Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Rock The World

Mystery building planned for the Studios

Evenin' all. It's nice to be back on the boards after my extended break, and even nicer to be able to announce some exciting - and rather unexpected - news.

Grandmath, head of the Disney Central Plaza forum, has announced that height tests for some sort of future construction, were being carried out yesterday morning on the expanse of lawn behind The Art Of Disney Animation. (Anyone who remembers the coloured balloons used to gauge the visual impact of Crush's Coaster ahead of its construction will know what I mean.)

What's more, our old friend La Rouquine overheard a trio of Imagineers discussing sightlines to the Tower Of Terror, making sure the new building (whatever it turns out to be) doesn't block the view from the Toon Studio photo location.

You'll find the full story (and a couple of handy photos) [U]at Disneycentralplaza.englishboard.net

Is it a ride? A restaurant? A shop? Whatever it is, it sounds like it's going to be about the same height as Crush's Coaster.
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-17-2008 at 02:28 PM. Reason: link edited
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• No honestly it is me

Re: Mystery building planned for the Studios

Interesting.

I think it may well be a Ratatouille restaurant, I would love it to be the Japanese version of Monsters Inc though, which uses Toy Story mania technology.

I share the view of many of the posters though, they really need to think about growing the overal footprint of WDS rather than just filling in all the gaps. They will never be able to cope with serious visitor numbers unless they do.

• Senior Minion

It will definately be a pin trading centre. The Europeans go nuts for pin trading
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

• is satisfactual.

Very interesting!

I sincerely hope it's a restaurant or a shop. As I've said before, the WDS has enough rides for now. It needs more nooks and crannies; things to do, eat, browse, buy or discover, things that don't involve a queue. Toon Studio in particular could really use a well-themed restaurant or gift shop to enhance its street level atmosphere (well, so could the Backlot, but where to start?). So this might be grand.

Also, interesting opinion about the need for actual expansion as opposed to just filling in the gaps. I agree, but let's remember that only a few years ago people couldn't wait to see those gaps filled...

What's strange though is that as Soundtracker pointed out, the balloons reached a height similar to Crush's, which is very high, and crew members were overheard discussing the possibility that the view of the Tower of Terror from Toon Studio might be blocked. What would they be needing a building that high for...?
    Last edited by pussnboots; 06-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Source www.wdsfans.com

A Ratatouille darkride nibbling its way to WDS?
    Posted by raptor1982 on Thursday, May 15 2008
    Guimik, a member on Disney Central Plaza Forum claims he overheard 2 Imagineers talking to each other in Toon Studio about a Ratatouille attraction. He says they were carrying a concept art representing Gusteau's restaurant that's supposed to go behind the Studio Tram Tour Station. Of course, we can't take this seriously... Or can we?

Toon Studio expansion: more information
    Posted by raptor1982 on Thursday, June 12 2008

More information has surfaced about the possible expansion of Toon Studio. According to Grandmath on Disney Central Plaza, a plan exists backstage showing a large building over the grass area and the Studio Tram Tour route, what would mean that a re-route of the tour (and a relocation of its station) would be necessary and allow expansion of the current Hollywood Blvd.
    Who knows right?
    - Milo

• Rock The World

Nice find, Milo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Ratatouille-themed version of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, with a restaurant attached to it. Well, I can dream, can't I?
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzog View Post
    Soundtracker you cheeky chipmunk

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by soundtracker View Post
    Nice find, Milo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Ratatouille-themed version of Mr Toad's Wild Ride, with a restaurant attached to it. Well, I can dream, can't I?
    Ooh, that gets my vote. It's always such a lovely moment between the first, faint signs of a new attraction and the cold reality of the press release.

(On a more cynical, bubble-bursting note; as wonderful as the idea of Gusteau's is, this French section would be amidst a Route 66 section, an Australian underwater section and a Hollywood section and thus won't change the arbitrary, tossed salad-like quality of the area. But I suppose we'll just have to live with the fact that the park will never truly make sense.)

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Ooh, that gets my vote. It's always such a lovely moment between the first, faint signs of a new attraction and the cold reality of the press release.

(On a more cynical, bubble-bursting note; as wonderful as the idea of Gusteau's is, this French section would be amidst a Route 66 section, an Australian underwater section and a Hollywood section and thus won't change the arbitrary, tossed salad-like quality of the area. But I suppose we'll just have to live with the fact that the park will never truly make sense.)
    That's not really a problem for me. Toon Studio is supposed to be the area where animated movies are being made and therefore feature several filmsets, in this case being sets for scenes in Aladdin, Finding Nemo and Cars. Visit a real film studio and you'll bump into non-related areas just as much.

That being said, I'm looking forward to any kind of expansion. I'm not so sure about a highly themed Paris-section. Makes me think about the nonsense of having a California-themed park in the middle of the state itsself, thus eliminiating the reason for tourists to must-see the fake icons when you can see the real thing around the corner.

• On A Disney World Tour...

Rejoice the studios is on fast track to becoming a disney park !
    Comparing the world's 5 Magic Kingdoms on my blog : 5 Kingdoms

• Senior Minion

As much as I love the movie Ratatouille (it made me cry!), I would far more welcome a non-Pixar related addition to Toon Studios. Afterall Cars and Crush already over-shadow Aladdin and erm... Donald Duck in that section of the park.
    WDW - 1987 & 1991
    DLP - 1996, 2004, 2006 & 2007
    DLR - October 2011

edit:
    sorry wrong topic
    Last edited by milo_vhw; 06-13-2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: delirious
    - Milo

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by michielv View Post
    That's not really a problem for me. Toon Studio is supposed to be the area where animated movies are being made and therefore feature several filmsets, in this case being sets for scenes in Aladdin, Finding Nemo and Cars. Visit a real film studio and you'll bump into non-related areas just as much.
    Well, I'm sure you know your studios, but I personally don't really think the area works all that well. It lacks coherence, something stronger than the individual sets that ties the area together. It's a lovely little story -- you're on a busy set, lights, cameras, whimsy; Finding Nemo take 2! -- but that doesn't come across at all in the actual area, leaving nothing more than a scattering of rides.

Nice rides, to be sure, but I don't think it's the right "path" for the park. Quirky modern eclecticism didn't work for DCA, and at what's the most popular area of DHS? Certainly not the Backlot, but the well-themed, coherent, "immersive" Sunset Boulevard. And don't make me get TDS into this.

(sorry, I occasionally become possessed by a second rate Kevin Yee.)

• Hitchhiker

This buildning should be part of Hollywood boulevard expansion housing real restaurants and shops. Also Tram Tour station will make way for this.
    Last edited by Zarniwoop; 06-13-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

• is satisfactual.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarniwoop View Post
    This buildning should be part of Hollywood boulevard expansion housing real restaurants and shops. Also Tram Tour station will make way for this.
    Ah, you read about that too? If you found it on Disney Central Plaza, could you perhaps tell me where to find La Rouquine's post? I can't seem to find it.

• Hitchhiker

Quote Originally Posted by pussnboots View Post
    Ah, you read about that too? If you found it on Disney Central Plaza, could you perhaps tell me where to find La Rouquine's post? I can't seem to find it.
    Just browse this topic: disneycentralplaza.englishboard.net
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-17-2008 at 02:29 PM. Reason: link edited
    ----
    Cheers,
    Zarniwoop

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast