Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Coverage of St Patrick's Day

DLRPToday has posted an article detailing the full list of events and pics from this years St Patrick's Day at DLRP.
    http://www.dlrpmagic.com/today/2008/...ack-to-disney/

Also a YouTube video is available here from the fireworks show
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=d72DPHVNIrQ

Don't you wish DLRP did more of this sort of thing!

• Banned User

Re: Coverage of St Patrick's Day

Same old candy on a different stick. Meaning, same old tired pyro with different music (that you can't hardly hear on this home made video), but at least the sync'ed it well. To a degree. But at least I give DLP credit for celebrating this... "holiday?", with a pyro show, as opposed to WDW and DLR, where St. Pats means a new tee and pin on the shelf.

• Minion

Its just nice to see St Patrick's Day celebrated else where without people going down the pub and drinking a few pints of Guiness. I just wished DLRP would keep the event going for more than a day, and turn it into perhaps a month event.

• Banned User

They already serve liquor in the park, so I guess it would only be fitting to keep this silly holiday going for a few days.

• Minion

I wouldn't call a holiday that celebrates St Patrick a Patron Saint of Ireland as silly.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

I agree. I'm Irish and I don't think St. Patrick's Day is silly. Well maybe it is...but it is important to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Banned User

So, if it is a religious thing..then why do so many people mistake it for a beer fest? That is why I think it's silly.

• Colorful

April Showers bring May flowers all in the Golden Afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    So, if it is a religious thing..then why do so many people mistake it for a beer fest? That is why I think it's silly.
    You do have a point there. Of course it meant something entirely different when I was a kid.

But sorry for continuing to drive this off-topic. Thanks for sharing the link and video. Good stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    We are 100% grade A Disney Dorks.

• Minion

St Patrick's Day is no differnt to New Years Eve, some will celebrate it by watching a fireworks show or parade, while others will use it as an excuse to get drunk, and start the New Year with full hangover. However no one thinks New Years is silly do there.

• Former DL CM

I find it interesting that DRP makes a point to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but does NOTHING on the Fourth of July (not even ANY fireworks). I assume the point is to target a European market (which I suppose includes Ireland). Still, the primary focus of the Main Street USA portion of the Magic Kingdom is to provide visitors with an experience of life in America. I just couldn't get over the fact that, when I was in the park last July 4th, there was absolutely no recognition that this is an important American holiday. The park did not even have extended hours as I guess July 4th falls before the beginning of the busy summer season at the resort.

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by macindan View Post
    I find it interesting that DRP makes a point to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but does NOTHING on the Fourth of July (not even ANY fireworks). I assume the point is to target a European market (which I suppose includes Ireland). Still, the primary focus of the Main Street USA portion of the Magic Kingdom is to provide visitors with an experience of life in America. I just couldn't get over the fact that, when I was in the park last July 4th, there was absolutely no recognition that this is an important American holiday. The park did not even have extended hours as I guess July 4th falls before the beginning of the busy summer season at the resort.
    I find it very difficult to find any reason in that point of view. Of course DLRP caters to Europeans, and of course Ireland is a part of that continent. And unlike St. Patrick's Day, which has developed into an international boozefest like the drunken man's answer to Christmas, the Fourth of July is an American national holiday that finds as little celebration outside the States as Bastille Day finds outside of France. I'm sorry to have to be so political, but the world does indeed not revolve around America.

The very most anyone could reasonably expect DLRP to do on the Fourth of July is hold a little ceremony on Main Street.

• Former DL CM

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    the Fourth of July is an American national holiday that finds as little celebration outside the States as Bastille Day finds outside of France.

If I were to be present in a location in the United States whose purpose was to convey to visitors an experience based upon life in a traditional French town, I would be equally surprised if there was no mention of Bastille Day on July 14th--its got nothing to do with politics.

Just to be clear, there was no observance or special decorations of any kind on Main Street of the Magic Kingdom at DRP on the Fourth.

• is satisfactual.

If I were to be present in a location in the United States whose purpose was to convey to visitors an experience based upon life in a traditional French town, I would be equally surprised if there was no mention of Bastille Day on July 14th--its got nothing to do with politics.

Just to be clear, there was no observance or special decorations of any kind on Main Street of the Magic Kingdom at DRP on the Fourth.
    Well it's not like Disney carefully follows the annual habits of every nation that's represented in its parks, barring perhaps Epcot. If they do it's lovely, as with the "it's a small world" Christmas decorations or the Guy Fawkes Day celebrations at DLRP, but to get fussy over it if they don't?

Fantasyland would be a very busy place if Disney were required to celebrate the holidays of all the European countries it represents.

• Banned User

Are you asking this because St. Patrick's is celebrated (sort of) in the USA?

I don't think it's Disney's obligation to celebrate USA-specific holidays in it's international parks at all. All these recongnitions they do at the parks are merely ways to enhance the festivities followed by local cultures. No one in France cares to recognize of celebrate the 4th of july. Just like WDW/DLR does not care to celebrate France's Bastille day. The only reason why dates like Cinco de Mayo or St. Patricks Day are somewhat a part of the USA mentality is because they as seen as "fun" celebrations but I wonder how many americans really know the meaning of these holidays to begin with.

• Empress of Randomness

Oh thats so funny... They're using the music to Riverdance!!
    You can even hear the hard dance shoes

Disneyland: 1998, 2005

Disneyland Paris: 1992, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast