Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Disney?

• Senior Minion

Camp Disney?

I have just returned from an extremely enjoyable stay at Center Parcs - my first non-Disney holiday in a year or so - and it got me a-thinking.

As I wandered the beautifully crafted landscapes and indulged in some fun and well-organised activities, I wondered whether this wasn't a concept that Disney would not do well to ape. To my mind there is a lot of similarities between DLP and CP and the more I thought of it, the more I decided it could work.

The basic concept of CP is great and should not be changed. However, Disney could bring a little extra sparkle to proceedings. Films like Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood (I was at the Sherwood Forest CP) and all of the fairytale stories involving cute forest creatures could be incorporated into the design of the park and activities. Characters meals and interaction are obviously also something easy to add, but I also thought that a small seperate theme park/fair ground area would be nice - since all activities at CP are paid for as an extra, the theme park could operate like this as well.

With Disney's apparant band-wagon jumping with their conservation appeal, this could be a different sort of version of WDW's AK while also retaining the sport and adventure aspects of CP. And most importantly of all, this could be a great way for the UK to get a Disney park of its own (although the beauty of this concept is that it can be placed anywhere and tailor-made to the local environment and climate). Camp Davy Crockett already has the basic layout and idea in place - it just needs some embelishment.

Opinions?
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• Hitchhiker

Re: Camp Disney?

Isn't Central Parcs connected somehow with Pierre & Vacances who is going to build Village Nature with Euro Disney s.c.a.? It will be built around Davy Crockett Ranch which will be included into it.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• Senior Minion

All news to me Zarny. Does this mean that I may have stumbled onto something that may actually happen?!
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Rock The World

Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    All news to me Zarny. Does this mean that I may have stumbled onto something that may actually happen?!
    Already IS happening! The first phase is due to open in 2011/2012. The Davey Crockett Ranch will be no more, and will instead become the "Forest" section of the Nature Villages scheme.

As Zarniwoop said, it's a joint venture between Pierre & Vacances (who own Center Parcs) and Euro Disney SCA. When it's finished, the Nature Villages resort will be HUUUUGE! About the same size as the current Disney resort site. It'll have four themed areas, including a "Water" village, built around a geothermally heated lake, so you'll be able to swim in it comfortably even on the coldest of days. There are even plans for a white water rafting/kayaking flume.

This is going to be very big indeed. The biggest development in the resort's history, in fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Already IS happening! The first phase is due to open in 2011/2012. The Davey Crockett Ranch will be no more, and will instead become the "Forest" section of the Nature Villages scheme.

As Zarniwoop said, it's a joint venture between Pierre & Vacances (who own Center Parcs) and Euro Disney SCA. When it's finished, the Nature Villages resort will be HUUUUGE! About the same size as the current Disney resort site. It'll have four themed areas, including a "Water" village, built around a geothermally heated lake, so you'll be able to swim in it comfortably even on the coldest of days. There are even plans for a white water rafting/kayaking flume.

This is going to be very big indeed. The biggest development in the resort's history, in fact.
    Well, at least it's separated from the rest of the resort. The Davy Crockett Ranch never had so much as a shuttle service anyway.

I just hope the long-rumored new hotel by Lake Disney will be 100% Disney.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Well, at least it's separated from the rest of the resort. The Davy Crockett Ranch never had so much as a shuttle service anyway.
    Due to the fact that it exclusively aimed at people with cars.

As for these plans, I genuinely have never heard of any of them and they do sound rather exciting. One problem though - its at DLP. Why not somewhere else? Spread the joy, as it were. Not that I necessarily think that something like this should be built in the UK, but surely another European country could get a bite of the Disney cherry? I worry that DLP may catch the WDW-disease and become too sprawling eventually (although it has a long way to go for that!). I would prefer Disney to have a more sharing approach to their entertainment sites.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Due to the fact that it exclusively aimed at people with cars.
    Right, yes, I'm sure that makes sense. I'm a mass transit person, so anything that has the audacity to require the use of a car (such as all of Los Angeles) offends me greatly. But I'm sure the place is perfect for the outdoorsy family with a Volvo.

But I'm not sure WDW is the right example for what not to be. The Disneyland Resort never had a chance to sprawl, because by the time it was a financial success it had been closed in completely. So what is it about WDW that you dislike? Is it the megalomaniacal trying-to-take-over-the-world thing?

• Senior Minion

I personally love WDW. I just hate how everything is twenty-minutes-by-monorail away from everything else.

DLP is niether cramped like DL nor overly spead out like WDW - something I like. The addition of this extra area at Camp Davy Crockett (and I doubt Fess Parker would approve of that name BTW!) will spread DLP out when I would have prefered a 'Camp Disney' (sorry Walt!) to appear somewhere completely different.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

I personally love WDW. I just hate how everything is twenty-minutes-by-monorail away from everything else.

DLP is niether cramped like DL nor overly spead out like WDW - something I like. The addition of this extra area at Camp Davy Crockett (and I doubt Fess Parker would approve of that name BTW!) will spread DLP out when I would have prefered a 'Camp Disney' (sorry Walt!) to appear somewhere completely different.
    "Camp Davy Crockett"... Hmmm. It was actually called that back in the days (they changed it to "Davy Crockett Ranch" in the early '90s)! I've always wondered what was wrong with the old name, but it must have been the mental images of Brokeback before Brokeback...

• Rock The World

I agree with you that WDW is too spread out and sprawling, but technically the Nature Villages won't be part of DLRP. They'll have "associate member" status, a bit like the Kyriad hotel, et al. And you never know, they may introduce a shuttle bus service to the resort proper. And that tram network is still a possibility!
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• Pirate - G'har!

If DLRP are going to continue to expand in the build-another-park sense (yes, yes, I know that if this does happen it won't be for a looooooooong time), it'll become way more spread out because said 3rd gate would probably have to go toward the other end of Lake Disney, which means that a whole new dimension is brought to getting around the resort, it may even justify building a transport system, however, I don't think it'll ever be quite like WDW firstly because they don't have that amount of land, but also because EPCOT was built a long way from MK and it was only a 2nd gate so seemingly that's not the intention of DLRP. Mind you, who knows?!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Thats actually in correct The Davy Crockett Ranch used to have in the early days a shuttle service to and from Euro Disneyland. But it was cut a good number of years a go!

• Pirate - G'har!

Hence it being to and from 'Euro Disneyland' lol

• Senior Minion

I am almost saddened to add to this thread that I found almost every comparable element of Center Parcs better than DLP. Cleanliness, maintainance, staff hospitality and friendliness, accomodation standards and a much higher standard of organisation and communication.
    Saying that, I found the shops to be just as over-priced and of limited range than DLP too.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLR - October 2011

• Pirate - G'har!

But then again Center Parcs aren't running anything nearly as large as Disneyland! Yes I know I know, that's not an excuse!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast