Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

How is the mainteance and cleanliness compared to the Magic Kingdom.

I have heard some complaints about the mainteance and cleanliness in DLRP. My recent WDW trip (12/12-12/20) found the Magic Kingdom in a horrendous state of disrepair. It was very trashy, audio was horrible, it almost sounded like some audio-animatronics were going to fall apart, Space Mountain was so dilapidated it was almost unrideable, and there were bathrooms where most of the sinks didn't work. I was wondering how DLRP was in regards of cleanliness and mainteance in comparasion to the Magic Kingdom. I have heard that DLRP has improved in this regards during it's 15th anniversary celebration.

• Hitchhiker

Re: How is the mainteance and cleanliness compared to the Magic Kingdom.

I found DLP very clean and mostly in good condition. Only Robinsons treehouse and part of Fantasyland were shabby. Space Mountain 2 and POTC need more maintenance. Otherwise the park was fine.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

DLP was pretty bad a few years ago, but for the 15th, things have really improved. the toilets can be pretty gross, but in the main, it is better.

Now having endured some real maintanance nightmares over the years, we went to WDW in December 2006. We were disgusted with the state of the MK, it was filthy, and the attractions were in a terrible state. I was kind of ok, but it didn't feel like Disney to me.

we then went to DLP in June this year, and for the first time since 1992, DLP was in a better state than the MK. Unbelievable!

And everyone in Europe who doesn't know better thinks the MK is better than DLP (heck I know a lot of people who think it's the original!!!!).

For me DL is the best park, followed by WDW. But at the mo, I don't know if I ever care to step foot in the Mk again. Sad state of affairs really.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• Banned User

Tokyo is the best followed by California. But WDW and DLRP borderline one another. Hong Kong is still pretty new.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I've always found the Magic Kingdom to be a better maintened park to both the DLP and WDS. I could clearly see issues and problems every where I walked on my last trip in September. I have never personally notice it that bad at the Magic Kingdom before.

• is satisfactual.

I think the weather also plays a certain part here. DLP's fall and winter seasons can't be very helpful in the fight against mildew, not to mention how things tend to look a lot shinier when it's sunny.

• Banned User

I do agree weather does play a important factor here, but lets also take into account that the Tokyo Disney Resort is also open to some extreme weather itself but is often voted the best maintened by Disney park fans. Also we should mention the age difference between both parks.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    I do agree weather does play a important factor here, but lets also take into account that the Tokyo Disney Resort is also open to some extreme weather itself but is often voted the best maintened by Disney park fans. Also we should mention the age difference between both parks.
    Tokyo, yes, but Tokyo is in a league of its own, is it not. They have money and Japanese guests who don't think to litter. Tokyo will win any match when it comes to cleanliness.

DLP needs to improve its maintenance department, yes. But TDL it will never be (and in my humble opinion doesn't need to be, because that would be insane). Let's set the goal somewhere nearer DL. The same goes for WDW as far as I'm concerned.

• Banned User

Where do you get the impression the TDR has money. Just because the attractions are kept in great condition and the parks are clean it doesn't mean the park hasn't been cutting back on its operations over the years. The OLC are just better at hiding the cutbacks than what Disney have been.

My biggest problem with the Paris park is that I can often spot a number of issues that wouldn't take much to fix. A bit of paint here and a quick sweep up there, but instead those issues are just left for long periods of time for the guest to view without any action being taken. How long would it take a single person to clean out all the mold at the bottom of the Its a Small World lagoon, or jet wash the dirt on the Studio Trams. Small jobs that could be done in the night time that would improve the overall quality of the park. As for litter lying in the streets, while a bad show its only because Europeans are lazy to find a trash can, so I don't fault DLRP so much on this.

• is satisfactual.

Where do you get the impression the TDR has money. Just because the attractions are kept in great condition and the parks are clean it doesn't mean the park hasn't been cutting back on its operations over the years. The OLC are just better at hiding the cutbacks than what Disney have been.

My biggest problem with the Paris park is that I can often spot a number of issues that wouldn't take much to fix. A bit of paint here and a quick sweep up there, but instead those issues are just left for long periods of time for the guest to view without any action being taken. How long would it take a single person to clean out all the mold at the bottom of the Its a Small World lagoon, or jet wash the dirt on the Studio Trams. Small jobs that could be done in the night time that would improve the overall quality of the park. As for litter lying in the streets, while a bad show its only because Europeans are lazy to find a trash can, so I don't fault DLRP so much on this.
    Because they were able to build DisneySea? Because TDL is the second most visited theme park on earth and spending-per-guest is continually stellar? Is it not true? Is the OLC not as rich as we think?

As for the rest of your post, I agree. ED has an odd way of choosing their projects. The last time I was there, there were several people at the DLH painting woodwork which seemed fine to me, but in an entire year they had not managed to replace a single light bulb in the castle's chandeliers. I thought, how many painters would it take to change a light bulb?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Tokyo, yes, but Tokyo is in a league of its own, is it not. They have money and Japanese guests who don't think to litter. Tokyo will win any match when it comes to cleanliness.
    Sorry. I don't buy that "japanese guests don't litter" rationale. Japanese guests DO litter, but lucky for us... OLC's Custodial staffing outnumbers some of the other parks by an estimated guess of 10 CMs to 1 at the Disney owned parks, and THAT's why the Tokyo parks are clean. Management *cares*, unlike Paris and Orlando.

Tokyo is the best followed by California. But WDW and DLRP borderline one another. Hong Kong is still pretty new.
    Does not matter. TDL is going on 25 yrs and is still cleaner that HKDL.. even thought I have rated HKDL as the 2nd cleanest DL park out there...follow by DL, then the MK, and dead last...DLP.

• Hitchhiker

As for litter lying in the streets, while a bad show its only because Europeans are lazy to find a trash can, so I don't fault DLRP so much on this.
    Do I need to remind of Skull Rock Toilet™?
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post

Does not matter. TDL is going on 25 yrs and is still cleaner that HKDL.. even thought I have rated HKDL as the 2nd cleanest DL park out there...follow by DL, then the MK, and dead last...DLP.
    Have you been to DLP during the 15th?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Because they were able to build DisneySea? Because TDL is the second most visited theme park on earth and spending-per-guest is continually stellar? Is it not true? Is the OLC not as rich as we think?
    Tokyo Disney Sea was a huge investment that to this day has not paid of as well as what the OLC had hoped. Actually since the opening of the Disney Sea park, TDL attendance next door has dropped. Before TDS came along that park was doing 17 million visitors a year now the Resort takes in together an annual attendance of 25 million. So TDS despite its high cost has only managed to help increase attendance by 8 million, which while still being an impressive figure, it was not what the OLC were after here. Don't get me wrong TDS is no where near the finacial dissaster that the Studios in Paris is, but it has still under performed since opening, and thats why we've seen new attractions like Raging Spirits, Tower of Terror and Mythica all open up recently. You don't continue to throw money like this into park if it was doing so well.

Tokyo Disneyland may well in fact be the most visited park last year as I never buy into these reports that get release. But you need to take into account that as part of the licensing deal not only do Disney get a royalty fee for usage of its characters but also 10% of the attendance gate. It may not seem like a lot but with that money Disney has been able to build both Disney Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom. Also here's an interesting story I've heard that the OLC had to offer seperate licensing deals for both Pixar and George Lucas. OLC also have to pay Disney a fee if it wants to use its Imagineers to build new attractions.

The TDR is a huge money maker for the OLC, but it too has its fair share of high cost to think about and shareholders to please, and why it may be fair to point out that TDR sells merchadise better than any other Disney park it also spends more than any other Disney park too.

• is satisfactual.

Tokyo Disney Sea was a huge investment that to this day has not paid of as well as what the OLC had hoped. Actually since the opening of the Disney Sea park, TDL attendance next door has dropped. Before TDS came along that park was doing 17 million visitors a year now the Resort takes in together an annual attendance of 25 million. So TDS despite its high cost has only managed to help increase attendance by 8 million, which while still being an impressive figure, it was not what the OLC were after here. Don't get me wrong TDS is no where near the finacial dissaster that the Studios in Paris is, but it has still under performed since opening, and thats why we've seen new attractions like Raging Spirits, Tower of Terror and Mythica all open up recently. You don't continue to throw money like this into park if it was doing so well.

Tokyo Disneyland may well in fact be the most visited park last year as I never buy into these reports that get release. But you need to take into account that as part of the licensing deal not only do Disney get a royalty fee for usage of its characters but also 10% of the attendance gate. It may not seem like a lot but with that money Disney has been able to build both Disney Hollywood Studios and Disney's Animal Kingdom. Also here's an interesting story I've heard that the OLC had to offer seperate licensing deals for both Pixar and George Lucas. OLC also have to pay Disney a fee if it wants to use its Imagineers to build new attractions.

The TDR is a huge money maker for the OLC, but it too has its fair share of high cost to think about and shareholders to please, and why it may be fair to point out that TDR sells merchadise better than any other Disney park it also spends more than any other Disney park too.
    However, the WDS also cost a fraction of what TDS cost, obviously. I don't remember the exact numbers, but Al Lutz mentioned in his MousePlanet review of TDS (many moons ago) how much TDS cost compared to DCA, and DCA was far more expensive than the WDS. In other words, it's all relative.

And TDS and Euro Disneyland have a lot in common then, it seems. They're possibly Disney's most ambitious parks, both of which were built with extremely high expectations and failed to live up to those. Interesting stuff.

I'd be very interested in some hard numbers on these subjects, personally, wouldn't everyone else? Such as how many extra guests each second gate brought in per year or what they all cost to build. But I suppose the OLC isn't very generous with that sort of information?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast