• Sock Puppet

Question Why less fireworks for DLP?

I know they had Wishes and a few other minor firework shows before, but can someone please remind me why DLRP's fireworks shows are so minor relying more on castle projections than elaborate, big fireworks? Most of the fireworks seem to be low-level and minimal. I remember hearing something about restrictions they had with fireworks...but I'm not sure. WDS also has no form of nighttime entertainment and I dont think DLP currently has a fireworks show.

• May the F=ma be with you

Re: Why less fireworks for DLP?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWizard View Post
    I remember hearing something about restrictions they had with fireworks

Quote Originally Posted by Phonedave View Post
    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

I believe most of the restrictions are a result of the close proximity DLP is to the residents of town DL is located in. Unlike DL in CA which had no neighbors when they built it, there were already people living near the resort property. WDW is similar situation as the Anaheim resort in that there were no neighbors plus they have the added advantage of having such large property to dampen the sound.

There may be more reasons too but I believe the noise is a big factor.

• Banned User

For the record... when DLP opened, they used to present "Fantasia in the Sky", which was similar in scope and size to the old "Fantasy in the Sky" fireworks presented at DL and the MK, with high altitude pyro as they do at the MK or DL parks. How come restrictions were not a problem back then? Of course, I think the bitter moaning from residents nearby the park were the ones who caused effect in that regard. Still, on several holiday periods, it is my understanding DLP does great pyro shows...like on Bonfire nights.

• is satisfactual.

You're also dealing with different cultures and values, although that whole concept has never caused many a ripple on these boards. A nightly fireworks display like the MK's would probably never be allowed in France for environmental reasons alone.

• Membre

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    You're also dealing with different cultures and values, although that whole concept has never caused many a ripple on these boards. A nightly fireworks display like the MK's would probably never be allowed in France for environmental reasons alone.
    This is not true. There are a lot of fireworks everywhere in France. There are also fireworks festivals with huge fireworks even more spectacular than the ones produced at the MK (from what I saw in videos).

At DLRP it's a particular issue between the Disney management in Marne-la-Vallée and its neighbours, especially the closest village named Chessy. (have a look in Google Earth: look for Chessy, France).

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    This is not true. There are a lot of fireworks everywhere in France. There are also fireworks festivals with huge fireworks even more spectacular than the ones produced at the MK (from what I saw in videos).

At DLRP it's a particular issue between the Disney management in Marne-la-Vallée and its neighbours, especially the closest village named Chessy. (have a look in Google Earth: look for Chessy, France).
    Obviously there are fireworks, but is there any place where they have them every night?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I always think the lack of fireworks is more down to cost releated than being worried about upsetting the locals.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    For the record... when DLP opened, they used to present "Fantasia in the Sky", which was similar in scope and size to the old "Fantasy in the Sky" fireworks presented at DL and the MK, with high altitude pyro as they do at the MK or DL parks. How come restrictions were not a problem back then? Of course, I think the bitter moaning from residents nearby the park were the ones who caused effect in that regard. Still, on several holiday periods, it is my understanding DLP does great pyro shows...like on Bonfire nights.
    The problem was exactly the first fantasy in the sky. Peolpe started complaining about the noise coming from DLP. Then the mayor of Marne-la-Valee made a law that restricted the fireworks at DLP. No big shells during the year, except July 14 and New Years Eve. They can also made a big firework outside this dates if the mayor approves that exception (like the opening of the 15th celebration). As for the Bonfire, they are released at Lake Disney where this law isn't applied because of the distance from the villages. In 1994 they also released the summer fireworks there, when they used also the big shells.
    DLP - 1994 / 2002 / 2007 / 2010 / 2011 Annual Passport

WDW - 2006 / 2008 / 2009

According to my tourguide a couple of years ago, residents started complaining about the fireworks which were originally launched from behind the park (closest to the town). As a comproise Disney changed the launch sites a couple of times, firstly inside Fantasyland, but that requires shutting the land early and is therefore not ideal. They also tried launching from the entrance "arch" to Adventureland, this caused a few small fires but they have now been prevented by fire proofing the roof.

Its ironic (my tour guide said) as the town was built for (or predominantly used by) Disney employees, but over the years more "locals" have moved to the town.

• Pirate - G'har!

I did miss the big shells when I saw Wishes. Don't get me wrong, the show was great and wowing but it just lacked punch and a fantastic finale which it would have been improved 500% by. I'm back by the way

• Senior Minion

I too am back!

The issue is the noise surely. I would hate to live next to a place where there is constant banging at an ungodly hour of the night... oh, hang on - I live next door to students!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

Well if it is because of Ropers that's a bit annoying, justified maybe, but annoying. Still, DL is in the middle of a city, I don't gettit

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Well if it is because of Ropers that's a bit annoying, justified maybe, but annoying. Still, DL is in the middle of a city, I don't gettit
    The Ropers as in George and Mildred?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

No as in the Alton Towers Ropers lol