Weekend drive from Denmark, crazy?

I'm returning to Denmark next month and contemplating driving to DLP for a quick weekend visit. Mapquest puts it at 11 hours (820 miles), if it was an 8 hour drive I would do it for sure but 11 is probably a bit too far for a weekend.

If I don't get a car I could fly, still checking for a good deal. With gas prices where they are it would probably be alot cheaper to just fly anyways.

Any other parks to visit that are closer and worth visiting? I have been to Tivoli which was very nice.
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• is satisfactual.

Re: Weekend drive from Denmark, crazy?

I don't think gas prices have skyrocketed in Europe the way they have in the States -- they were simply always high.

And well, it's probably insane for European standards, even though many Americans would probably drive half that distance just to get a burrito, haha. But I would try to book a cheap flight if I were you... Buy some carbon offsets though! It's Earth Day after all.

• Gt Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Fuel is currently running at just over $8 a gallon here in Europe, so it is very pricy. It means most car journeys are about 30c to 40c a mile excluding tolls. So flying or the train are probably the best options.

DLP is no doubt the best park in Europe, but I do love Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, as well as Legoland in Billund (mainly for kids - if you know Legoland california, you know what to expect) which is fun and the original.

Bakken is a fun (very small park) but it has charm and is one of the world's oldest amusement parks. But there is nothing too unusual there.

A little closer to Denmark but worth a trip is Eftling park in Holland, that one has lots of charm, is old, and has some fun coasters too.

Liseberg in Sweden is very popular with locals, most of the usual white knucklers here, but the Gasten Ghost Hotel is a fun horror maze style attraction with a seperate ticket. Rabbit River is the only other unique attraction.

There are loads of great options in Spain, Italy, Germany (southern) and the UK, but those are even further from DLP.

Have a great time no matter what you decide.
    Let's put the Walt back in Disney!

Thanks for the tips on the other parks, I may try and get to Holland. I think I have found a pretty good car rental rate (geez, it's steep) so should be able to talk the boss into just getting a car for my entire trip.

Paris is too far to drive, I'll just keep checking airfares before each trip and someday it will work out to get back to DLP (I was there in December of last year).
    Maybe you folks can tell me though. Does gettin' two womenfolk mean you're the winner or the loser?
    ~Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland

• Geoff London

Now I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic !

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
    Well, you'd have to go through Germany, and Germany's railroad network isn't directly connected to DLRP (as the UK's and Belgium/the Netherlands' are). You'd have to go through Paris, which means a lot of hassle following an already exhausting haul.

It doesn't seem worth it to me, especially knowing a plane will get you there in a fraction of the time. Although that does mean having to deal with the dreaded CDG, haha.

But have fun seeing the rest of Europe, Skawt.

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Well, you'd have to go through Germany, and Germany's railroad network isn't directly connected to DLRP (as the UK's and Belgium/the Netherlands' are). You'd have to go through Paris, which means a lot of hassle following an already exhausting haul.
    You don't have to change in Paris if you don't want to.
    From Copenhagen it's relatively easy to get to Hamburg on the train, from where you can travel to Cologne and then change in Brussels or Lille for Disneyland Resort Paris, without even going into Paris itself.
    Alternatively one can travel from Hamburg to Frankfurt and then onto Disneyland Resort Paris, although these services are more limited and may require a change in Strasbourg to get on a train that stops at DLRP.

I'm not sure about ferries but if you could catch one from Copenhagen to somewhere in the Netherlands it'd be easy to get to Brussels/Lille and make the connection to DLRP from there.

I'd take the trains but I'm biased.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by V1213 View Post
    You don't have to change in Paris if you don't want to.
    From Copenhagen it's relatively easy to get to Hamburg on the train, from where you can travel to Cologne and then change in Brussels or Lille for Disneyland Resort Paris, without even going into Paris itself.
    Alternatively one can travel from Hamburg to Frankfurt and then onto Disneyland Resort Paris, although these services are more limited and may require a change in Strasbourg to get on a train that stops at DLRP.

I'm not sure about ferries but if you could catch one from Copenhagen to somewhere in the Netherlands it'd be easy to get to Brussels/Lille and make the connection to DLRP from there.

I'd take the trains but I'm biased.
    I see. Just proves that my knowledge on this is very limited, haha. Although it still seems like a lot of hassle for an (increasingly shrunken) weekend at DLRP, and I doubt those trains are all of the high speed variety?

Although if you live in Perth, I'm sure anything in Europe can seem like it's a hop, skip and a Eurail pass away from everywhere else.

you can also fly Sterling or SAS to Paris on then drive to Stockholm Stavista then catch a Rayanair Flight for less then 50 Euros round trip then there is a Shuttle from Beauvais Airport to Disneyland Paris .