Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Disney Village Refurb?

    Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I recently came upon a rumor that the Disney Village is getting a refurbishing next year. Now I don't know what this refurb will encompass, but there is supposedly a World of Disney store coming over there. It should be a welcome addition in my opinion, as I do not like the look of the current Disney Store over there.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  2. #2

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    They've been planning to put a World of Disney Store in that void that sits in front of the Gaumont theater for a while now (as shown in a scale model a while ago), but I believe it has been postponed. I suppose fixing the WDS is now their #1 priority, as it probably should be.

    It would be a very welcome addition, though. After the parks close, the current Disney Store is often the place where all the hotel guests come to kill time, so perhaps if the WoD store could take over some of that traffic they could finally close the old Disney Store for a much-needed rehab.

  3. #3

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Yes, a World of Disney store (if anything like the one at the Downtown Disneys) would indeed be leagues above the gaudy mess that is the Disney Store right now.

    And hopefully, once the Walt Disney Studios and Disney Village are finished, work will start soon after on Disneyland Paris (which, with the exception of Buzz, has been mostly neglected in the way of major improvements).
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  4. #4

    • Rock The World
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    820

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    The refurb of the Village depends largely on the success of the 15th anniversary celebrations. So far, things seem to have been going very well, so I'd expect an announcement to be made within the next six months. (Basically, once the Tower of Terror is up and running, and WDS is full of guests!)
    As Puss pointed out, the triangular patch of land in front of the Gaumont cinema is due to become the World Of Disney Store while a multi-storey ESPN Zone bar and nightclub will be built opposite it, alongside the parking structure.
    We should also be getting a new TGV (high speed train) terminal along that same stretch of boulevard.
    Meanwhile, back in the "main street" of the Village, we should expect (hope? pray?) to see some drastic esthetic improvements, with new flooring being laid, trees and flowerbeds being installed, and several of the (by that time) obsolete units being switched out for shiny new retail opportunities!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

  5. #5

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Meanwhile, back in the "main street" of the Village, we should expect (hope? pray?) to see some drastic esthetic improvements, with new flooring being laid, trees and flowerbeds being installed, and several of the (by that time) obsolete units being switched out for shiny new retail opportunities!
    What I'm praying for is that they finally hire a competent person to oversee those improvements. Some seasoned Imagineer who slept through the Pressler era. Because money doesn't buy taste, as we've seen lately in the DV "improvements".

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    I wouldn't mind seeing some designs taken from the elegant and upscale Ikspiari, which in my opinion has the best look out of the Disney "shopping centers". But even making it look more like Downtown Disney would still be a huge improvement over what's there right now.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  7. #7

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing some designs taken from the elegant and upscale Ikspiari, which in my opinion has the best look out of the Disney "shopping centers". But even making it look more like Downtown Disney would still be a huge improvement over what's there right now.
    I do love the deco facade their Disney Store has. But Ikspirari is a mall (designer stores and all), and a Japanese mall at that, whereas Disney Village has always tried to be more of a nightlife center, like Pleasure Island. I'm not saying it worked very well, but I'm just not sure that Caesars Forum Mall/Japanese pop culture-inflated mish mash style would work for Disney Village.

    The problem is really that there is nothing to build on. Like CA's Disneyland Hotel, this isn't something you can upgrade with a little trim and some new wallpaper. How do you fix a place that was built in a style that is no longer found desirable? How do you bring together those vast, concrete-and-metal Gehry buildings and a faux medieval castle? Short of imploding the whole thing?

    Also, the place remains an important thoroughfare, so closing it up or detracting from it aren't options at the moment. Which is why I personally think they should stop trying to "fix" it with gaudy paint jobs and new signage and instead focus on the expansions, which still have a shot in Hell. The IMAX theater turned out nicely, after all. Build that WoD store, that boardwalk along Lake Disney, finish that part and when that's all done, maybe they can close down the main street for a while and start a much needed placemaking project, as that's so wonderfully called.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I do love the deco facade their Disney Store has. But Ikspirari is a mall (designer stores and all), and a Japanese mall at that, whereas Disney Village has always tried to be more of a nightlife center, like Pleasure Island. I'm not saying it worked very well, but I'm just not sure that Caesars Forum Mall/Japanese pop culture-inflated mish mash style would work for Disney Village.

    The problem is really that there is nothing to build on. Like CA's Disneyland Hotel, this isn't something you can upgrade with a little trim and some new wallpaper. How do you fix a place that was built in a style that is no longer found desirable? How do you bring together those vast, concrete-and-metal Gehry buildings and a faux medieval castle? Short of imploding the whole thing?

    Also, the place remains an important thoroughfare, so closing it up or detracting from it aren't options at the moment. Which is why I personally think they should stop trying to "fix" it with gaudy paint jobs and new signage and instead focus on the expansions, which still have a shot in Hell. The IMAX theater turned out nicely, after all. Build that WoD store, that boardwalk along Lake Disney, finish that part and when that's all done, maybe they can close down the main street for a while and start a much needed placemaking project, as that's so wonderfully called.
    And with the Val d'Europe shopping center so close by, the Disney Village really looks poor in comparison.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,709

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I recently came upon a rumor that the Disney Village is getting a refurbishing next year. Now I don't know what this refurb will encompass, but there is supposedly a World of Disney store coming over there. It should be a welcome addition in my opinion, as I do not like the look of the current Disney Store over there.

    Well hello again.

    I think the entire refrub that ditched the city lights and abstract theme and went for the balloons and bright colors was a big mistake. The entire area is very tacky as it currently stands. Such a shame. You probablly know what I mean.

  10. #10

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Well hello again.

    I think the entire refrub that ditched the city lights and abstract theme and went for the balloons and bright colors was a big mistake. The entire area is very tacky as it currently stands. Such a shame. You probablly know what I mean.
    I know, right? It's like the concept was drawn up by some 12-year-old with a box of fluorescent crayons.

  11. #11

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    Well hello again.

    I think the entire refrub that ditched the city lights and abstract theme and went for the balloons and bright colors was a big mistake. The entire area is very tacky as it currently stands. Such a shame. You probablly know what I mean.
    I completely agree. And add on the fact that it is poorly maintained just makes it stick out like a sore thumb when compared to the infinitely more elegant Ikspiari and atmospheric Downtown Disneys. It could definitely do with a major refurb one of these days.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,291

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    By the way, forgot to post an interesting fact here. Did you know that Bon Voyage, the Tokyo Disney Resort equivalent of the World of Disney stores at the Downtown Disneys, was designed by Eddie Sotto? This was the very same person who was responsible for designing Disneyland Paris' wonderful Main Street, USA.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~


  13. #13

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Disney Village Refurb?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    By the way, forgot to post an interesting fact here. Did you know that Bon Voyage, the Tokyo Disney Resort equivalent of the World of Disney stores at the Downtown Disneys, was designed by Eddie Sotto? This was the very same person who was responsible for designing Disneyland Paris' wonderful Main Street, USA.
    Really... I love what I've seen of Bon Voyage. I mean, I love the '40s and I love suitcases, how can you go wrong.

    But I can't help but feel that that lovely "Disney Deco" style (also seen at TDR's Ambassador Hotel and Hong Kong's Hollywood Hotel) somehow belongs at the WDS. It would be the perfect style to compete with Disneyland Park's many Mictorian* stylings.


    *Yes, I hate that word too. But it does the job...

Similar Threads

  1. [News] New Starbucks in the Disney Village!
    By soundtracker in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 01:37 AM
  2. [Question] Disney Village
    By DisneyPlutoPal in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 07:21 AM
  3. Disney Village
    By WDW1974 in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-23-2006, 10:19 PM
  4. Disney Village - the future
    By soundtracker in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-06-2006, 01:11 AM
  5. The rebirth of Disney Village
    By soundtracker in forum Disneyland Paris
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 09:16 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •