Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28
  1. #1

    • Hitchhiker
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    607

    Angry Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Oh no, I've got a bad feeling about this. They've installed fake flowers to DLP. I hope it's just a temporary thing..






    Photos: JoeL / 2008
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

  2. #2

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    I had the same reaction. There have been plastic flowers on the balconies of Main Street for ages now, and no one seems to notice, but this does seem to be a new thing. And not a particularly good thing.

    This particular facade, though, the one where they've put all these fake flowers, is peculiar in that it's a flat set. There's nothing behind it. I'm not sure how that would explain the fake flowers, but it seemed right in my head.

    Perhaps the planter there isn't up to standards, perhaps there are no sprinklers, perhaps that corner gets little sunlight. But most likely they thought that no one would notice it in that deserted little nook.


  3. #3

    • Membre
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montpellier, France
    Posts
    973

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!


    Bad show!!!

  4. #4

    • Hopper's Mortal Enemy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    952

    Cool Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    When DL opened, they put fresh orchids in the Jungle Cruise until Walt found out how much they cost, and insisted on plastic ones. History's fun!

    A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!


    You've read it; you can't unread it!

  5. #5

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    I had the same reaction. There have been plastic flowers on the balconies of Main Street for ages now, and no one seems to notice, but this does seem to be a new thing. And not a particularly good thing.

    This particular facade, though, the one where they've put all these fake flowers, is peculiar in that it's a flat set. There's nothing behind it. I'm not sure how that would explain the fake flowers, but it seemed right in my head.

    Perhaps the planter there isn't up to standards, perhaps there are no sprinklers, perhaps that corner gets little sunlight. But most likely they thought that no one would notice it in that deserted little nook.

    It's peculiar also because this now the place where you can meet mickey the morning, The Mary Popins' show being on Town Square.

  6. #6

    • Resident Mouse
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    311

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    Oh no, I've got a bad feeling about this. They've installed fake flowers to DLP. I hope it's just a temporary thing..
    Oh, please be temporary.
    -MickeyM

    *President of the Mickey Mouse Club*

  7. #7

    • Membre
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montpellier, France
    Posts
    973

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    There used to be a tree there, I never understood why they removed it. It looked so much better. I took this picture in 2004:


  8. #8

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    There used to be a tree there, I never understood why they removed it. It looked so much better. I took this picture in 2004:
    Gee! So it had a tree, photosynthesis-engaging greenery and a nice Opel poster. And now it has none of those things. Talk about declining by degrees (yes, the Kevin Yee-isms are catchy).

    Did the tree die...?

  9. #9

    • Hall Of Promise
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    668

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    If we're talking about what looks better, the fake flowers do. They bring color to the area and look rather nice. Not as nice up close but this just reminds me of a movie set. What doesn't look right is the rope barrier.

    Now real flower are always nicer, but I don't see how this is bad show. That phrase gets thrown around by Disney fans way too often these days.

  10. #10

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    968

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    The landscaping of Disneyland Paris is part of the allure. Fake flowers in a Main Street garden bed definitely qualifies as very cheap, bad show.

  11. #11

    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bloody miles away
    Posts
    6,901

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    If we're talking about what looks better, the fake flowers do. They bring color to the area and look rather nice. Not as nice up close but this just reminds me of a movie set. What doesn't look right is the rope barrier.

    Now real flower are always nicer, but I don't see how this is bad show. That phrase gets thrown around by Disney fans way too often these days.
    Compare the photo in post #1 with the photo in post #7. Are you telling me that the former looks better than the latter?!

    Fake flowers may fit with the deliberate phoney atmosphere of WDS (and even then I don't think they do) but to have such glaring falsies in a prominant position on Main Street is verging on blasphamy!

    Disney parks are always getting rapped by 'non-believers' as manufactured, false environments. This just adds fuel to their fire. And saddens me.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011





  12. #12

    • Hall Of Promise
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Posts
    668

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by nathan detroit View Post
    Compare the photo in post #1 with the photo in post #7. Are you telling me that the former looks better than the latter?!

    Fake flowers may fit with the deliberate phoney atmosphere of WDS (and even then I don't think they do) but to have such glaring falsies in a prominant position on Main Street is verging on blasphamy!

    Disney parks are always getting rapped by 'non-believers' as manufactured, false environments. This just adds fuel to their fire. And saddens me.
    I would have loved if the tree was saved, but I still don't have a problem with artificial flowers. I probably would have never noticed if they were never brought to my attention.

    Yes it may be cheap, but 90% of what is along Main Street is fake. I see more stamped brick patterns in Disney Parks than real but am I calling bad show for it? Of course not.

    I would much prefer real flowers, yes, but Disney doesn't strive to make these creations to be authentic or real to life but to create a believable show. I am not going to dislike something because Disney didn't invest a higher budget into something, but it does usually help. Nonetheless as long as the story is portrait successfully I will be happy. These fake flowers are probably temporary anyway.

    And since when was there a battle to convince these so called "non-believers?" What non-believers? And what are they supposed to believe?

    Again, I much prefer real flowers, but I'm not going to let it ruin my day if they are not. The parks are still extremely fun and bringing smiles to everyone's faces.
    Last edited by MagicWDI; 06-08-2008 at 10:41 AM.

  13. #13

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Well, keep in mind that these are photographs. On the Desperate Housewives set, all the wisterias on Wisteria Lane are fake. That's fine, because you'd never tell from the footage (not to mention the uber-soft lighting they employ to make everyone look 26). In real life, you can tell. And frankly in this case, it's even obvious from the pictures.

    It's not the end of the world, but it's just another little downgrade that doesn't seem to be necessary.

    And yes, a huge part of Disney's allure is the landscaping. Disney is fake as can be, but the greenery has always for the most part been real, and amazingly so. DLP's Adventureland is filled with tropical-looking plants because a team of highly skilled horticulturists keeps it that way. Disney's Animal Kingdom is a botanical wonder. If a trend should ever develop toward fake plants, then that would be tragic.

    Oh, and another thing -- the new Tokyo Disneyland Hotel has a series of fake topiaries. Which is probably much worse than this...

  14. #14

    • TR2N. Are You Ready?
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    183

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    maybe they did that because all the careless people step all over them?

    I am looking for VMK Cards! Please email me if you have some!

  15. #15

    • is satisfactual.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    2,134

    Re: Plastic flowers in DLP!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Destination View Post
    maybe they did that because all the careless people step all over them?
    It must have been a particularly careless person to trample a 20 ft birch to death. That's commitment to holding up TDL-FAN's stereotype on Europeans, haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Our oceans are turning into plastic...are we?
    By Spidergrrrl in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 05:45 PM
  2. I Want My Traditional Christmas Plastic Mug!!
    By WatchYourHeadNStep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •