Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Making of Le Visionarium Video from 1990s

I've always been quite fascinated with the amount of research and development that went into several of the attractions (and the park itself) of Disneyland Paris, and I just came across this pre-opening video that shows how the Le Visionarium attraction was filmed and created. It is very interesting, and features many of the important scenes not featured in the American version "The Timekeeper" and several interviews with the actors.

In French and English (embedding was disabled)

Part 1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YJiS_UiV1w
    Part 2:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC_2LRzmoZg
    Part 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxXGitRfZac

I was most impressed with the filming of the scene in Moscow, and the giant Mickey balloon just steps away from Lenin's Mausoleum and Soviet Soldiers.

I have been wondering where this program was shown, it is very interesting. It reminded me of the BBC2 documentary from 1995 on Space Mountain that was also made in the same style, but much longer.

• is satisfactual.

Re: Making of Le Visionarium Video from 1990s

Thanks for the link. Also, make sure to check out this user's videos on the Hyperion, the castle windows, the castle tapestries, the railroad and the Swiss Family Treehouse.

It really is mind-blowing how much energy went into Euro Disneyland, and slightly sad to think how much of that energy now seems to have been in vain. Note for instance how one of the creators of the Hyperion is convinced that his fake Victorian balloon is going to be this huge, revolutionary thing, while in reality I'm sure many people walk underneath it without giving it more than a glance.

But at least there are people like us to appreciate their vigor, haha.

• Minion

So lamentable what they have done to Discoveryland in recent years..."Buzz" being the worst of these changes since it will be the hardest to reverse. And even more senseless when they have park next door which is need of rides and where Buzz would not have ruined the theme.

• Hitchhiker

I'd say SM2 was even worse change.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I'd say SM2 was even worse change.
    Buzz destroys the image and theme of Discoveryland far more than Mission 2 in my opinion. Space Mountain may have lost its charm and Vernian storyline, but it's still thematically an integral part of Discoveryland due to its distinct structure.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Hitchhiker

True that Le Visionarium was soul of Discoveryland and I feel sorry it's gone. But killing +100mil. € attraction is just plain idiocy.

Together they made a story. But now there's no story to be told in Discoveryland. Besides Star Tours and the Legend of Lion King I've got no reason to visit this part of park. It's a mess.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

True that Le Visionarium was soul of Discoveryland and I feel sorry it's gone. But killing +100mil. € attraction is just plain idiocy.

Together they made a story. But now there's no story to be told in Discoveryland. Besides Star Tours and the Legend of Lion King I've got no reason to visit this part of park. It's a mess.
    I personally think Star Tours is outdated and a bit out of place in Discoveryland as well. Oh, and Honey, I Shrunk the Audience has got to go! No place at all in Discoveryland.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Hitchhiker

But still Star Tours has more ambience than most Discoveryland... unless you use fastpass, which makes crime to this attraction.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• is satisfactual.

True that Le Visionarium was soul of Discoveryland and I feel sorry it's gone. But killing +€100mil. attraction is just plain idiocy.

I agree. There are enough remnants of the old Discoveryland to finish the story in your mind, but on its own it's a big old mess.

I just wish they had at least made the Buzz facade a little more Victorian. Then it could have passed and the area would have continued to make a little sense.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I agree. There are enough remnants of the old Discoveryland to finish the story in your mind, but on its own it's a big old mess.

I just wish they had at least made the Buzz facade a little more Victorian. Then it could have passed and the area would have continued to make a little sense.
    A sort of Victorian/modern approach to the Buzz exterior would be very interesting. Making the outside look like some sort of clockwork toy factory sort of thing would have been great - and of course far outside the vision of today's imagineers seemingly.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Minion

^^^ Star Tours and HISTA were never really thematically consistent but at least they were tucked away in the back.

I don't blame the imagineers but rather the company bigwigs who would sacrifice theme just to port some popular franchise.

• is satisfactual.

Star Tours has never bothered me in Discoveryland. Not sure why. Perhaps it's the lesser of a heap of evils.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    A sort of Victorian/modern approach to the Buzz exterior would be very interesting. Making the outside look like some sort of clockwork toy factory sort of thing would have been great - and of course far outside the vision of today's imagineers seemingly.
    Indeed.

• Senior Minion

There has to be a delicate balance between theming and marketability but Buzz tips the balance to infinty and beyond (see what I did there?!). I actually like the theming of Buzz both internally and externally but is does indeed jar with the surrounding land. HISTA's facade is pretty bland and inoffensive (a little like the attraction itself) as it was built to house a ever-changing show (two films in 15 years? There may be an overdue overhaul there!) and I always thought that Star Tours was pretty close to the Discoveryland theme while remaining obviously Lucasonian (?).
    The whole land seems to now have been bastardised beyond repair and while a show that belongs in Adventureland (or Fantasyland at least) plays there, Discoveryland continues to stumble around looking to regain its former glory.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

The score is beautiful.

Disney does not make attractions like this anymore. I miss these type of attractions. No Pixar, no Stitch, and no prodcut tie ins. It's an original story that sticks true to Discoveryland and the educational, visionary hope that a Tomorrowland once was.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 12-05-2007 at 05:00 PM.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    There has to be a delicate balance between theming and marketability but Buzz tips the balance to infinty and beyond (see what I did there?!). I actually like the theming of Buzz both internally and externally but is does indeed jar with the surrounding land. HISTA's facade is pretty bland and inoffensive (a little like the attraction itself) as it was built to house a ever-changing show (two films in 15 years? There may be an overdue overhaul there!) and I always thought that Star Tours was pretty close to the Discoveryland theme while remaining obviously Lucasonian (?).
    The whole land seems to now have been bastardised beyond repair and while a show that belongs in Adventureland (or Fantasyland at least) plays there, Discoveryland continues to stumble around looking to regain its former glory.
    I think I may be one of those awful people who thinks that everything Disney did before 1995 = good and everything after that = bad. But I suppose the reason why I don't have a real problem with the Lion King either is that Videopolis was never a true Discoveryland player. Before TLK, it housed Beauty and the Beast and Mulan -- not the most futuristic of shows. It appears to have been built as a catch-all venture for shows requiring technology more advanced than the Chaparral and the Fantasy Festival Stage could offer, not as a specific Discoveryland theater. Which is hard for Disney fans to swallow, I know, haha. Only a Fantasyland CM walking through Adventureland could cause a bigger outrage.

HISTA however... It would sooner appeal to me if they brought back Captain EO. And I hate Michael Jackson, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast