Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do we love DLRP too much to enjoy it?

A strange title I know. Here's my train of thought.

We (well me anyway) are passionate about DLRP to the point that we know each ride in detail...can tell when any change is made. Like the cat on the box in POTC being removed I suspect for maintainance. And are not happy when a change is not for the better. I, for one, am unhappy at the change of paper towels to hot air to dry hands in some of the toilets and think this is a cost saving measure that lowers the quality experiance.

And then I think....for god sake it is a theme park...get over it. So does all this passion mean we now don't enjoy the Parks as much as those that are fresh to the park?

I am not saying that is wrong to care about the park. I just worry that I complain more that I stand in wonder.

Help me with my internal conflict!

• is satisfactual.

Re: Do we love DLRP too much to enjoy it?

I think some of us may be too nostalgic to fully enjoy it; too in love with a certain memory that we desperately cling onto. I'm certainly in that category. It's sort of like an addiction where you spend the rest of your days trying to relive that first high. This probably occurs more at DL than anywhere else (people who want the parking lot back, that sort of thing), but it also happens at DLRP, where an Imagineering masterpiece has been under all sorts of fire in its 16 years of operation.

Those paper towels for example... I'm not sure paper towels are really something to be enthusiastic about (although I do like the Brawny man), but they're something we associate with a day at DLRP, so our hearts skip a beat when we find out it's gone.

Another example are the large red benches with the white stars which could be found near Lake Disney from 1992 until last month, when they were replaced with wrought iron benches. Were those old benches really all that good? Probably not. But I miss them already.

Of course, most of that is based on a very real decline, such as the quality of the merchandise or the twinkly lights that were never replaced or the friendliness of the Cast Members... But I for one sometimes find myself walking through DLP in the manner of an inspector, and that can't be a good way to experience the place.

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I for one sometimes find myself walking through DLP in the manner of an inspector, and that can't be a good way to experience the place.
    I think the inspector role is a good way of putting it. I found myself picking up an empty coke bottle on Main Street on my last visit. The idea of leaving it there was just too much.

I wish I knew how much the management of DLRP looked at this forums to see what people are saying. I hope that they do and our comments about quality are taken on board. I suspect that the larger imagineering issues of WDS or the decline of Space Mountain etc come down to financials over art and unfortunately for the moment financials are the bigger issue.

My first visit was not until 2002. Did I miss the best years of the park?

I gonna try and look at wonder again when I go to the Shareholders event in Jan.

• ..but you can call me Pam

Were the paper towels special in some way?

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Obsessive View Post
    My first visit was not until 2002. Did I miss the best years of the park?
    Indeed you did - 1992 - 1995 were the best, then again in 199, and they have started to come back up again for the 15th.

When the park first opened up, there was entertainment everywhere (like DL in California). And the fireworks were enormous (before the local politicians put a stop to that). The shops all had unique merchandise - at Main St Motors they had several classic cars that were actually for sale. A Barber Shop Quartet would serenade you while you had your straight razor shave. And like in the US, you could buy a cut out sillouette too. In the Adventureland Bazaar, they had carpet weavers and people making brass plates and ceramic pots.

There were real cancan dancers performing in the Lucky Nugget. And shootouts in the streets. And you could paddle a real canoe through the rivers of the far west, as well as buy custom wood carvings in the Critter Corral, as well as native American Indian matterials. And the indian village at the front had a full exhibition.

In Adventureland the pirates would fence on the deck of the ship. And African drummers would entertain. And the Explorer's Club was a table service restaurant with live entertainment of the explorers from around the globe.

Fantasyland has not changed too much, except you could buy unbirthday cakes near the teacups and decorate them yourself if you wished.

In Discoveryland, the flames (real fire) would dance on the fountains at the entrance. And Chewbacca, Ewoks, and C3PO could often be found walking around.

Plus I always would prefer MSEP to Fantisnoozian!

Dining was more unique as well both in the park and the village (I cannot believe how much they dumbed down the Deli).

So to me, DLP was almost perfect in 1992. And then Space Mountain and the Nautilus put it over the top.

To me attractions are important, but it has always been the mix of theme, attractions, dining, unique shopping, and entertainment with subtle education that makes it the best ever.

The reliance on rubberheads, pins, cuddlies and the same pirates/princess gear is killing the magic for me.

So I would say you have never experienced the truly magical DLP, but the 15th shows a lot of promise, coupled with the additions to WDS.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by davewasbaloo View Post
    Indeed you did - 1992 - 1995 were the best, then again in 199, and they have started to come back up again for the 15th.

When the park first opened up, there was entertainment everywhere (like DL in California). And the fireworks were enormous (before the local politicians put a stop to that). The shops all had unique merchandise - at Main St Motors they had several classic cars that were actually for sale. A Barber Shop Quartet would serenade you while you had your straight razor shave. And like in the US, you could buy a cut out sillouette too. In the Adventureland Bazaar, they had carpet weavers and people making brass plates and ceramic pots.

There were real cancan dancers performing in the Lucky Nugget. And shootouts in the streets. And you could paddle a real canoe through the rivers of the far west, as well as buy custom wood carvings in the Critter Corral, as well as native American Indian matterials. And the indian village at the front had a full exhibition.

In Adventureland the pirates would fence on the deck of the ship. And African drummers would entertain. And the Explorer's Club was a table service restaurant with live entertainment of the explorers from around the globe.

Fantasyland has not changed too much, except you could buy unbirthday cakes near the teacups and decorate them yourself if you wished.

In Discoveryland, the flames (real fire) would dance on the fountains at the entrance. And Chewbacca, Ewoks, and C3PO could often be found walking around.

Plus I always would prefer MSEP to Fantisnoozian!

Dining was more unique as well both in the park and the village (I cannot believe how much they dumbed down the Deli).

So to me, DLP was almost perfect in 1992. And then Space Mountain and the Nautilus put it over the top.

To me attractions are important, but it has always been the mix of theme, attractions, dining, unique shopping, and entertainment with subtle education that makes it the best ever.

The reliance on rubberheads, pins, cuddlies and the same pirates/princess gear is killing the magic for me.

So I would say you have never experienced the truly magical DLP, but the 15th shows a lot of promise, coupled with the additions to WDS.
    I'm with you there all the way... To be honest, I doubt we'll ever see antique cars, carpet weavers and flaming water again, even if attendance and sales should skyrocket. The mentality has changed, sadly.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I'm with you there all the way... To be honest, I doubt we'll ever see antique cars, carpet weavers and flaming water again, even if attendance and sales should skyrocket. The mentality has changed, sadly.
    Yep, and this is why I am no longer an obsessive defender of all things Disney. I really miss old school Disney, with a vengance.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Obsessive View Post

And then I think....for god sake it is a theme park...get over it. So does all this passion mean we now don't enjoy the Parks as much as those that are fresh to the park?
    This is a tricky question... Yes, I believe we do care too much and that may get in the way of enjoying the parks. However, our passion also means we expect the best from Disney and that is the reason why we love it so much in the first place. Besides, someone has to keep Disney in check when they slip in the quality department and who is better suited to do this than the discriminating fans? So I personally do not make any apologies for my obsessive love of Disney parks.

Lastly, like you said.."It's a theme park, get over it". Well... I would get over it if it didn't cost so much to enjoy a day there. But because Disney parks have become pricey, I will hold it against them when they do not deliver the best product they can offer. So NO, in regards to Disney, I will continue to expect entertainment and quality that surpasses the others. Or else, I won't allow Disney to BS me with all this "we are the best" PR talk.

Quote Originally Posted by 071755 View Post
    Were the paper towels special in some way?
    Well...only in that they worked...unlike the majority of the Hot Air Dryers that I came across in the resort when I visited in November. I was really talking about the cost cutting that does not seem significant in small parts but is reducing the quality feel of the park. Not that DLRP is alone here I see alot of comments in the same vein about WDW also.

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    This is a tricky question... Yes, I believe we do care too much and that may get in the way of enjoying the parks. However, our passion also means we expect the best from Disney and that is the reason why we love it so much in the first place. Besides, someone has to keep Disney in check when they slip in the quality department and who is better suited to do this than the discriminating fans? So I personally do not make any apologies for my obsessive love of Disney parks.

Lastly, like you said.."It's a theme park, get over it". Well... I would get over it if it didn't cost so much to enjoy a day there. But because Disney parks have become pricey, I will hold it against them when they do not deliver the best product they can offer. So NO, in regards to Disney, I will continue to expect entertainment and quality that surpasses the others. Or else, I won't allow Disney to BS me with all this "we are the best" PR talk.
    Right on Brother!

You are right of course that Disney do need to understand that the slips in quality and increases in pricing are affecting the "Magic". I do wonder if they really belive their own hype. I have seen Shareholder presentations that claim high satisfaction ratings even though you and I know that quality is slipping.

So we seem to be agreed that some of our enjoyment is being replaced with a passion to see the parks live up to the quality brand Disney himself built. I guess then the question moves on. Does our chat in these forums have any real effect. Does the Mouse have ears?
    Last edited by Disney Obsessive; 01-01-2008 at 03:03 PM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Its an interesting debate this and we can all be guilty of it. We obviously all enjoy the parks even if some of us view them in a differnt light to others. Its only because we care, and is it really so wrong to write on here or visit City Hall to complain about how rubish the food is at the Blue Lagoon Resturant, or pick up if you spot something not working right on one of the rides. We pay top buck to visit the parks and stay in those over priced hotels, its our given right!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    is it really so wrong to write on here or visit City Hall to complain about how rubish the food is at the Blue Lagoon Resturant, or pick up if you spot something not working right on one of the rides.
    Marlin

I don't think there is anything wrong is caring about the parks. I just worry sometimes I am cheating myself of the magic of all the things that are so right about DLRP.

But I don't kid myself that in some area things that are very bad...But I now beginning to think that I'd like to be more effective in the way I raise the issues I find. When you've complained at City Hall do you think you get anywhere or are just plicated?

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Hey Disney Obsessive its Malin not Marlin

When it comes to complaining about the parks I like to take a mental note and continue to enjoy my time at the parks. Upon arriving home than I'll pop a quick e-mail of to Disney and as I'm aware Disney do check out sites like Micechat so any issues I find will be repeated on here for them and others to see.

• Minion

Davewasbaloo, I enjoyed reading your post about what's been cut at DLP. Even if it's a little off topic, could you (or anyone else) write a similar summary of what's changed at the Magic Kingdom over the years? I would love to know...aside from my recent trips my only other visit to MK was as a kid so my memory of such things is not so good.

• Banned User

Marlin.. I kinda like it. Marlin it will be from now. I encourage others to do the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast