Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

One day to visit, which park to choose?

I am headed to Paris March 24-31 for a management retreat and will have one free day (Thursday) to visit DLRP. I am wondering which park you would suggest visiting if you only had one day to visit.

Just for background, I was at WDW about a month ago and TDR about 6 months ago so I'm just trying to figure out which park will have the most "new" for me.

TIA!
    TracerX

• World Traveler

Re: One day to visit, which park to choose?

If you want "new", then visit the studios, but you'll only need a few hours since it's a smaller park with less attractions. If you've never been to Disneyland Paris Park, then you might still want to consider it since they have similar attractions as compared to WDW and TDL, but with different details. For example, DLP's Phantom Manor is very different from it's other counterparts.

Have Fun!

• is satisfactual.

I would definitely advise you to choose the Disneyland Park. The WDS would seem less familiar, that's for sure, but so would prison (I assume).

Hyperbole aside, the WDS is home to fresher, newer rides, some of them worthwhile (Crush, Cinemagique, the Tower of Terror since it appears you haven't been to DCA's). It's just not Disney's finest accomplishment park-wise. If you want thrills and novelty, the WDS is for you.

The Disneyland Park next door however is where you'll find the Disney magic. It's been repeated a thousand times, but it is a gorgeous park that, although obviously similar to the other Magic Kingdoms, is essentially a lavish director's cut of the original Disneyland in which everything got a thorough redesign. If you care about atmosphere and immersive theming, this is the park.
    Last edited by pussnboots; 03-15-2008 at 06:11 AM.

Well after seeing these two posts I would have to say that I am leaning toward DLP simply because I haven't been to DCA in about 9 years.

I also just figured out that DLRP has a one day park hopper so I may just go that direction since it seems that most people say that WDS won't take a full day and a visit to DLP would be more about seeing the atmosphere than riding a lot of rides.

Thanks so much for the quick replies!
    -TracerX

• Banned User

Parc Disneyland is the park to see if you have one day. While the park itself is similar to the other DLs in the world, DLP's has a very unique and lavish theme to it, and even the classic Disney rides we all know and love have different takes on the old designs, and that alone makes DLP worth visiting. Skip the Studios as there is nothing specially worth going there for. Not even the new rides in my opinion.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

My advice is to list the attractions you would like to do in both parks and buy a park hopper ticket. The Studios in my opinion isn't just a half day attraction anymore, I seriously could probarely easily spend a full day here. But for someone with your limited schedule I would visit this park first and enjoy Crush, Cinemagique, Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. All attractions are either unique to WDS or differnt to versions found in WDW. Also if you have the time I would probarely give Animagique a try if your into cute character shows.

After this head over to DLRP and must do attractions are Space Mountain, POTC, Small World, Big Thunder Mountain, Lion King Show, Phantom Manor and the Castle. Also if you have the time check out the parks new parade for the 15th Anniversary.

And that is in my opinion how I recomend spending a day at the Resort.

Thanks so much for the addl. info Malin and TDLFAN! Everyone I know seems to think I'm crazy for spending a day at Disney when I have such a short time in Paris but I just have to visit all the parks and, after visiting TDR, I'm excited to see the differences in the different parks!

One more question if anyone has any experience with this. I'm a big guy (6'1", 280lbs.) and I'm wondering if I will have any issues with any of the rides at DLRP? I've never had any issues at WDW nor at TDR (though the CM's at TDR were always there to make sure I made it in okay. I'm not sure if that was because they were worried about the size issue or that I had missed some instructions since I spoke no Japanese lol!) except that on some rides my knees are right up against the seat in front of me.

• Hitchhiker

Thursday 27th will be a very busy day, DLP hotels are sold out and many have Eastern holiday during that week. You can hardly see Disneyland parc during the day so I'd recommend not to plan WDS.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TracerX View Post
    Thanks so much for the addl. info TDLFAN!
    Mon pleasure...
    Everyone I know seems to think I'm crazy for spending a day at Disney when I have such a short time in Paris but I just have to visit all the parks and, after visiting TDR, I'm excited to see the differences in the different parks!
    Screw everyone. Most people who are not into Disney will say that. That is OK but being in the recieving end of this as well.. I tell them to mind their biz. You go have fun!
    However, in regards to TDR... do NOT expect the same attention to perfection at DLP that is the norm at TDR. TDR excels way high in many regads and DLP does have their problems in several areas... especially on crowded days. But don't let that discourage you. Go enjoy it. ARRIVE EARLY and leave late!
    One more question if anyone has any experience with this. I'm a big guy (6'1", 280lbs.) and I'm wondering if I will have any issues with any of the rides at DLRP? I've never had any issues at WDW nor at TDR (though the CM's at TDR were always there to make sure I made it in okay. I'm not sure if that was because they were worried about the size issue or that I had missed some instructions since I spoke no Japanese lol!) except that on some rides my knees are right up against the seat in front of me.
    Your size is not an issue at all. Just look at Malin's avatar. You go have fun even if your knees touch the front panels!!! In regards to TDR's CMs.. they are very militant and overly protective of safety issues in regards to guests. OLC comes down hard if a CM is found at fault for a guest injury, and these CMs are expected to uphold the laws that abide the park. They are not afraid to be there looking on to make sure you are safe and telling you if you are not in compliance. This is a japanese way of performing your job and one that in regards to Disney parks... should be the norm. In contrast, you go to the MK at WDW and some CMs don't even bother to lower your lapbar on some rides, expecting it to be tour duty. See what I means? TDR is an exception beyond professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Malin
    My advice is to list the attractions you would like to do in both parks and buy a park hopper ticket. The Studios in my opinion isn't just a half day attraction anymore, I seriously could probarely easily spend a full day here. But for someone with your limited schedule I would visit this park first and enjoy Crush, Cinemagique, Rock N Roller Coaster and Tower of Terror. All attractions are either unique to WDS or differnt to versions found in WDW. Also if you have the time I would probarely give Animagique a try if your into cute character shows.

After this head over to DLRP and must do attractions are Space Mountain, POTC, Small World, Big Thunder Mountain, Lion King Show, Phantom Manor and the Castle. Also if you have the time check out the parks new parade for the 15th Anniversary.
    Good recommendations... however.. on a busy day at DLP, you will have to prioritize.
    Keep in mind... there are only very few things that are unique to WDSP.. Crush Coaster, Cars spinner, Armageddon and Cinemagique. Of these, only Cinemagique and Crush's Coaster are fun, unique rides. But not worth buying a hopper option just to go see. Armageddon is nothing special but a glorified walk-thru show with special effects. If you have been to WDW and DLR, then keep this in mind... TOT at WDSP is the same exact ride as DCA's, the cars stunt show is the same from WDW's DHS, and the R&R Coaster, while it has a somewhat different show than the WDW version... it is still the exact same ride, track and feel of the other one. Stitch Live is the same from HKDL... etc etc.

With that said, keep in mind that DLP is still in 15th anniversary mode so it is a special time to visit THAT park. They have the best versions of these rides: Pirates, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Small World, fastest Space Mountain on Earth (with loops), best Peter and Snow C-ticket, a great Lion King show, a very nice 15th anniversary parade, and possible the best designed DL park of them all. Why bother with the Studios?

• Senior Minion

As far as your size is concerned, I am 6'2 and broad - the only ride I had a (minimal) issue with was Crush's Coaster which is a tight sqeeze but not overly so. My issues are less with leg room and more with the safety bars digging into my shoulders - Crush presented both issues at the same time.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Yes leg room on Crush is a bit tight, but as most seem to recomend you spend the full day at DLP, you have no need to worry. If you can fit on WDW and TDR attractions you will have no problems with DLRP attractions.

Wow Zarniwoop, I had no idea that Thursday would be a holiday! Thanks for the heads-up so I will know to be prepared (I'll be honest, I was figuring Thursday would equal slow).

I wasn't extremely worried about the ride fit but it is always something that is in the back of my mind so thanks for helping to put my mind at ease Malin, TDLFan, and nathan.

Since the suggestions seem to be strongly leaning toward it anyway, I think I'll just be visiting DLP for this trip. Now I must quickly scour this board (and the rest of the web) for info so I don't get home and post a trip report only to find out from TDLFan that I missed a bunch of stuff !

• Banned User

May like to start with my recent trip report http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...ort-91700.html

• Senior Minion

Wow Zarniwoop, I had no idea that Thursday would be a holiday! Thanks for the heads-up so I will know to be prepared (I'll be honest, I was figuring Thursday would equal slow).

I wasn't extremely worried about the ride fit but it is always something that is in the back of my mind so thanks for helping to put my mind at ease Malin, TDLFan, and nathan.

Since the suggestions seem to be strongly leaning toward it anyway, I think I'll just be visiting DLP for this trip. Now I must quickly scour this board (and the rest of the web) for info so I don't get home and post a trip report only to find out from TDLFan that I missed a bunch of stuff !
    It's probably the right choice to choose DL if its going to be busy although if you do get a Park Hopper, make sure you do Crush, Cinemagique and Rock'n Roller Coaster over at WDS (I can't comment on ToT yet unfortunately)
    Whatever you do, I hope you enjoy it - and look forward to your Trip Report.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Just make sure you do all the walk through things at DLP. The castle gallery & dragon, the Nautilus, Adventure Isle, Aladdin... Take in the details everywhere, but especially on Main Street. Do BTM in the off hours, POTC and PM in the "on" hours. Remember that the pizzas aren't worth chewing and that ODVs often have better food than the counter service restaurants. The WDS are best experienced as posted above (with a mindset of avoidance). Any time left after closing hours is best spent at the Disneyland Hotel sipping a cocktail. Have fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast