Exclamation DLH @ DLR: Don't miss the nightly "Fantasy Waters" show at 9:00 and 10:00 p.m.

So I work at the DLR and constantly have people asking me what ever happened to the FANTASY WATERS show, near the Wonder tower every night.
    Being a 3rd Generation cast member, I asked myself the same question. For where has our beloved Fantasy Waters show gone? My earliest memories of this spectacle of liquid date back to my pre-kindergarden years, when my dear 'ol grammy would take me those few blocks from home once a week, to see a watershow that far surpassed that of Bullwinkles or anything of the sort.
    I know that since the resort's declaration of independence in Anaheim, CA- there were talks about dumping the show for a minature golf course (lame idea, but good family fun.) But is it really that important that Disney direct all of it's evening traffic to Downtown Disney to empty guests pockets?! What ever happened to the Disney spirit that spread joy to those simply embracing the Disneyland surroundings, period?
    Who's willing to start a bit of an uproar to return the now "Tropical Fountain" to it's original glory of spraying water and magic? I know if people World-Wide ask for it on a minute-by-minute basis when arriving to the resort (now let down by a sappy circling fountain,) that there is hope for this ancient masterpiece. I know that all of the old pumps and lines are still in place behind the massive waterfall wall behind the fountain, the foundation still stands in place, and there could be major possibilities with the right motivation.

ARE YOU DOWN TO REVIVE THE FANTASY WATERS? Speak up now, or I will forever loose faith. Thanks everyone.

Re: DLH @ DLR: Don't miss the nightly "Fantasy Waters" show at 9:00 and 10:00 p.m.

With "World of Color" being put together right now (to me it sounds just like a larger Fantasy Waters), it's hard to see them actually following through with reviving a night time show out of either park gates. But Im all for reviving it 100% because I miss the show as much as you do. But, I don't see it happening ever. Unless if they rebuilt the hotel like rumors have stated. They might be able rebuild Fantasy Waters too. An maybe make it free to hotel guests but $5 for the general public.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Re: DLH @ DLR: Don't miss the nightly "Fantasy Waters" show at 9:00 and 10:00 p.m.

It just sits there with some trees inside of it. It wouldn't be hard to revive it. I think the bigger question is why was it taken out in the first place?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Ah, the Fantasy Waters. When my husband and I married in 1977, we honeymooned at the Disneyland Hotel. When we made our reservations it was ESSENTIAL that our room was high enough, but not too high (and on the correct side of the building) so we could enjoy the show from our room. Good times!!

Talking Re: DLH @ DLR: Don't miss the nightly "Fantasy Waters" show at 9:00 and 10:00 p.m.

I keep hearing rumors and tales about this World of Colour. I can only imagine that it would be similar to Fantasmic's PEACOCK SYSTEM (www.WaterScrim.com) - but on a much larger scale with fire barges and integrated fireworks. So the tale goes that it will be apart of the DCA belated FULFILMENT?! If so I could see that horizon being an amazing location for a massive show of it's scale.
    The only thing is, with a 360-view around the bay, it would require an abundance of seperate water screens to project properly (so no features are mirrored) from the view of Toy Story Mania versus the opposite view at performing pavillion/Pacific Pier bridge. Then again, everything Imagineering does never ceases to amaze me (good/akward.)
    Either way.. I concur with the $5 charge for the general public at Fantasy Waters, but at the same time it would anger those used to seeing it for free (you can't please everyone) and generate additional revenue with bookings at the hotel, versus the 'lucky-8' across the street.
    Who knows where it will go, if this thread grows- there's always that much more momentum for it to come back ;-)
    The story goes that since there were so many technical errors and constant flow control issues in the later date of the show (Eisner days) that it eventually became more hastle and looked poor on the hotel. Where there's a will, there's a way. I have degrees in show design and production technology, my mentor is one of the creators of the peacock system and the waterscrim (link above.) So I have faith that it can get done, all it takes is time a determination. :-D

• Banned User

The funny thing is that Fantasy Waters was taken out around 2004/05. That's 3 years after all of the refurbishments around the Disneyland Resort. Why then is my question?

• Shubisha

It was in such disrepair anyways. The fountains are one thing but the lighting is another. The viewing area lost its appeal when the area was renovated and it became less secluded, and the little light-up figurines hadn't been working for years when it finally closed.

• Fireworks Finatic!

I really wish they would bring Fantasy Waters back! It's so sad how they dropped in a few trees in the top portion and planted vines to grow up the wall of squares which would light up. It looks so awful now! Guess they did not want to spend the money yet to tear down the whole thing. It could not have cost that much to maintain. Hopefully they will do something with this area soon. But I bet right now they are waiting to see the final outcome of the entire Disneyland Hotel itself. Whether they refurb the towers or just start from scratch.

• -

I would love for the Fantasy Waters show to return. But there may be other plans for the DLH now.

Quote Originally Posted by TechOperation View Post
    I keep hearing rumors and tales about this World of Colour. I can only imagine that it would be similar to Fantasmic's PEACOCK SYSTEM (www.WaterScrim.com) - but on a much larger scale with fire barges and integrated fireworks. So the tale goes that it will be apart of the DCA belated FULFILMENT?! If so I could see that horizon being an amazing location for a massive show of it's scale.
    The only thing is, with a 360-view around the bay, it would require an abundance of seperate water screens to project properly (so no features are mirrored) from the view of Toy Story Mania versus the opposite view at performing pavillion/Pacific Pier bridge. :-D

From what i am hearing the World of Color show is not suppose to have a 360-view. It is being designed to be viewed from the northern edge of the bay only. That is why there was no problem adding the extended queue, hot dog stand, and turkey leg ODv at the waters edge on the south side of the bay.

The viewing area being built will have room for at least 9,000 guests which is comparable to the 10,000 for fantasmic around the rivers edge.

As for fantasy water, it would be nice to see the show back or the area at least redone.

If it was my decision, i would just tear out all of the Disneyland hotel property and start by scratch. the layout could use a change and the overal use of the proprty seems wasteful.

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

I would love to see the return of Fantasy Waters.

The show opened up in 1970 as "Dancing Waters" And was replaced with a new show by Waltzing Waters inc, and given the name "Fantasy Waters" in 1991.

The show was shut down in November of 2004. Disney neglected the show for years prior to 2004, and let it sit there and slowly die, Disney took kind of a Six Flags approach on so called "updating it"

So, over the years... pumps quit working, lighting started going out. The entire theater was really starting to fall apart, and the hideous fiber optic panels behind the fountains that they for some reason kept all throughout the 90's just really exposed the show's age.

Had they updated to LED, I think the show would possibly still be in existence, along with a new fountain system installed by Waltzing Waters.

So, the theater still stands to this day... STILL neglected by Disney. It's almost as if that area has an anti-magical forcefield around it... and Disney has no imagination to fill that area in.