Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why Space Mountain is (was) so great!

I was looking at one of my photographs of SM from DLP and then I came across this one

There is no Mission 2 advert in this photo (the big poster on the left is not in the screen).

But look a the bottom of the canon. Look at how small the people are in comparisson to the big canon. You can see how they watch at the launch, while smoke blows out the canon.

And when I am watching this. I keep thinking of an art impression from Tim Delaney with people standing the same like in my photo. Does someone have it?

This is why Mission 1 was great. The atmposphere that I feel with watching this photo makes me think back of the time that I found SM one of the best attractions ever. And on the outside it still is one , or probably, the best attraction at night.

This attraction really makes the other Space Mountains look like ...

• is satisfactual.

Re: Why Space Mountain is (was) so great!

Yes. It's marvelous. Less so than it used to be obviously, but as long as there is that smoky, kinetic launch every minute or so it's an amazing sight to behold.

And while we're masturbatively honoring underrated Discoveryland things, I'd like to mention Videopolis. Although completely upstaged by Space Mountain, it's another one of those things that makes me go "gee, good job WDI" every time I'm there. Most guests don't give it a second thought as they walk inside toward their fast food goal, but it's an amazing building. And that blimp took a team in the UK months to develop and build.

Wow...

Puss thanks for the link to the blimp video. I love the Hyperion. You are right about it's wow factor. I didn't realise it was partly designed in Bath. That is just down the road from me and Buro Happold were a client of my Dad's. He did their printing before anyone gets too excited. They also were involved with the Millenium Dome in London.

As for Space Mountain. You are right that we sometimes forget the impact it has on the atmosphere of Discoveryland especially at night.

• Banned User

The cannon effect is awesome indeed.. WHEN IT WORKS!

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Obsessive View Post
    Wow...

Puss thanks for the link to the blimp video. I love the Hyperion. You are right about it's wow factor. I didn't realise it was partly designed in Bath. That is just down the road from me and Buro Happold were a client of my Dad's. He did their printing before anyone gets too excited. They also were involved with the Millenium Dome in London.

As for Space Mountain. You are right that we sometimes forget the impact it has on the atmosphere of Discoveryland especially at night.
    That's cool. I'm sure it couldn't have been done without proper printing. He could have cut off one of the numbers and bam! Whole project's gone awry and there's an upside down blimp.

I did notice that the Hyperion is a bit... Deflated? And either dirty or faded on top. (picture recently posted by mark)

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    The cannon effect is awesome indeed.. WHEN IT WORKS!
    I can't say I visit the place as often as you do, but since they did the Mission 2 thing it's worked every time I was there. That's why the refurb was such a mixed blessing, was it not; they ruined the theming, but they repainted it and fixed the effects.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Absolutely WONDERFUL Pic- and count me in as one who liked Mission 1 better!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Pirate - G'har!

A gorgeous pic indeed (I love shots up the cannon too). As I've said, SM:M2 is a fantastic, state-of-the-art ride with a breathtaking exterior and launch, but for all the technical upper-hands of Mission 2, it's not that that makes the difference. With a great refurb and a coservation of theme, boy oh boy, but we only got one of those. Still, with buzz lightyear's laser blast across from it, From the Earth to the Moon would have lost some of its class anyway!

• On A Disney World Tour...

Agree, M2 ruined the impression we had of Space Mountain, but let's face it, it's a good attration and guests love it. So alright... We're just hoping that in the coming years, they feel like changing it back again to get the marketing opportunity it gave them back then

Or they could build the old Space Moutain in Shanghai, anything can be dreamed up !
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Hitchhiker

It is not just M2, but the destruction of Le Visionarium too. First you saw that splendid movie and then you started to live Verne's visions. But now, there's no storyline for Discoveryland, you can't call it theme park any more. It's just a bunch of rides and shows without heart or reason why they're there. A creaton of the same spreadsheet mo**ns who thought WDS phase 1 was a good idea.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    It is not just M2, but the destruction of Le Visionarium too. First you saw that splendid movie and then you started to live Verne's visions. But now, there's no storyline for Discoveryland, you can't call it theme park any more. It's just a bunch of rides and shows without heart or reason why they're there. A creaton of the same spreadsheet mo**ns who thought WDS phase 1 was a good idea.
    I wish I didn't, but I so agree...

• is satisfactual.

I agree with that as well. But as heretical as it may be, I personally think that taking out Le Vis was probably the most understandable decision in the Ruined Discoveryland situation. Near its end, it wasn't drawing in any crowds and the film was showing signs of age (much like HISTA today, which for some reason still is not euthanized). And in that prime location, having a deserted attraction like that would just be sad. I suppose that's the original Imagineers' fault (one of very few) for not realizing that a CircleVision film rarely stands the test of time.

Although I suppose those Imagineers never imagined they would be up against such maroons in the near future.

Where modern day DLP screwed up is with the integration of Buzz into its surroundings, as well as the butchering of SM obviously. I'm still mad about the sculpture they tore out of Constellations.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post

Where modern day DLP screwed up is with the integration of Buzz into its surroundings
    Hardly an 'integration' though is it?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

the ride is still rough compared to SM1 .

The Audio System is sure may be better but it is not working very well .

• Coming soon...

In my honest opinion, SMM2 still remains my favourite ride that I've ever ridden. Yes, it may be rough. Yes, the soundtrack may be inferior to before, and yes, some 'soul' may have been lost. But, I still feel much was gained from the SMM2 refurb. The effects are more numerous, and I love the comet effects and spiralling red vortex at the end.

Personally, the storyline of SM1 was favourable, but to be honest, Discoveryland was never fully 'Verne' enough for my liking. Captain EO, for instance. Rgith from the start this shouldn't really have fit in. Star Tours always stood out a bit too much for my liking. Both of these existed from day 1.

If I had my way, Buzz would have never arrived either. It's location is, well, atrocious. When queues get long, it fills the discoveryland entrance, which I hate.

I know it's beyond repair, but this is how I would have loved DL to develop. It could have worked in the past, but too much has changed now for it to be reversed. Of course, I have, for fun, designed my ultimate Discovery Island land, but that is completely impossible due to funds.

2004 (ish)

SM1 has been in need of repair for a while. So, it goes under extensive rehab. New effects are added such as comets, a red vortex (well, why not, it looks cool). The storyline now goes that you are launched into space by a cannon. But, en route to the moon, you hit a stray comet. This damages the engines themselves. We nearly make it to the moon, but we instead overshoot and hit an asteroid field, before plummeting bakc to earth and into the EDV. This allows for new effects, but old storyline.

Next, Star Tours and HISTA are removed. In it's place, we put in Soarin'. But, no ordinary Soarin'. I love soarin', but it would never fit DLP. But, then I thought about it.

Why not have an Around The World In 80 Days theme? It allows for a simple new film, and then you can just add a victorian era queue area around it. Also, this would make the Discoveryland train station more appropriate. It could be more in tune to the architecture of Videopolis/Hyperion theatre.

If these things were to happen, then Discoveryland would actually work. That's just two additions. You could of course take it further than this, but these two could ahve made a world of difference in my opinion.

Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Hardly an 'integration' though is it?!
    I agree, they should have put the money in and build a whole new buidling for it where Pizza Planet's huge pop up canopy stands... Would have remained with the theme, and pretty much match the "anything goes" themeing of this area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast