Trip Report Feb 18th-21st - Part Two Walt Disney Studios

Hey guys,

Here as promised is the second and final part of my trip report. The first part of my trip report can be found here

In this post I will be talking about the Walt Disney Studios Park, considered my many Disney fans to be the worst Disney Park on the planet. While I do agree that it is the worst, it does have it's good points but still needs allot of work even with the new attractions. Without Cursh, Toon Studios and the Tower this park must of seemed a really disappointing place after visiting Disneyland next door.

As I mentioned, the news that many people thought this park was bad was in my mind as we took off to the park. First impressions approaching the park were good, the entrance is nice to look at and as far as I am concerned is better than Disney's Hollywood Studios entrance. After going through the gates we entered the courtyard area which is just in front of Studio 1, the main street of sorts for the park. In the courtyard there was a few meet and greet sessions going on and the music to classic movies was playing which was nice. I do have to add that the Fantasia fountain featuring Mickey was void of any water and remained that way during our trip which is a bad show.

Moving on and entering Studio 1 I was surprised much I disliked the concept. I was expecting more than a glorified shopping mall which it basically is with a few thrown in movie props. The area does not work in my opinion and is a disappointment. Exiting the area and entering the main park you are greeted with a nice view of the tower of terror and the new hollywood blv section. Now, this part exceeded my expectations but now sticks out and makes the rest of the park look very stale which I grant is not a hard thing to do. But the placing of the tower as you exit S1 is a good touch and shows what can be done if the money and planning is put to good use by the Imagineers.

The layout of the park is rather dull and consists of what I guess you could call a strip. Basically a winding part. Looking at the park map park states the studios are spit up into "Productions Zones" but in reality it's actually hard to make out where one starts and the other ends. Only Toon Studios with it's mickey statue makes it clear what Zone you are in and even that is not placed that well. I guess the problem is down to the strip concept and it's a shame.

Ok now on to ride experiences.

One of my favorite rides from Disney's Hollywood Studios is Rock'n'Roller Coaster and here the ride is much better. Yes, the outside lacks the theming from Florida but the inside is better concived with great lighting and sound. the sound on the coasters were clear and loud. Great show!

As I have seen the Motors Stunt show in the states we passed on this as I am not a fan of it and I was told its the same in Paris, although I understand that the Paris version is the original.

Backstage Tour Tram. Again, not a huge fan of the ride in the states but here there was some nice extras and it's nice to have pre-recorded narration instead of a live and sometimes annoying cast member. The London Reign of fire scene was a nice extra but still a little underwhelming.

Cinemagic - A great little show that was highly entertaining. I actually thought the bit where the actor gets out of his seat and on the stage was real! Some of the effects and the actual film was very good. A surprise!

Animagic - The sister show to Cinemagic about Animation, this time totally LIVE with actors but I did not enjoy it as much as Cine. It just seemed very blah and while good, I think something better like Philarmagic could wow more people.

Crush's Coaster - OMG. What a surprise. This ride totally freaked me out. I was not expecting it to be so scary. This ride was more thrilling than Space Mountain mission 2 and the whole ride is fantastic. Yes, the que was long at an hour but its a testiment to the ride that we got straight in line (hour again) to ride again. I would call this an E not a D ticket!

Tower of Terror - Being a fan of the florida ride, I was looking forward to it. I knew it was the same as the Tokyo ride in terms of ride experience and I still think the Florida version with it's moving forward motion is the best but I LOVED it! The ride was great but what was a total joy was how in character the cast members were. Every single one was in a mischievous, evil mood that was big hit for everyone and especially me as it really added to the experience. Here is an example, in the libiary during the pre-show the bell hop would walk around the room scaring people by screaming at them and touching their heads, and then at the end he kept a person behind and we herd a scream! Then when we got in our lift the Bell Hop was on Top Form, if you have seen the YouTube adverts with that Bell Hop, well you know what we were treated to. YEs the ride was good, but the cast members made the memories.

I am not going to mention Armageddon as it was total waste of time. This needs to go now! One of the worse Disney attractions and is up there with Stitch's great escape at WDW.

So there we have it. Walt Disney Studios Park at Paris. A park that could of been so much better from day one if they put more effort into it. I dare say that Disney deserved to once again run into money troubles after this park opened. It's not a Disney Park. I can only hope that there are some BIG plans for this park to bring it up to the standard of it's sister park. It's going to take allot to do that but the recent additions have made the park worthwhile for visitors and a small distraction from the main event next door. I just hope Disney has the plans and that they are implemented soon, after all the studios were packed but comon Disney sort it out!

Pictures can be found here http://gallery.mac.com/peteranthonyw...lack&view=grid

• Membre

Re: Trip Report Feb 18th-21st - Part Two Walt Disney Studios

Great TR again, thanks!

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.
    Two months ago we have been to WDW and in my opinion the Hollywood Studios is a very nice park, much better themed than the Walt Disney Studios in Paris.

I also think, that the Rock'n'Rollercoaster and the Studio Tram Tour are better in Paris. I didn't like the Cast Member at the tour. The Rock'n'Rollercoaster is a little bit nicer themed in Florida, but in my opinion the ride is faster and smoother at the WDS.

In September we are going to DLRP and I can't wait to see the new parts of the WDS with the new attractions. The Tower of Terror is one of the best Disney attrations and I am so happy that the tower made it finally to Paris. In WDW we had some pretty cool cast members too who did the whole show for us, which is such a great thing - you can see they are enjoying their work!

Looking forward to your next part of your trip report.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    [...] Without Cursh, Toon Studios and the Tower this park must of seemed a really disappointing place after visiting Disneyland next door. [...]

The layout of the park is rather dull and consists of what I guess you could call a strip. Basically a winding part. Looking at the park map park states the studios are spit up into "Productions Zones" but in reality it's actually hard to make out where one starts and the other ends. Only Toon Studios with it's mickey statue makes it clear what Zone you are in and even that is not placed that well. I guess the problem is down to the strip concept and it's a shame.
    The current strip layout is actually a huge improvement -- when the park opened, it was basically a big slab of asphalt with rides on it, as I'm sure you can imagine. Animation Courtyard had three attractions with walls in between them, the view from Studio 1 was that big Studio Tram Tour sign with filler material stretching from it all the way to Armageddon. It was incredibly embarrassing. Toon Studio and the ToT area have at least defined and added architecture to the strip.

But you're right, of course, even now the park has the distinction of being the only theme park on the planet that can be experienced from a single, not terribly winding pathway.

• Minion

^^ The linear layout of the park is for me its fatal weakness. Even if they extend Hollywood Blvd I have a difficult time envisioning how they will create a convincing arrangement of "lands". I say...bulldoze the whole place and rebuild from scratch!

Also Peter thanks for both TRs, enjoyed reading them! I haven't been to the European parks but I share most of your sentiments on both parks based on what I have read and the photos I've seen.