Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• is satisfactual.

The Walt Disney Company to the rescue?

Okay, so my French n'est pas très fabuleux, so I might have misinterpreted this post (La Rouquine, 4th post) and it could have been about bear baiting or crochet or New England leaf peeping.

But from what I understand, this apparently very reliable member is saying that there is a very good chance that the Walt Disney Company will invest in DLRP in the next few years, mirroring the current DCA fixer upper plan.

If that does indeed happen, then that's pretty big news, right? I don't believe TWDC has really invested in Euro Disney since it almost went bankrupt in '94. Not in any substantial manner at least.

Re: The Walt Disney Company to the rescue?

Wouldn't Hong Kong Disneyland needs to be resure more? It's the only park still losing money.

The Walt Disney Company has the capacity and the money to buy Euro Disney SAS and pay the debt to the French Bank and then it would be a way better because The Walt Disney Company would maintain Park quality and stuff better than it is now .

i think because of the Debt the WDC don't want to takeover Euro Disney SAS . But WDC can always help Disneyland Paris to open more Budget Line whenever they want .

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Okay, so my French n'est pas très fabuleux, so I might have misinterpreted this post (La Rouquine, 4th post) and it could have been about bear baiting or crochet or New England leaf peeping.

But from what I understand, this apparently very reliable member is saying that there is a very good chance that the Walt Disney Company will invest in DLRP in the next few years, mirroring the current DCA fixer upper plan.

If that does indeed happen, then that's pretty big news, right? I don't believe TWDC has really invested in Euro Disney since it almost went bankrupt in '94. Not in any substantial manner at least.
    More or less. La Rouquine (God bless 'im!) says that EuroDisney SAS and The Walt Disney Company are currently discussing the possibility of a massive new investment plan for the French resort. A lot of the people he's spoken to seem to agree that this would be the best way forward, although the investment programme wouldn't be on the same scale as DCA's - but if it all goes ahead, we could well be seeing several new E-tickets, as well as a glut of C and D-tickets arriving between now and 2012.
    Last edited by soundtracker; 12-30-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I believe DLRP has been set a number of targets to reach over the next few years. If the recent Anniversary and new attractions increases attendance to the figure that has been set, than a second phase of attractions will be green lighted for the Resort. As this years attendance has been very good, I think its safe to assume the Resort is on target to reach the figures set for them.

The difference with DCA and its expansion plan is that despite the park failing to reach its estimated annual attendance each year, the suscess of the rest of the Resort helps cover the lost that is made here.

• is satisfactual.

So they have to meet a set of targets first? At that rate, we won't see a new ride before 2012. Which may be bad for attendance in itself (back to the "gap years" of drawing people in with coasters going backwards!)

But I sure hope it goes through, and soon. DLRP could use a fixer upper -- and I'm not even talking about any Splash Mountains or new hotels. It needs "attention" in general; Disney Village needs a stylist, the Newport Bay Club needs a carpenter, the Santa Fe needs an electrician and even the parking lot facilities could use a little work. A resort this big needs to be able to splurge on such improvements every once in a while or it dilapidates into Coney Island. I mean, they even sandblast the city of Paris every now and then.

See how frugal I am with all this hypothetical money ED is getting? They should put me in charge.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 12-30-2007 at 05:13 AM.

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    Wouldn't Hong Kong Disneyland needs to be resure more? It's the only park still losing money.
    No, DLRP is currently also losing money. Last month we got financial result of 2007 and it was € 40 million on red.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Hitchhiker

I belive French laws permit TWDC to own maximum 50% of the company.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

I don't believe TWDC has really invested in Euro Disney since it almost went bankrupt in '94. Not in any substantial manner at least.
    Puss. I think TWDC invested $100 million as part of the 2004/5 $250 million restructure that brought us Crush and TOT. I'm not a financial expect but I think this is what this artical is saying.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

I also read on the shareholders pages of the Disneyland Paris web site that there are certain conditions placed on the company in terms of financial performace and the companies ability to borrow. So it could be the only way for the management to invest in the a park is to secure funding from the TWDC.

It is certain that there is a lot more debt then would be ideal. Although the fact they are making an operating profit would suggest that this debt is being paid off now. I also think there is a sizable payment made to the TWDC for the use of the Characters etc so it could be that things are not quite as bad as we think. After all it is a basic rule of company finance to avoid paying corporate tax by makeing a loss. E.g. Pay TWDC $90million (guess figure) in character rights. It looks like you've made a loss but the group overall makes a profit.

Let's not forget too that if the TWDC invests in new rides some of the investment comes straight back to WDI as part of the costs.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Obsessive View Post
    Puss. I think TWDC invested $100 million as part of the 2004/5 $250 million restructure that brought us Crush and TOT. I'm not a financial expect but I think this is what this article is saying.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all

I also read on the shareholders pages of the Disneyland Paris web site that there are certain conditions placed on the company in terms of financial performance and the companies ability to borrow. So it could be the only way for the management to invest in the a park is to secure funding from the TWDC.

It is certain that there is a lot more debt then would be ideal. Although the fact they are making an operating profit would suggest that this debt is being paid off now. I also think there is a sizable payment made to the TWDC for the use of the Characters etc so it could be that things are not quite as bad as we think. After all it is a basic rule of company finance to avoid paying corporate tax by making a loss. E.g. Pay TWDC $90million (guess figure) in character rights. It looks like you've made a loss but the group overall makes a profit.

Let's not forget too that if the TWDC invests in new rides some of the investment comes straight back to WDI as part of the costs.
    Hmmm, it's quite complicated, this Euro Disney business, is it not. So back in '04, the parks were doing really bad (compared to today at least) and Disney chose to forgo a number of payments it was entitled to and chipped in €100 million. But that's not a regular thing, is it?

And this hypothetical sum Disney would invest in the coming years would be less of a dramatic keeping-the-creditors-at-bay sort of situation but more of an investment in the growth of the resort, from what I understand.

Hmmm, it's quite complicated, this Euro Disney business, is it not.
    You are not wrong there! There are companies owned by companies and lowns upon loans.

I think the interesting thing here is why the Mother company would invest heavly over here. I guess Karl would have to (or hopefully has) convince them that to continue the growth he has already started the parks need continued investment. Now he could argue that with the hotels getting close to max occupancy it time to build more. We saw some rumours a while back about an additional hotel and we've not heard much about the Nature project.

Is another ride going to grow attendance? I really don't know. Or is it the case they are planning to the 20th aniversary now?

So the timeline mentioned I think was an annoucement in the next 3 months. Could it be that is being planned for the Shareholders meeting in Feb?

I love these rumours. We should keep a log of those that come true...I be impressed at a hit rate of 20%. Still all good fun!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DLRP_bopazot View Post
    The Walt Disney Company has the capacity and the money to buy Euro Disney SAS and pay the debt to the French Bank and then it would be a way better because The Walt Disney Company would maintain Park quality and stuff better than it is now .
    I can't speak for how DLRP is maintained, as I have yet to visit it. Disneyland is a very well maintained and clean park, it isn't perfect, but of all the American Disney parks, it is the cleanest and best maintained. Disney's California Adventure is currently a crappy park, but at least it is clean and well maintained.
    WDW, is a different story. Animal Kingdom, MGM, and EPCOT are fairly clean and well maintained for the most part, but the Magic Kingdom is a nightmare. The Magic Kingdom is a very, very, trashy park by Disney standards. There are bathrooms were most of the sinks don't work. The attraction mainteance is horrible. Space Mountain is so rickety, it is practically unridable. Audio-animatronics sound like they are about to fall apart, and there is horrible audio throughout the park.
    If WDC bought DLRP, hopefully they won't let the people that manage the Magic Kingdom have anything to do with it.

• is satisfactual.

I love these rumours. We should keep a log of those that come true...I be impressed at a hit rate of 20%. Still all good fun!
    Well, it's always wise to remain skeptical. But I try not to go around posting random rumors, or we'd all be talking about any of 100 E-tickets DLP is supposed to get by April, haha. This Rouquine person just happens to have a good track record, I've noticed. He recently foresaw the new turnstile at the WDS amidst a landslide of rumors and knew when every little thing surrounding Hollywood Boulevard would be unveiled. He's obviously not just another attention-seeking I-know-an-Imagineer-type person. But I could be flat out wrong, obviously.

Well, it's always wise to remain skeptical. But I try not to go around posting random rumors, or we'd all be talking about any of 100 E-tickets DLP is supposed to get by April, haha. This Rouquine person just happens to have a good track record, I've noticed. He recently foresaw the new turnstile at the WDS amidst a landslide of rumors and knew when every little thing surrounding Hollywood Boulevard would be unveiled. He's obviously not just another attention-seeking I-know-an-Imagineer-type person. But I could be flat out wrong, obviously.
    Well Puss, if Rouquine get your vote then he/she gets mine too. I didn't mean any offence or to suggest you're a ramdom rumour poster. (RRP hey that could catch on)

• is satisfactual.

Well Puss, if Rouquine get your vote then he/she gets mine too. I didn't mean any offence or to suggest you're a ramdom rumour poster. (RRP hey that could catch on)
    Oh none taken obviously. But time will tell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast