Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Rock The World

No Ratatouille ride for the Studios?

Screamscape have linked to a very interesting interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger (http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/11/news...ion=2008041110) during which he says the following:

I was recently asked whether "Ratatouille" was a franchise. I said no: "Ratatouille" is an extremely good animated film and will be a classic unto itself, but it is not a franchise. You are not going to see "Ratatouille" attractions in parks.
    Does this mean we shouldn't expect Remy to be turning up in Paris after all?
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Re: No Ratatouille ride for the Studios?

Yay!!!! I would like to hope my plees for no more character attractions for a while have been heard!
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

• is satisfactual.

I'd guess so. Can't get much clearer than that...

It might be a good thing, though... On the long run, what the WDS needs is not another gimmicky Pixar attraction in a sound stage that does nothing for the surrounding park. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

• Hola Yola!

But he's saying there won't be a Ratatouille attraction because he doesn't see it as a franchise like Nemo, Cars or Toy Story not because they're going to build less character attractions.

Considering Ratatouille was huge in France and all over Europe it would make sense to build a Ratatouille attraction. Instead, there's now a Cars ride and a massive Cars billboard at the entrance of the studio even though that film was far bigger in America than it was in France. If my memory serves me correctly, Lilo and Stitch also didn't do that well in Europe.

I think we have seen the last of any E-ticket attractions in Paris for a good while now after Tower and other. We now have the threat of a tanking global economy that will stop any major investments...

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by Peterwhite171 View Post
    I think we have seen the last of any E-ticket attractions in Paris for a good while now after Tower and other. We now have the threat of a tanking global economy that will stop any major investments...
    Maybe the last e-ticket on the scale of ToT for a while, but a few smaller attractions like Crush's Coaster wouldn't be unreasonable. WDS in particular isn't out of the woods yet and they must know that.

• Senior Minion

The concept of a Ratatouille ride was always a little iffy to my mind. A visit to the sewers of Paris? I don't think so!
    Ratatouille was a critically popular film that didn't do as good domestic business as expected probably mainly because it was a very 'grown up' story. Although that doesn't mean it doesn't lend itself to an attraction - although I personally believe that a properly themed restaurant or cookware shop would be about where I would draw the line.
    I have nothng against Pixar attractions either. Pixar is popular and so it makes good business sense to exploit that. But what is interesting to note is the number of recent 'boats' that have been missed by DLP - Ratatouille, POTC movies, Enchanted. DLP seem to drag there heels to some extent with things and when they did steam ahead, we got the rather poor Cars Race Rally.
    I seem to be wandering off point now - the main thing is that Ratatouille was never a good idea in a theme park, and maybe Wall-e or 2009's Up won't be either - its at least nice to note that Pixar do not tailor-make their movies to fit with merchandising and attraction opportunities.
    And as has been pointed out already, we have not seen the end of attraction-based rides, only Ratatouille ones. Attraction based rides may not be generally popular on these forums, but are with a shed-load of people who flock to see their favourite toons.
    As for E tickets at DLP - probably nothing on the slate for a year or two but never say never!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

End of the day you can not ignore Ratatouille popularity in France, and I wouldn't totally rule it out from happening. When Bob made the qoute was he refering to the US parks or all the Disney parks World wide. The Ratatouille theme has already taken over on the the Buffet Restuarants at WDS, and the Resort does still stock a ton of merchadise.

• Hola Yola!

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    End of the day you can not ignore Ratatouille popularity in France, and I wouldn't totally rule it out from happening. When Bob made the qoute was he refering to the US parks or all the Disney parks World wide. The Ratatouille theme has already taken over on the the Buffet Restuarants at WDS, and the Resort does still stock a ton of merchadise.
    It has been remarked on before that they don't seem to pay particular attention to what films are popular in France when deciding what attractions to build. It's surprising, for example, that a film like Hunchback which was huge in France is pretty much completely absent from the parks. Even the comic characters like Scrooge McDuck are big all over Europe and don't have so much as a shop dedicated to them. On the other hand, Cars and Lilo and Stitch, two of Disney's lesser successes in France and Europe generally, now have attractions based on them. So it wouldn't surprise me if Ratatouille ends up being forgotten.

Are these creative decisions made mostly in the States based on what has been successful over there?

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    Even the comic characters like Scrooge McDuck are big all over Europe and don't have so much as a shop dedicated to them. On the other hand, Cars and Lilo and Stitch, two of Disney's lesser successes in France and Europe generally, now have attractions based on them. So it wouldn't surprise me if Ratatouille ends up being forgotten.
    Don't get me started on the almost complete absense of the residents of Duckburg from DLP (apart from Donald and Daisy obviously)!

A while ago there was a massive debate on this forum regarding that very thing and it was suggested (mainly by me) that Scrooge and the Duckburg clan should maybe go as far as to have their own area dedicated to them (along the lines of Toon Studios only better). In the majority of Europe (strangely not GB), Disney comics are massive business and the characters are much loved. As well as the ducks, comics featuring Brer Rabbit and the Three Pigs are also very common - and we don't even have Splash Mountain!

European tastes seem to be surprisingly ignored when decisions on DLP are made. True, Crush's Coaster would go down well anywhere and Cars may not be that popular over here (although the toys are very popular in GB) but the characters are still recognisable.

Are there any attractions at TDL or HKDL that reflect their local quintessential tastes in characters and films?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Cliff View Post
    It has been remarked on before that they don't seem to pay particular attention to what films are popular in France when deciding what attractions to build. It's surprising, for example, that a film like Hunchback which was huge in France is pretty much completely absent from the parks. Even the comic characters like Scrooge McDuck are big all over Europe and don't have so much as a shop dedicated to them. On the other hand, Cars and Lilo and Stitch, two of Disney's lesser successes in France and Europe generally, now have attractions based on them. So it wouldn't surprise me if Ratatouille ends up being forgotten.

Are these creative decisions made mostly in the States based on what has been successful over there?
    To play the devil's advocate for a minute, the Hunchback of Notre Dame did have its moment in the sun; it had its own parade and the film influenced most of the 5th anniversary celebrations. Other than that I agree, there is absolutely no reason why Cars should get that much attention at DLP and why the Duckburg characters don't get so much as a subtle reference.

I can't wait for them to overreact to Cars 2...

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Don't get me started on the almost complete absense of the residents of Duckburg from DLP (apart from Donald and Daisy obviously)!

A while ago there was a massive debate on this forum regarding that very thing and it was suggested (mainly by me) that Scrooge and the Duckburg clan should maybe go as far as to have their own area dedicated to them (along the lines of Toon Studios only better). In the majority of Europe (strangely not GB), Disney comics are massive business and the characters are much loved. As well as the ducks, comics featuring Brer Rabbit and the Three Pigs are also very common - and we don't even have Splash Mountain!

European tastes seem to be surprisingly ignored when decisions on DLP are made. True, Crush's Coaster would go down well anywhere and Cars may not be that popular over here (although the toys are very popular in GB) but the characters are still recognisable.

Are there any attractions at TDL or HKDL that reflect their local quintessential tastes in characters and films?
    It seems to me that Japanese tastes certainly affect the offerings at TDL -- haven't you ever seen Fantillusion and thought to yourself, "wow, could this be any more Japanese?" I'm not sure which characters specifically are popular in Japan, but the national love of rainbows and sparkly things is certainly not ignored, haha. Hong Kong is a different story altogether, as evidenced by the need for IASW to actually introduce China to the Disney characters.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post

Scooge does make regular appearances at the Studios and I did see a bit of Scooge related merchadise in shops. Maybe your opinions are being put into action.

• Hitchhiker

Duckburg, missed opportunity

Here we go.. Here in Finland Donald Duck magazine has bigger circulation than any other magazine. Every issue has 995.000 readers and our population is 5.200.000. You just count how many readers should have in your country. Everybody loves Donald and couldn't care less of Mickey (generalising, sorry).

Carl Barks and Don Rosa are like national heros. We have many Disney related aphorisms that everybody uses, like "Lucky as Gladstone Gander" or intelligent people are "Gyro Gearloose"s. Our police has "Beagle Boys unit" (really!) and national ice hockey team had a Huey, Dewey and Louie chain.. When someone faces a problem and doesn't want to swear you most likely hear "Quack!" And a while ago our parlament was worried should Donald Duck wear trousers... ok, I think you got the point.

And back to business: yes, I feel sorry also that DLP has missed opportunity here!
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 04-16-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Here we go.. Here in Finland Donald Duck magazine has bigger circulation than any other magazine. Every issue has 995.000 readers and our population is 5.200.000. You just count how many readers should have in your country. Everybody loves Donald and couldn't care less of Mickey (generalising, sorry).

Carl Barks and Don Rosa are like national heros. We have many Disney related aphorisms that everybody uses, like "Lucky as Gladstone Gander" or intelligent people are "Gyro Gearloose"s. Our police has "Beagle Boys unit" (really!) and national ice hockey team had a Huey, Dewey and Louie chain.. When someone faces a problem and doesn't want to swear you most likely hear "Quack!" And a while ago our parlament was worried should Donald Duck wear trousers... ok, I think you got the point.

And back to business: yes, I feel sorry also that DLP has missed opportunity here!
    How cool. "Quack"? Is that the Finnish version of "Wak!"?

(I know a duck says "quack", I passed that test in kindergarten, but for some amusing reason the comics tend to prefer "wak", at least in English.)

• Hitchhiker

We say: "kääk!".. Ok, didn't remember "wak" so I used the dictionary version. =)
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast