Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Senior Minion

Re: No Ratatouille ride for the Studios?

'Wak!' tended to be Donald's choice of surprised exclamation.

I prefer Scrooge's 'My little stars and comets!' or (even better) 'great honk!'

Back in the eighties and ninties, I used to go to a local comic store to get a subscription of US Disney Comics (published by Gladstone). Eventually (I seem to remember when the publishing was taken over by Disney themselves) these comics could no longer be sold in shops in the UK. I was told this was because 'Disney UK' were worried that 'Disney US' were stealing their comic sales - doubtful due to the limited availablility of the US comics and the relative child-friendliness of the UK versions. I had to begin subscribing to the US titles direct form the publisher - something that had to cease when I moved out from my parent's house and had other things that I had to spend my limited income on (ie food and shelter).
    I know that since then, US Disney comics have suffered many slings and arrows and have never really kept a decent foothold in the market. Meanwhile, UK Disney comics are aimed squarely at pre-schoolers.
    All of the best Disney comicstories of recent decades have been produced or commissioned by Disney's European comic producers (including works by leading US 'duck-man' Don Rosa) and DLP should really reflect this and celebrate what seems to have become a large niche in a dwindling market.

As you may tell, this is one of my passions and I must apologise for upsetting this thread and bringing it so far off topic. From rats to ducks eh?!
    Last edited by nathan detroit; 04-16-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

Ratatouille attraction coming?

I don't know what to belive any more. According to todays Le Figaro, Ratatouille attraction is coming to DLRP.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualites/confidentiels.php

Ratatouille will make its way to Disneyland

The animated drawing of Brad Bird, Ratatouille, was such a success with 8 million movie viewers in France. A new attraction should be soon devoted him to the Disneyland park of Marne-La-Valley...
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 04-17-2008 at 12:08 AM. Reason: typos
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• is satisfactual.

Re: Ratatouille attraction coming?

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    'Wak!' tended to be Donald's choice of surprised exclamation.

I prefer Scrooge's 'My little stars and comets!' or (even better) 'great honk!'

Back in the eighties and ninties, I used to go to a local comic store to get a subscription of US Disney Comics (published by Gladstone). Eventually (I seem to remember when the publishing was taken over by Disney themselves) these comics could no longer be sold in shops in the UK. I was told this was because 'Disney UK' were worried that 'Disney US' were stealing their comic sales - doubtful due to the limited availablility of the US comics and the relative child-friendliness of the UK versions. I had to begin subscribing to the US titles direct form the publisher - something that had to cease when I moved out from my parent's house and had other things that I had to spend my limited income on (ie food and shelter).
    I know that since then, US Disney comics have suffered many slings and arrows and have never really kept a decent foothold in the market. Meanwhile, UK Disney comics are aimed squarely at pre-schoolers.
    All of the best Disney comicstories of recent decades have been produced or commissioned by Disney's European comic producers (including works by leading US 'duck-man' Don Rosa) and DLP should really reflect this and celebrate what seems to have become a large niche in a dwindling market.

As you may tell, this is one of my passions and I must apologise for upsetting this thread and bringing it so far off topic. From rats to ducks eh?!
    Stop, you're making me nostalgic! (for the comic books, not the penniless college/straight-out-of-college lifestyle; I'm still living that one.)

I was just thinking that the Paris region is also home to Parc Asterix, another beacon of European comic book culture. If DLRP were anything like Disney in the States, which tries to steal business from surrounding parks by doing them one better (Universal: MGM, Busch: DAK, Knott's: DCA), it would tap into the comic book niche. One might even say they're stupid not to.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    I don't know what to belive any more. According to todays Le Figaro, Ratatouille attraction is coming to DLRP.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualites/confidentiels.php

Ratatouille will make its way to Disneyland

The animated drawing of Brad Bird, Ratatouille, was such a success with 8 million movie viewers in France. A new attraction should be soon devoted him to the Disneyland park of Marne-La-Valley...
    That's from April 17. The Iger interview is from the 11th. Seems odd. Unless Iger came home from that interview, regretted his words and called in an emergency meeting to revive the Ratatouille ride... It seems Le Figaro is badly informed.

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    That's from April 17. The Iger interview is from the 11th. Seems odd. Unless Iger came home from that interview, regretted his words and called in an emergency meeting to revive the Ratatouille ride... It seems Le Figaro is badly informed.
    It's also possible that Iger was thinking of the US parks and it slipped his mind that something might be on the cards for Disneyland Paris.

Still, there probably isn't!

• Hitchhiker

Also Le Figaro says that it goes to Disneyland Parc. Prehaps it's highly themed restaurant to Fantasyland?
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• is satisfactual.

A Ratatouille restaurant would be great! Perhaps they're finally planning to use that land between Pizzeria Bella Notte and Auberge de Cendrillon?

But probably not.

(Also, it's not like it's Disneyland Park that's in need of an extra restaurant...)

• is satisfactual.

Oh, and another thing -- If Le Figaro says "le parc Disneyland", it's probably talking about the entire resort. This isn't the LA Times we're talking about.

• Rock The World

I think a well-themed Ratatouille restaurant in Toon Studio would be brilliant. Of course, there's always the chance that Le Figaro are just voicing the long-circulating internet rumours, and hadn't heard Iger's pronouncement. (It wouldn't really count as international news).
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Stop, you're making me nostalgic! (for the comic books, not the penniless college/straight-out-of-college lifestyle; I'm still living that one.)
    I'm making myself nostalgic! In fact, all this talk of these comics has made me decide to get them all out of storage to start re-reading them (there are literally hundereds). I think NDJnr is old enough to appreciate them now.

Anyway, back on topic - I doubt whether Ratatouille will get any major exposure at DLP now mainly due to the fact that we have moved on and although the film was popular, even in Europe it does not seem to have captured the public's long-term imagination and love like Nemo or Toy Story.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Re: Duckburg, missed opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Here we go.. Here in Finland Donald Duck magazine has bigger circulation than any other magazine. Every issue has 995.000 readers and our population is 5.200.000. You just count how many readers should have in your country. Everybody loves Donald and couldn't care less of Mickey (generalising, sorry).
    As said before the same goes for the Netherlands. 2,2 million people read the Donald Duck magazine weekly. That's on a population of 16 million.
    Half of those readers is older than 20.
    I believe one million Dutch people visit DLP yearly.
    They could add more Donald Duck universe things to DLP and promote it heavilly in the Disney magazines..

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

With all the Pixar musicals that the company has been putting into production lately, I'm actually suprised a Ratatouille Musical hasn't been discussed. Nemo has been a hit at Animal Kingdom, while the Toy Story Musical shows some potential on the Cruiselines.

• Geoff London

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    The concept of a Ratatouille ride was always a little iffy to my mind. A visit to the sewers of Paris? I don't think so!.....................................
    As for E tickets at DLP - probably nothing on the slate for a year or two but never say never!
    Why does it have to be a ride? A restaurant perhaps but the rat connection would have to be dealt with (although you do get the real thing from time to time at DL's (CA) Blue Bayou.)

And original agreements talked of 3 parks at Paris although I think that's some way off.
    Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Why does it have to be a ride? A restaurant perhaps but the rat connection would have to be dealt with
    This thread originally was discussing a ride - I suggested a restaurant in the next sentence of my post.

DLP already (sort of) has a Ratatouille restaurant now at WDS, but I would really welcome a recreation of Gusteau's. I would not be averse to the rat connection being made and would suggest that subtle references in the decor could be made. That and some AA rats (Pixar-style, not realistic you understand!) dotted around the place ala Rainforest Cafe!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12