Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Monorail Expansion Plan by me

So, we've got the Mark VII, in a way. Disney's thinking about a third gate. The monorail system needs to be extended. If this third gate ever gets built, it's either bus or monorail. There is no other way to get to it. Anyways, I made a map that shows my plans for expansion. (Yes, it was in paint so bear with me...)

So, there it is. Now let me explain the markings.

Red = Existing Track
    Blue = Existing Station
    Purple = Proposed Station
    Green = Proposed Track
    Black = Track/ Station to be dismantled

So, I'll start off with the big green loop. DCA needs a monorail station. This would be accomplished by putting on in the back by Screamin' and Carsland. That loop would then go onto the proposed third gate. I'm not going to worry about that here. It will reach a station there, and then go back to DCA, however, there will be no station on the return. Then it will loop back around to pass through the grand Californian, where there would be a station. To accomplish that loop where they cross, the track coming in would steady incline and turn into DCA right after the bridge, the bottom loop would decline and turn into the GC tunnel 1. So, after the GC station, we would NOT go to DTD station. In this plan, that is gone. The track would be rerouted into the hotel grounds like it should be, providing guests with better access. From the hotel it would take a short ride to the parking structure. On the map I marked it as going down the center tram loading strip, but it could be put in pinochio. The reason for this station is not for people toi go to DCA or DL (although it will be). It's to get guests to the third gate. You can't run a tram and there is no parking by it. I'd prefer not to have busses, either, so a monorail is the way to go. From that station, it would u turn and connect with the exsisting track after the what would be former DTD station.

Far Fetched? Yes. Coll idea? Yes. Can vthey afford it? No. Can I dream? Well, according to their promotion I can... anbd they say dreams come true. Anyways, Discuss! Would it work? Too complicated? More/Less stations? What would you do?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• =)

Re: Monorail Expansion Plan by me

I like the idea, though I'm not fond of the idea of the monorail further disturbing the thematic unity in DCA. (Yes, I know it makes no sense zipping around the Matterhorn.)

I think it is an awesome idea. I have always wanted them to expand the monorail track. The station next to the parking structure might get too crazy at times. The Tram has a lot more capacity than an extended monorail track. But, maybe it would work because not EVERYONE is going to try and get on the monorail. I really wish they would expand it, but I think it is really expensive.

• I love my family!

I like the idea but, I think it would just open up to many issues (like having to have a ticket center at the structure) for the overall cost of such a small expansion.

I think a new second Monorail line should be built on the east side of the parks that will link the new hotels, structure and third gate to DL.
    I think if they don't find a way to link them besides buses, the whole "resort" idea could be lost.

• Senior Minion

I've been thinking a lot about this lately. First, I don't see expanding the existing monorail system being a viable option. The capacity of them is too small, the beam design won't allow much more weight, and there are cooling issues with the current train design. There are also complex ticketing issues that would come up adding monorail stops inside the other parks, it make much more sense for the existing monorail to remain inside Disneyland and for a new separate system to be designed for transportation through the resort.

I would think something along the lines of a People Mover system might be more economical, especially because they could probably design sections of it to be built on or just above the ground. A large-scale monorail might also serve the area, but that would be a major private-government funded project that would hopefully connect the resort to other destinations in the region. I’ve also been developing a plan in my mind for the resort overall and have been planning on putting together a thread to describe it all eventually, but I’ll summarize some of the ideas I’ve been thinking since it was brought up.

I would think that the resort would best be served by three People Mover lines, rather than a loop type of system. It would be more like a mini version of subway system in a major city. You would be able to get from any one point in the resort to any other, but in some cases you would have to transfer to another train. This would make it possible to cover the whole resort, and also make it efficient to transport great numbers of people between the busiest routes more directly.

I guess I need to expain a few of my overall resort ideas before I explain the transportation. I would create a major transportation hub near the existing monorail station. This would be where the regional transportation would connect to the resort as well as one of the major hubs for the Peoplemover system. My overall plan for the resort would be that DTD would be expanded all the way north to around the Pinocchio lot area, which would house an expanded Mickey and Friends parking structure. Above and behind the stores on the West side of this expanded DTD area a new hotel would be built. This would add hotel capacity, so that the DLH could be demolished and replaced. South of the new DLH, the PP Hotel would be expanded and connected to a partially indoor water park that would be built in the parking lot as well as a large new business class hotel and another parking structure for the hotels. The business class hotel would serve convention guests and act as kind of a berm between the resort and the housing to the west and wrap around the south side of the parking lot as well.

The third gate would be in the strawberry field as planned. The east side of the existing parks would host the following. In the east side of the esplanade, a new hotel would be built and integrated into that building would be a major transportation hub. The parking structure in Pumba would be built and Garden Walk would be expanded over to Harbor and would host three more Disney operated hotels. Ideally, Disney would buy out the Garden Walk so they could just do what they wanted to with the whole area. The last Disney hotel would be at the gates of the third park and another major transportation hub would be built in this area. I also would guess that they would try and buy the property that Sun Cal was trying to develop and build another parking structure there as well.

As I said before, the PM system would have three lines. The existing tram system would remain and guests heading directly to DL or DCA would still be directed towards the trams, but you could also take the PM’s. Two of these PM lines would start at the expanded Mickey & Friends structure and head south toward the main transportation hub. They would both have a station between the new DTD hotel on the north side of the new DLH, and then stop at the main transportation hub. This is where these two lines would split. One line would go on to the east and on to the current tram drop of area near the esplanade. The other would keep heading south, have a stop that would serve the new business class hotel, PP hotel, and water park, then turn east down Katella, have a stop near the convention center and then end at the third gate. The last line would start at the new transportation hub at the east side of the esplanade. It would go to the new Pumba parking structure, then on to a stop near the two Disney operated hotels in Garden Walk, then on to the third gate transportation hub. Eventually, with some support from Anaheim, this line would be extended down Harbor to also connect many of the non-Disney hotels to the system.

So that’s a summary of what I would propose. It would provide transportation from close by every Disney operated hotel to close to every major attraction within the resort and be a really cool system that would be an attraction in itself.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I don't think they're ever going to put in a third park. If they do it won't be for at least another 20-30 years.

• Sock Puppet

Sad Re: Monorail Expansion Plan by me

keep in mind a problem with any of this stuff being added is that it is immediate justification for hikes in ticket prices, parking prices, everything across the board. i'm going to cringe if they tear down the DLH, because it is a very nice hotel imho. (don't ask, i'm a weird pup when it comes to anything related to architecture)

study stuff like the riverbelle terrace reconstruction and subsquent food price hikes and portion shrinkage just to see where it goes. The same probably happened with the recent French Market menu change. supposedly it's healthier, but not on the wallet I bet...

imagine them charging fares to access a people mover or even monorail type train setup similar to a city bus. $3 currently gets you a all day pass on the dreaded octa system... when does disney do that to recoup their overbloated investment in a new infrastructure? (oops, i'm giving them ideas now... ugh)

it is scary and disgusting that what it cost to build the park back in 55 today now would just be a downpayment on the "study/feasibilty" of even starting to sink holes in the ground for <whatever new idea here>

to borrow that old cliche, i'd love to see what would happen with walt disney being alive to see all the current resort wide farces going on from the monorail to the fact that most days indiana jones can't be working for no more then 23 minutes after park opening, to the fact the "crown jewel" fire engine on main street is so shoddily taken care of from the brass to the cracked wheel on the back passengers side, monorails crappily built to lame disney specificiations and everything else in between, etc etc. not to even mention the horrible mistreatment of the cast lifeblood of the company with subpar wages and excessive unrealistic 1955 era demands...

(Cast scheduling still loves to treat all the cast cattle like it is the first opening day of the park still and you are subject to their excessive demands and whims. want to go on vacation? zilch. family issues? nada. where else do you have a manager show up at a funeral to actually make sure someone died and they aren't just saying someone died just so they can get a week off? why disneyland of course. how about being called in for just a 3-4 hour shift, maybe sent home for 8 hours or less, only to be forced to come back for another split shift then be extended like crazy?)

dreams are good things to have for the future of the resort, but not until most of the managers/ceos stuck in their bloated positions are fired asap and replaced with those that actually care to pursue them, not be buried in a mountain of redtape and restrictions more worse then height requirements for rides...

• Senior Monorail Minion

Something I forgot to mention here is how tickets would work. You would not need a ticket to board the monorail. This means that each exit into a park would have a ticket taking center, but not sell tickets, like the current DTD station. This would be easy to work int the design for a DCA station because it is new. The only problem would be retrofitting the Tommorowland Station. To do this, I simply would have people board from the stair case on left side of the station (if your coming off a train). The exit would be the ramp, and would be retrofitted with two ticket taking stations. While the new stations would be set up like DTD except in reverse, tomorowland would have to have some fencing on the main platform added to keep people from hopping into the park.. So retrofit tommorowland and your good to go.
    WELCOME ABOARD

I'd say get rid of the in park Tomorrowland station and add a station to the right of the Disneyland main gate. That way the Monorail would be completely out of the parks and could service both DCA and Disneyland's main gates.

So you'd have stations at:

1. Parking Lot
    2. Main Gates
    3. DL Hotel
    4. 3rd Gate

• Senior Monorail Minion

I disagree with that. The best part of the monorail is going over tommorowland. Plus, the roundhouse is back there and that can't change...
    WELCOME ABOARD

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I like the idea, though I'm not fond of the idea of the monorail further disturbing the thematic unity in DCA. (Yes, I know it makes no sense zipping around the Matterhorn.)
    I'm not sure I understand why it doesn't make sense going around the Matterhorn? Couldn't a monorail of tomorrow take us skiing or up a mountain for a sled ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    I disagree with that. The best part of the monorail is going over tommorowland. Plus, the roundhouse is back there and that can't change...

I'm not talking about getting rid of the track, just the station. The TL flyby would still be there.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Still, I have a thing for that station. It was original, so I'd have to keep it. Your idea is good- I see what your trying to do, I always liked stations in the back, and one in DCA would be nice. The walk to Screamin' seems to be longer than the wait sometimes!
    WELCOME ABOARD

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I don't think they're ever going to put in a third park. If they do it won't be for at least another 20-30 years.
    I believe they will, definitely before 20 years. Why would they have spent all that money fighting the Sun Cal housing proposal if it wasn't going to be adjacent to the third gate? Why would they be buying up land? They can't just sit on those properties forever without new develors coming along with new housing proposals claiming that they should be able to build becuase Disney's just sitting on that property. Why would be investing in growing the resort so much, if it wasn't with the intent of growing into a full fledged resort which would require another gate and more hotels? Why not do this if it can make more money?

I also believe Disney has told a lot people they are going to build a third gate, of course they could back out, but I doubt they will. Reportedly, they have told the city of Anaheim, and I'm guessing they've told the owners of Garden Walk some kind of approximate timeline, or I doubt they would have taken the risk to build it. I also believe they will add many more hotel rooms, that's a no brainer, clearly there's still an appetite for Disney hotels in Anaheim and that can be grown a lot by making it a full fledged resort. They have an opportunity for this postage stamp size amount of land to actually start to pull in WDW kind of money, why wouldn't they do this?
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Something I forgot to mention here is how tickets would work. You would not need a ticket to board the monorail. This means that each exit into a park would have a ticket taking center, but not sell tickets, like the current DTD station. This would be easy to work int the design for a DCA station because it is new. The only problem would be retrofitting the Tommorowland Station. To do this, I simply would have people board from the stair case on left side of the station (if your coming off a train). The exit would be the ramp, and would be retrofitted with two ticket taking stations. While the new stations would be set up like DTD except in reverse, tomorowland would have to have some fencing on the main platform added to keep people from hopping into the park.. So retrofit tommorowland and your good to go.

Can you imagine the chaos that would be caused by non ticketholding guests who get off in TL?

With a station IN the park you would have to limit access to ticketholding guest only, otherwise the Monorail CM's would go insane dealing with all the issues that would be created.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast