Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• ...or just Tonny

Disney's "adult" entertainment

Hi,

It seems that the type of entertainment Disney offers in its parks has varied a bit over time. In Anaheim, it all seemed to have started with very family friendly, happy and, dare I say, simple themes and stories. But during the 90's there was a period when Disney seemed to be working on more in-depth entertainment that clearly had a more adult aproach. After all, kids won't notice a very detailed storyline.

Disneyland Paris ia a very good example of this: Phantom Manor got a very complicated and less kid-friendly plot, Space Mountain was upgraded with a Jules Verne "artistic" bottom line instead of a simple ride in space.

It seemed to have gone further than that though: DAK has quite an elaborate theme. Kali River Rapids is not just exciting but teaches us about the value of the environment. Etc. etc.

Reflections of Earth at Epcot was quite artistic and adult-oriented as well.

But now we're living in 2007. These days, Disney has gone back to their "roots" of simple entertainment: Downgraded ToT's, Nemo rides at Epcot and Disneyland, Buzz Lightyear attractions etc.

Do you think this was a concious decision on Disney's part, or is this just a natural evolvement? I must say that I'm a bit dissapointed, because for me, it is the more in-depth attractions that made me a Disney fan. Is the time of such attractions realy over?
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

Re: Disney's "adult" entertainment

Nope. Go to Tokyo DisneySea. All the attractions have an elaborate backstory full of rich details and subplots that work perfectly together. It's without a doubt the true successor to the level of theming and attention to detail Disneyland Paris accomplished back in 1992. Sadly (like you mentioned), Disneyland Paris has gone downhill since 1995. It pains me to see such a great work of art be tarnished and ruined by glaring thematic flaws as a result of recent additions that are nowhere close to what the park's Imagineers used to achieve.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Crazy Furry

I have to agree with TDR_Fan, if you want the very well done attractions the TDR resort is constantly adding fantastic attractions. In my opinion so far they are the only one to make DCA's format of Tower actually great!

Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    Space Mountain was upgraded with a Jules Verne "artistic" bottom line instead of a simple ride in space.
    Only to be downgraded like no other as Mission 2, I swear they lost one of the best on-ride soundtracks for any coaster period. To put things plain and simple, as much as I like techno it just CANNOT match or beat something that would fit in a major motion picture!!!!
    Disney and Universal fan for life!...Shocking ain't it?
    Seize the future with X-S! Not Stitch.
    I'm not crazy, now if you will excuse me I have tea time with the ghosts at Haunted Mansion.

• Sock Puppet

Agreeing with you on all points.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by AE_Fan View Post
    Only to be downgraded like no other as Mission 2, I swear they lost one of the best on-ride soundtracks for any coaster period. To put things plain and simple, as much as I like techno it just CANNOT match or beat something that would fit in a major motion picture!!!!
    I completely agree. Mission 2 is just as generic as the other Space Mountain attractions bar the Columbiad launch. I miss the original version so badly, especially the Jules Verne storyline.

• Yo!

Downgraded ToT's
    If you're trying to use that as an example of a "downgraded" storyline, then I'm sorry but that's just a poor example, IMO. I've ridden both the DCA and MGM version, and while both versions are different, I didn't find the storyline lacking in either of them. If anything, that was the most consistent aspect of the two.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    If you're trying to use that as an example of a "downgraded" storyline, then I'm sorry but that's just a poor example, IMO. I've ridden both the DCA and MGM version, and while both versions are different, I didn't find the storyline lacking in either of them. If anything, that was the most consistent aspect of the two.
    I agree. The storyline in both Twilight Zone themed versions are on about equal footing, though MGM Studios' version has (arguably) the better set-up.

• ...or just Tonny

I realy didn't think DCA's Tower worked very well. For starters, it missed the introduction that the MGM version has with the overgrown gardens. The tower structure itself doesn't look as foreboding either, rather fake (although I guess this is just a matter of opinion). But the 5th dimension room, IMHO, is a very important aspect in the story, making it all that much more creepy.

But I do agree there are beter examples. I guess Space Mtn Mission 2 must be the best of them all
    Ad luna in flamma gloria

• Minion

I realy didn't think DCA's Tower worked very well. For starters, it missed the introduction that the MGM version has with the overgrown gardens. The tower structure itself doesn't look as foreboding either, rather fake (although I guess this is just a matter of opinion). But the 5th dimension room, IMHO, is a very important aspect in the story, making it all that much more creepy.
    I know I've mentioned this before, but I didn't think the 5th Dimension Room worked very well. I felt it was rather cheesy and boring, with the exception of the horizontal movement. But even that loses its appeal after a while, and I hate the track marks on the floor that are clearly visible. Ironically, it's just about the only thing visible in that scene as the few props in that room can barely be seen in the near pitch black darkness.

But to each their own, I suppose. I prefer the Mirror Scene over the 5th Dimension Room actually. I thought it was much more impressive. But I agree that the overgrown gardens at the beginning of the queue are great and add a lot of atmosphere.

Just so you know, an even more elaborate and grander version of the overgrown gardens are done at DisneySea's Tower of Terror, also acting as the exterior section of the queue before you enter the building. Called the Gardens of India, you are led down meandering pathways around exotic flora (some poisonous according to the little warning signs), creepy statues, and mysterious artifacts. It's all very detailed and very well done in my opinion. Oh, and the chilling and haunting background music (reminiscent of Phantom Manor) is just so moody and sets the tone perfectly for the upcoming (and supernatural) experience.

• Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by TDR_Fan View Post
    I know I've mentioned this before, but I didn't think the 5th Dimension Room worked very well. I felt it was rather cheesy and boring, with the exception of the horizontal movement. But even that loses its appeal after a while, and I hate the track marks on the floor that are clearly visible. Ironically, it's just about the only thing visible in that scene as the few props in that room can barely be seen in the near pitch black darkness.

But to each their own, I suppose. I prefer the Mirror Scene over the 5th Dimension Room actually. I thought it was much more impressive. But I agree that the overgrown gardens at the beginning of the queue are great and add a lot of atmosphere.
    Now's my turn to agree with you, lol. After thinking about it, I still think the storytelling on both versions is overall equal, but they both have their weak points. I agree that the 5th Dimension scene just didn't make sense at all. There was no indication of entering the twilight zone. All of a sudden you were moving out of the elevator shaft. IMO, the first time it was really cool, but after riding it multiple times it turned into a "WTF is happening?" kind of response. Still creepy, but not effective to the story at all.

DCA, however, cleared up a lot of those story gaps while on the ride. The whole Mirror Sequence works a lot better, and really startled me the first time I rode it. Originally I never noticed that after the elevator "shakes," your reflection in the mirror reveals a completely empty elevator. That creeped me out quite a bit!

To compare the two, I think that DCA does a better job at the storytelling while on the ride, but lacks a bit in the preshow because there's no build-up with the garden. MGM is just the opposite. Still, they're both equal in my book.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

If you don't stop agreeing, we'll move this to the debate thread.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

It's not just the parks, but the movies as well. Enchanted is a prime example of Disney going back to its roots.

I think this whole phenomenon is company wide. And I think it is a great thing. Because what made Disney unique in the first place were its unique rides and entertainment.

If the parks barrel forward without looking to its past for inspiration, I feel the parks risk turning into Magic Mountain. By remembering to base their future attractions on what made their original rides so special it can offer similar thrills but at a truly unique perspective seen nowhere else.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Hi,

It seems that the type of entertainment Disney offers in its parks has varied a bit over time. In Anaheim, it all seemed to have started with very family friendly, happy and, dare I say, simple themes and stories. But during the 90's there was a period when Disney seemed to be working on more in-depth entertainment that clearly had a more adult aproach. After all, kids won't notice a very detailed storyline.

Disneyland Paris ia a very good example of this: Phantom Manor got a very complicated and less kid-friendly plot, Space Mountain was upgraded with a Jules Verne "artistic" bottom line instead of a simple ride in space.

It seemed to have gone further than that though: DAK has quite an elaborate theme. Kali River Rapids is not just exciting but teaches us about the value of the environment. Etc. etc.

Reflections of Earth at Epcot was quite artistic and adult-oriented as well.

But now we're living in 2007. These days, Disney has gone back to their "roots" of simple entertainment: Downgraded ToT's, Nemo rides at Epcot and Disneyland, Buzz Lightyear attractions etc.

Do you think this was a concious decision on Disney's part, or is this just a natural evolvement? I must say that I'm a bit dissapointed, because for me, it is the more in-depth attractions that made me a Disney fan. Is the time of such attractions realy over?
    Disney is naturally evolving into a more complex entertainment mix. Adults and kids are more sophisticated than ever. Basic traditional education is lacking - but a hands on understanding of technogy has permiated the societies of the free world. If most people grasped both types of education, the world would be a far better place.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    It's not just the parks, but the movies as well. Enchanted is a prime example of Disney going back to its roots.
    Enchanted could also be seen as Disney 'wee-weeing' on it's legacy. Post modernism is sooo '90s!

From what I hear, Enchanted is let down by some pretty shoddy animation during the bookending scenes - hardly surprising as they had to farm the work out after sacking their animators!

Seriously though, Enchanted is to my mind the opposite of Disney getting back to its roots - its Disney moving with the times. A good thing, by the way!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Enchanted could also be seen as Disney 'wee-weeing' on it's legacy. Post modernism is sooo '90s!

From what I hear, Enchanted is let down by some pretty shoddy animation during the bookending scenes - hardly surprising as they had to farm the work out after sacking their animators!

Seriously though, Enchanted is to my mind the opposite of Disney getting back to its roots - its Disney moving with the times. A good thing, by the way!
    I wasn't satisfied with the quality of animation in "Enchanted", either.
    Even the CGI animation for the Dragon was rather pitifull compared
    to what Pixar could have done. Plus, It would have been neat to
    see what Pixar could come up with. Anyone think there is the
    SLIGHTEST possibility, with the success of Enchanted, that they
    will redo the animated portions over, in order to truely make it
    a Disney Movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast