Dark setting in...

Anyway, that was Day 1 park-wise. We then ate at Billy-Bob's (a family favourite) in the evening, and were too exhausted to do more rides that evening. All-in-all, an encouraging start!
    Last edited by Scorchio; 10-27-2007 at 03:01 AM.

• Senior Minion

The AA dogs were in tact but a POTC donkey was missing!!?

People may recall my unhealthy love of the park's AA donkeys and I find this development most disturbing. Most disturbing indeed.

Otherwise, great report!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Rock The World

Next, over to the ever popular BTM. Wow, wow, wow. That lengthy rehab last year was worth it! Whilst a little cold, the ride was better than ever. The dynamite scene had new smoke effects and lighting, and was fantastic. Shame about the now defunct waterfall ont he first lift hill.
    Don't worry - the effect is usually turned off in cold weather, as many guests complain of getting splashed and then having to sit in a shallow puddle of cold water for the remainder of the ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Membre

Thanks for pictures. Space Mountain looks great with thick smoke!

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Thanks for pictures. Space Mountain looks great with thick smoke!
    Yeah, the pic with the smoke is great!
    On both of my trips to DLRP (both were in January) the smoke has never been on. Is this because it's always broken or because they just don't run it in winter? Certainly looks fantastic in the cold weather, fingers crossed I'll get smoke on my next visit this coming January!
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
    Yeah, the pic with the smoke is great!
    On both of my trips to DLRP (both were in January) the smoke has never been on. Is this because it's always broken or because they just don't run it in winter? Certainly looks fantastic in the cold weather, fingers crossed I'll get smoke on my next visit this coming January!
    I think the smoke effect works, at least it works almost everytime I get there. IMO, someone just forget sometimes to switch the SMOKE EFFECT button ON.
    By the way, anyone else think DLP smoke smells good ???